Trying to work out the logistics of moving to the big city with a mountain bike.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2018

Trying to work out the logistics of moving to the big city with a mountain bike.

I'm moving from a small town the interior of BC to Vancouver in a few weeks. I'm excited for the north shore and Squamish and whistler and all that, but not sure how it's all going to work:

1. If I move into a building with communal bike storage, it would be crazy to store my expensive full suspension bike there? How do you deal with buildings that don't allow bikes in suites?

2. Is tenants insurance worth it? Could I get the insurance and then keep my bike in the common area?

3. I've got a station wagon with a roof rack. I looked into getting a hitch rack, but it was cost prohibitive. How do I deal with a parking garage?

4. How do you wash your bike if you live in an apartment?

I'm probably overthinking all of this, it will all work out. But, any advice would be appreciated.

All fat, all the time.
    I'm no help, I moved away from a big city.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by bikessuck View Post
    I'm moving from a small town the interior of BC to Vancouver in a few weeks. I'm excited for the north shore and Squamish and whistler and all that, but not sure how it's all going to work:

1. If I move into a building with communal bike storage, it would be crazy to store my expensive full suspension bike there? How do you deal with buildings that don't allow bikes in suites?

2. Is tenants insurance worth it? Could I get the insurance and then keep my bike in the common area?

3. I've got a station wagon with a roof rack. I looked into getting a hitch rack, but it was cost prohibitive. How do I deal with a parking garage?

I'm probably overthinking all of this, it will all work out. But, any advice would be appreciated.
    Frankly, my bike is my property and is going into my paid for living space regardless... Wash the bike at a hose bib somewhere around the building!
    My bike rides in the Jeep, not on the Jeep!
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

Cycologist

I would only store it in my apartment, I certainly wouldn't store it in a communal area.

Will it not fit in the back of the station wagon? Otherwise, you'll have to pull your car out and park it on the street and load the bike.

You can buy something like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-1-Ga...HDXA/307766754 and wash it before you load it back in/on your car.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

Rippin da fAt
    I have been seeing a battery powered pressure washer that will pull water from a bucket or other source and spray a bike. Used with common sense, perhaps an option for the bike wash side of things.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    I'd say not to use the common area as well. However, not all common areas are the same. If it's a high-end complex with security and other high-end bikes in it, it's not the same risk as other situations. Unless your lease explicitly atates that you can't bring a bicycle into your unit, you can.

All complexes have ways to wash items outside. I'm not aware of any that don't. Make friends with the manager, that'll get you a long way. Simply get a little hose and ask where you can wash something. They don't want your filthy bike in a common area or elevator either. If that doesn't work email their boss, the department property manager. That typically gets you what you want within reason.

DEFINITELY get the insurance. That'll cover your bike if it gets ripped off from your car for example, and many other things. Most any modern parking garage would accommodate a station wagon with a rack no problem.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Apartments usually have car wash bay fowashing cars. You can wash bikes

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

mtbr member

I am in your situation as well. here are my thoughts

1. I think it would be silly to keep a premium bike there, I don't use the one in my building because it is full of walmart bikes leaned up against eachother. I just bring my bike up from the basement parking garage up to my unit. I make sure not to get any dirt and shit everywhere but if I do, I go back and clean up after myself. If you are renting, they could more easily take retaliatory action. if you own, tell them they can send any condo association fines to your attorney.

2. IMO yes, some also cover many other things like identity theft. Never made a claim on mine when i was renting. I know people who have had their bikes stolen out of their apartment basement storage unit and were completely covered, though. It is something to discuss specifically with your insurance provider.

3. same situation here... I park outside, take the bike in, then take the car in. huge pain in the ass. But MUCH better than not having indoor parking. Hitch rack would be better if you have the cash to spend. If trails are not muddy, sometimes i just take the wheels off the bike and throw everything in the trunk/backseat to avoid the car rack situation.

4. I stop at the self service car washes (ones that take quarters) on my way home from muddy trails. Yes you can spray the mud off your bike with a car wash hose if you are not a complete buffoon. I have been doing this for years and I do not have problems. I disassemble my bikes completely every year to make sure everything is re-greased and whatnot.
    My name is George. Iím unemployed and I live with my parents.
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    After reading some of this it seems quite the pain in the ass situation.

