universal cyclist?trail user frs emergency chanel (channel 12 sub channel 10)- Mtbr.com
    the wrench

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! universal cyclist/trail user frs emergency chanel (channel 6 sub channel 10)

after reading another members post about frs walkie talikies it gave me an idea. esentially we establish an unformal cyclist/trail user emergency channelon the frs band. this way it would be safer if you were to go out solo and become demobilized for whatever reason. then as long as someone else has their radio on and listning to that channel just incase of such an event they can be contacted for help, weather its another cyclist that helps or he/she gets help from another source, ie. park rangers.

i will have to say this once again that this channel is for emergency use only and not to use it for trying to see if there is someone else there just for the heck of it or for communicating with youre group durring a ride! i say this because if this channel gets used for other purposes than emergencies then people are just going to turn it off because they will be bothered unnessarilly durring a ride for something thats not an emergency.
    NOTE: this channel can be use for warnings such as a bear, mountain lion sighting etc..

the channel to be used for this emergency listen in is channel 6 sub channel 10.
    (revised to 6,10 for gmrs compatability 5/1/04)

rember to carry youre frs radio whenever you ride even if its with a group because it could help save someone elses life and even your own.

***moderators***
    please make this a sticky
    Last edited by garboui; 01-05-2005 at 05:59 AM.
    do it, do it DO IT!!
    DOOOO IIIIIT!!

Turner Homer
    Quote Originally Posted by garboui
    after reading another members post about frs walkie talikies it gave me an idea. esentially we establish an unformal cyclist/trail user emergency channelon the frs band. this way it would be safer if you were to go out solo and become demobilized for whatever reason. then as long as someone else has their radio on and listning to that channel just incase of such an event they can be contacted for help, weather its another cyclist that helps or he/she gets help from another source, ie. park rangers.

i will have to say this once again that this channel is for emergency use only and not to use it for trying to see if there is someone else there just for the heck of it or for communicating with youre group durring a ride! i say this because if this channel gets used for other purposes than emergencies then people are just going to turn it off because they will be bothered unnessarilly durring a ride for something thats not an emergency.
    NOTE: this channel can be use for warnings such as a bear, mountain lion sighting etc..

the channel to be used for this emergency listen in is channel 12 sub channel 10.

rember to carry youre frs radio whenever you ride even if its with a group because it could help save someone elses life and even your own.

***moderators***
    please make this a sticky
    But the only thing that you have to think about with frs is the power output of them. Most of the smaller radios only could go 2.5 miles(line of sight)and some of the trails that some of us ride are more than that , and there would have to be someone near by in that range. But I think that they would be very good for heavely populated areas where there may be more than one or two bikers on the trail, but they wouldn't be really all that good for people like me who ride by myself, or at times ride with one or two people at once. So it sounds like a very good idea to set up a emergency specific channel, and please someone correct me if I am wrong, because I haven't used frs radio's in a long time. Theses are my two cents.
    Dave

the wrench
    even though they dont have a great range it would still be better than nothing. i have had them work up to 6km non line of sight on fresh batteries. i as well ride alone alot but even though there may be 10 other cars in the parking lot i can still ride 30km and not pass anyoune but that doesnt nessarily mean that theres no noe close enough to pick up signal. even if i dont see anyone i will sometimes hear people on winding or parallel trails.
    do it, do it DO IT!!
    DOOOO IIIIIT!!

Turner Homer
    Quote Originally Posted by garboui
    even though they dont have a great range it would still be better than nothing. i have had them work up to 6km non line of sight on fresh batteries. i as well ride alone alot but even though there may be 10 other cars in the parking lot i can still ride 30km and not pass anyoune but that doesnt nessarily mean that theres no noe close enough to pick up signal. even if i dont see anyone i will sometimes hear people on winding or parallel trails.
    You've got a good point there that it is better than nothing, because you could get in a bad accident and someone could just be scanning and hear your calls for help. I also have been thinking for a while to take my 2 meter ham radio for awhile, but it is kind of big. Peace
    Dave

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    The GMRS radios do not have 12.10
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

the wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    The GMRS radios do not have 12.10
    almost all frs radios have 12 10

whats gmrs i am having trouble putting the acronym to the device?
    do it, do it DO IT!!
    DOOOO IIIIIT!!

Apr 2004
    I thought channel 1 was to be used for emergencies?

Don't worry, be happy!
    9-11 is the standard for emergency use in a lot of areas where FRS is monitered.

formica

Jan 2004

Channel 10?

I was skiing on the backside of Heavenly, the Nevada side, and was trying to contact my kids who took a side trip into Mott's Canyon (there's some excellent skiing in Mott's). We were using channel 10, with no sub channel, on some old Motorola FRS radios, with 14 channels and no sub-channels.

The Carson City police came on the channel and gave us $hit for using channel 10. Smokey told us that channel 10 is for emergencies only, and told us in no uncertain terms to get off that channel.

So, is looks like, at least in the Carson City area, they use FRS channel 10, for emergencies already.

old_dude

Turner Homer
    b
    Quote Originally Posted by old_dude
    I was skiing on the backside of Heavenly, the Nevada side, and was trying to contact my kids who took a side trip into Mott's Canyon (there's some excellent skiing in Mott's). We were using channel 10, with no sub channel, on some old Motorola FRS radios, with 14 channels and no sub-channels.

The Carson City police came on the channel and gave us $hit for using channel 10. Smokey told us that channel 10 is for emergencies only, and told us in no uncertain terms to get off that channel.

So, is looks like, at least in the Carson City area, they use FRS channel 10, for emergencies already.

old_dude
    If some of you remember cb radio I remember that when I was a kid, I remember getting on channel nine, and someone getting on and saying not to use that channel, and it is only for emergency use only. But I don't think that this channel is used for this anymore.

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dtrek4500
    bIf some of you remember cb radio I remember that when I was a kid, I remember getting on channel nine, and someone getting on and saying not to use that channel, and it is only for emergency use only. But I don't think that this channel is used for this anymore.

I think it still is, but used mostly by truckers.

Members who have read this thread: 0