Give up the sport.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    I would heartily recommend a platform type hitch rack. They're really easy to put the bike on/off and you can rinse the bike on the rack when you get home. I've had several but now use a Rockymounts Monorail. You can find lower cost alternatives.

Since you have a wagon, you can almost certainly put the bike in the back. Put a tarp in there or get a fabric cargo liner for it. I have an SUV and put my back in the back when the roads are crappy with salt and grit in the winter.

Def would bring the bike into living quarters if you don't have a private secure storage locker.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post

Give up the sport.
    Im just glad i no longer live in a 3rd floor walkup with on-street parking
    My name is George. Iím unemployed and I live with my parents.
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    You store your bike inside Apartment. Communal bike storage is unsafe. Any one can take the bike from storage

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

CEO Product Failure

Cool-blue Rhythm

I live in the city. Sold the 4200SF home out in the country last year. 1400+ SF condo now.

1. Any bikes you currently ride with a value over $50, store in your living space. I have our road bikes and mtbs inside our unit. I use a wood wall mount from a company named "Tallic". Its designed well enough that the mrs approves. My other bikes are in a storage unit which I have a separate insurance policy on.

2. Take video and pictures of all your bikes with you and meet face-to-face with your insurance agent. If you have them, bring receipts for the bikes. I just purchased a TB4 and my agent was in disbelief on what I paid. I have a writer on my bikes in addition to my renters insurance. You should also discuss getting a writer on any worthwhile jewelry. Last note on insurance, your renters/homeowners covers your bikes while they are on your car.

3. Washing bikes. Learned this from the SC demo crew, get a 5gal (or whatever size fits your life) garden pesticide sprayer. But never fill with chemicals; only water. Its portable and provides just enough pressure to rinse your bike. I have another bucket that I keep all my wash tools (sponges, brushes, chain cleaner, etc.) in. You can clean your bikes pretty much anywhere: trail head, parking lot, street side.

4. Transportation. I do have a hitch rack (and understand they can be cost prohibitiive). However, I only use the hitch rack if I am going directly to the trails. If I have other stops, the bike(s) go in my vehicle and I lock them together or to the frame of the vehicle with a NYC Kryptonite lock. Its difficult to hide bikes in my car (Toyota Highlander) so I want any would-be thieves to see the lock and know it won't a 5sec smash and grab.

mtbr member
    Your building doesn't allow bikes in your paid-for apartment? Is this your grandma's condo or something? Eff that noise. Keep it in your apt.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

NDD
    mtbr member
    I don't live in an apartment, but would strongly advise against using communal storage. I sold an old mountain bike to a work colleague of mine, because he wanted a bike and hadn't had one since starting college. He had it in the basement storage area and two old ladies took it when they moved. Probably had people helping them move that just grabbbed it.

Does your bike not fit in the station wagon? Can you not use one of those that rests on the hatchback window?
    dang

since 4/10/2009
    It would be helpful to know what sort of apartment you're talking about. What's the specific situation you're dealing with? Are we talking a high-rise? Low rise bldg with a communal entry? walk-up apartment buildings in a less dense area?

I think it depends on what that storage looks like and how it's implemented. I've seen a lot of different options here. That would determine how I treat it.

No way would I rent a place without renters insurance. What if some moron in your building starts a cooking fire because they don't know wtf they're doing? I think you'd need to ask the insurance provider if they cover bikes stored in whatever arrangement the apartment offers.

Parking garage means no roof rack. As much as it'd add cost, I think you're going to need to get a hitch rack. Inside the car can work in a pinch, but I was done with that method after doing it almost exclusively for a decade. It destroyed the interior of my car.

A pump activated garden sprayer will do the trick, as mentioned before, and be the cheapest. There are some portable sprayers on the market actually meant for this purpose. A friend of mine has one that is insulated so he can fill it with hot water at home, and use it for a warm wash for himself after his ride in the wintertime. It has some kind of expandable bladder that pressurizes the water. Some will use the sun to warm the water. There's one (RoadShower) that mounts to a roof rack, can be pressurized with a bike pump, and uses the sun to warm the water inside. All kinds of options with a wide range of cost.

mtbr member
    Life is way too short to have to live like that, bikessuck. Re-evaluate before you commit. Iíd jump off the roof if I had to live in that situation. Surely thereís a better option. And btw, bikes donít suck.
    DAAAANG...that was janky

CEO Product Failure
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir kayakalot View Post
    Life is way too short to have to live like that, bikessuck. Re-evaluate before you commit. Iíd jump off the roof if I had to live in that situation. Surely thereís a better option. And btw, bikes donít suck.
    Hey now! I resemble this comment. Its a change for sure but: we are empty nesters and no longer need to do any yard work (yay!), smaller place equals less to clean (yay!), no maintenance or home improvement projects, and for me it costs about $3500+ less per month to live in a condo than owning my own home (that's rent vs mortgage & all associated utilitites). "City living" is a change but not necessarily without advantages.

mtbr member
    it is doubtful that anyone is going to penalize you for bringing your bike into your apartment. I lived in apartments for over 15 years and always stored my bike(s) in my apartments and no one ever said anything. storing it in a communal area is guaranteed to get stolen or have parts pulled off it it, not to mention bird poop, scratches from other bikes, and dust. that might be different where you're moving but after living in San Antonio and Austin, Texas, as well as Indiana and Atlanta, it was never a problem.

buy a small chemical sprayer to clean your bike. I have one of these for $10USD at Home Depot for quick spray-downs to get the initial layer of crud off the bike. not very powerful, which is a good thing so you don't spray grease out of places you need to have grease. use a brush to push the rest of the mud off and an old toothbrush to get it out of the crannies. then hit it with the sprayer again to remove the rest. you could do this anywhere, probably best right after a ride so the bike can air-dry on the way home.

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 10.40.12 AM.png
Views: 64
Size:  91.6 KB

roof racks can be quite expensive and you might get a decent price if you sell it. it is inevitable that you WILL drive your bike right into the wall of a parking garage entually.

I installed a hitch and rack on my Honda Fit. the hitch was about the same cost as installation, which reduced my cost by 1/2 because I did it myself.

easier solution: how hard is it to fit your bike inside your car? that is much safer on many levels. I can fit just about any bicycle into any car by simply removing the front wheel. keep a tarp inside your car in case you have to drive home with a filthy bike and don't want crud all over the interior.

I never had to use it, but I've always paid for renter's insurance. not sure how that works in Canada, but it was cheap and always seemed worth it to mitigate the cost of replacing anything that might get stolen or damaged in my apartment.

mtbr member
    Most any complex will require you to hold a 100k renter's policy regardless, at least in the states. Here's a pro tip, they usually have a $500 deductible and cost around $100 annually. For an additional $10-$15 extra you can bring that deductible under $100. The broker/adjuster will not advertise this to you for obvious reasons. That extra $10-$15 is money well spent, trust me.
    I'd only concern myself with washing my bike off site if you can absolutely not wash it at your complex. Be nice, ask for what you want, you'll almost always get it.

mtbr member
    I have to admit I agree with this. Bike is only one reason for it. I don't like living that way and there are many options to keep costs and maintenance down that don't require that sort of living. I feel sorry for you, but hope you can get it all worked out.

BTW.. I have a 3 car garage and still keep all my bikes inside my house. Garage is for cars and my small RV. Driveway is for visitors.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", 19' Vassago Optimus Ti SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    +1. I have a friend who moved to NYC, and now he is only able to ride about 1-2 times per year.

Duck Fonald
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    I'd say not to use the common area as well. However, not all common areas are the same. If it's a high-end complex with security and other high-end bikes in it, it's not the same risk as other situations. Unless your lease explicitly atates that you can't bring a bicycle into your unit, you can.

All complexes have ways to wash items outside. I'm not aware of any that don't. Make friends with the manager, that'll get you a long way. Simply get a little hose and ask where you can wash something. They don't want your filthy bike in a common area or elevator either. If that doesn't work email their boss, the department property manager. That typically gets you what you want within reason.

DEFINITELY get the insurance. That'll cover your bike if it gets ripped off from your car for example, and many other things. Most any modern parking garage would accommodate a station wagon with a rack no problem.

My renters insurance is $10 a month when coupled with my auto ins. Liberty Mutual.
    ďThe further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.Ē

George Orwell

Duck Fonald

Give up the sport.
    Well, his user name IS bikessuck...
    ďThe further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.Ē

George Orwell

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    ....to add something useful to this thread, you need to work on ALL of the logistics of being able to bike. Your bike rack on the car is a perfect example. If you have to park on the street when you leave to load the bike...and then find parking again on the street just to get your car back in, that's going to be a nightmare.

Every single thing that adds work to your ability to go out and ride will turn into a reason not to do it in the first place. Before you know it, you'll be putting that bike on Facebook Marketplace. That'll definitely be a sad day.

....if you're saving a good amount of money by the move, you should be investing at least some of that in your hobby that you love and that keeps you mentally and physically fit.

NDD
    mtbr member
    There's only one worthwhile way to live and it's my way or the highway. Get cucked, bucko.
    dang

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Well, his user name IS bikessuck...
    Should be - bikessucktohaularound.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    According to your profile you are currently in Trail.

Tough move. You are giving up some really good riding that I think you will appreciate even more when you are on the coast. If others understood just how staggeringly good your trails are there would be a lot more people say "don't do it!!"

For a bike rack, you can always just put a blanket down in the back of your car and put your bike in it. Hauling muddy bike in and out sucks but having your bike inside the car gives some peace of mind.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

Cycologist
    I moved to a really big city back in the '90s and took my mountain bike. I ended up becoming an urban rider, exploring the city every weekend on my bike. It was great, really enjoyed it.

I have no desire to give up the trails and switch to urban riding now. But better to ride somehow rather than not ride at all.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

ccm
    aka Taprider
    It is common for condos and apartments in Vancouver that bikes are not permitted in your suite. Even though the real estate marketing materials are full of pictures of mtn bikes trying to promote the lifestyle you get with buying/renting the place.

Get some plastic tarp material and make a bag that fits your bike (with wheels off) so that nosey busybodies can't figure out what you are carrying into the elevator or down the hallway

mtbr member
    Being in BC, aren't you required by law to own a Tacoma with a tailgate pad?
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ctxcrossx View Post
    +1. I have a friend who moved to NYC, and now he is only able to ride about 1-2 times per year.
    Eh, Vancouver is pretty different from NYC. Vancouver has world-class trails on its northern border. NYC...not so much.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    NYC has world class bagels though, tuff choice.

Actually NYC is in close proximity to excellent riding, climbing, & surfing. The issue is the amount of time it takes just to get out of the city. Been there done that. Unfortunately Portland is turning into the same traffic snarled shit. Onto the next spot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Hah, this thread is great.

I secured an apartment today, it's a four story walk-up in Hastings-sunrise. There's a sketchy bike storage in the basement, but no rule against bikes in the units so that's where it will go.
    Landlord will discount my rent if I get tenants insurance, so that's going to happen.

I really like the idea of a sprayer. I'm sure I can keep one of those in the car along with a bottle of muc-off and be good to go.

the bike fits in the back of the car, but it's a bit of a pain all around. I don't like taking the wheels off, and yadda-yadda. I think I'll probably just have to spring for the hitch.

LMN: It's kind of an embarrassment of riches to be moving to a location 30 mins from the north shore, an hour from Squamish, close proximity to whistler, and still be really bummed out at the riding I'm giving up.

ccm
    aka Taprider
    Hastings-sunrise!
    you can bike from your door to trails in 5 minutes, cross 2nd Narrows and be on urban trails most of the way to Seymour or Fromme

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Another option is to see if you can rent space in someone's garage close to the trailhead. Maybe connect with the local MTB advocacy organization and see if they have any thoughts about this, or connections. Or maybe a local bike shop would also do storage for you for a price? Once you have that sorted out, get another bike (that you can keep clean) to ride around town, and store that in your apartment.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccm View Post
    It is common for condos and apartments in Vancouver that bikes are not permitted in your suite. Even though the real estate marketing materials are full of pictures of mtn bikes trying to promote the lifestyle you get with buying/renting the place.
    Seems that these places would provide secure storage in that case. Bah...wheel it into your apt that you're paying for. Who is patrolling such measures one may ask?

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    Who is patrolling such measures one may ask?
    The cleaning crews would probably note tire marks and begin to keep an eye peeled. Also, nosey neighbors. If there are security cameras, finding you wheeling your bike around wouldn't be too hard.

I donít understand apartment complexes in a big city not allowing you to keep your bike in your apartment. Isnít biking a HUGE transportation choice for many that live in big cities?

Your bike sucks
    I see Rollerblading in your future. Embrace it. We're an accepting culture these days so it'll be ok.
    Working to stomp out redundancy, I repeat, working to stomp out redundancy.

since 4/10/2009
    I donít understand apartment complexes in a big city not allowing you to keep your bike in your apartment. Isnít biking a HUGE transportation choice for many that live in big cities?
    There has been a trend toward complexes offering specific bike storage, and it can be hit-or-miss as to whether they might also prohibit bikes in the unit. But it seems like the newer, higher end ones tend toward prohibiting. It's as though they think that BECAUSE they offer this fancy "amenity" that there's now no need to bring the bikes up the stairs/elevator, down the halls, and into the personal apartment. It's like they're not distinguishing between beater commuter bikes and valuable sport/recreation equipment that's a really high theft risk.

Some college dorms trend the same direction. I think part of it is that the people who run them think that because they're offering this storage "amenity", they can now keep the extra wear and damage of bikes out of the interiors.

As far as I'm concerned, I don't think I'd use the "amenity" unless it was a true amenity. Meaning personal bike storage lockers behind a locked door that only residents with the correct key/key card can access plus security cameras inside the room so that people accessing the room can be identified and minimize theft attempts on what's stored inside. Even then, I'd only use THAT type of storage for a bike I'm using as transportation. I'd keep my bikes for recreation/sports (nice road, cross, mtn bikes) inside my apartment. Mostly because I want to keep a more consistent watch on them.

Cycologist
    I wish I had a photo of me, Korn and jcd rolling bikes through the Luxor in Vegas.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    I wish I had a photo of me, Korn and jcd rolling bikes through the Luxor in Vegas.
    I did that once.

IMG_20160305_173340 by Nate, on Flickr

I thought I had a picture somewhere of disassembling/packing the bikes up again in our room. My wife may have taken it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    The cleaning crews would probably note tire marks and begin to keep an eye peeled. Also, nosey neighbors. If there are security cameras, finding you wheeling your bike around wouldn't be too hard.
    Damn, son....safe storage should be provided one would presume?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Mega View Post
    I see Rollerblading in your future. Embrace it. We're an accepting culture these days so it'll be ok.
    Rollerblades are not permitted in the Squamish Suites, they tell me...

mtbr member
    Not in the high-end joints, such as the OP's preferred housing.

mtbr member
    remove your wheels and carry those into your apartment in one trip, then go back and get the rest of your bike. if anyone asks, you're storying "bicycle parts" in your apartment, not a "bicycle."

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by ccm View Post
    Hastings-sunrise!
    you can bike from your door to trails in 5 minutes, cross 2nd Narrows and be on urban trails most of the way to Seymour or Fromme
    I did not know this! I figured that once you got across 2nd narrows, it would be a long steep boring climb before you got to any of the real north shore trails. You just made my day.

Sneaker man
    I lived in an apartment complex a few years ago, I quite liked it, being right in the CBD. At the time I was only road riding (or road riding the mtb on occasion). We weren't allowed to take bikes through the lobby, but that was OK. Just in through the garage entrance with swipe card and then up the elevator.
    There was storage for bikes, but zero chance I was using that, bikes went in the room. Luckily we had a big balcony, so could also store things there, 41st floor so nobody was going to climb up steal/see them.
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Hah, this thread is great.

I secured an apartment today, it's a four story walk-up in Hastings-sunrise. There's a sketchy bike storage in the basement, but no rule against bikes in the units so that's where it will go.
    Landlord will discount my rent if I get tenants insurance, so that's going to happen.

I really like the idea of a sprayer. I'm sure I can keep one of those in the car along with a bottle of muc-off and be good to go.

the bike fits in the back of the car, but it's a bit of a pain all around. I don't like taking the wheels off, and yadda-yadda. I think I'll probably just have to spring for the hitch.

LMN: It's kind of an embarrassment of riches to be moving to a location 30 mins from the north shore, an hour from Squamish, close proximity to whistler, and still be really bummed out at the riding I'm giving up.
    I see four stories of sweet urban downhill stair cases in your future.

I 2nd the chemical sprayer. It's my overall cleaning method of choice now too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Does anyone use wheel covers when storing the bike in the house/apartment?

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by sawoobley View Post
    Does anyone use wheel covers when storing the bike in the house/apartment?
    My bike wipes his feet at the door...
    Doctor recommended...