Trick for keeping Gunk outta Housing?- Mtbr.com

Feb 2004

Trick for keeping Gunk outta Housing?

Anyone have a good trick for keeping gunk outta your housing when riding in muddy/wet conditions? Aside from having full housing which isn't an option on my bike, I need to find a way to cover or seal the opening where the cable feeds through the ferrules. I've had to change my housing twice in the last month from riding in muck. getting frustrated!!

Jan 2004
    Well you can get the Shimano cableset with their ferrules and rubber boots. The ferrules have an o-ring and hard rubber seal around the cable and on top of that a 1" long rubber boot attacheas in front of it to slow down gunk from even getting to the ferrule in the first place. You can ride cables with no maintenance for months. A lot of people complain that they add too much cable drag but that is truly BS. It is so little it doesn't matter especially when you consider it will keep running smooth for so much longer.

Who are the brain police?

Here's a getto trick..

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman
    Anyone have a good trick for keeping gunk outta your housing when riding in muddy/wet conditions? Aside from having full housing which isn't an option on my bike, I need to find a way to cover or seal the opening where the cable feeds through the ferrules. I've had to change my housing twice in the last month from riding in muck. getting frustrated!!
    Personally, I try to avoid mud since the trails near me ruin easily. But I came across this link a while ago. Seems like this should do the trick if you're going for a ride where you know they'll be a lot of mud.

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/fix/mud.htm
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Locoman
    Personally, I try to avoid mud since the trails near me ruin easily. But I came across this link a while ago. Seems like this should do the trick if you're going for a ride where you know they'll be a lot of mud.

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/fix/mud.htm
    Cheap and effective but definately not an elegant solution

Coors, the american beer.
    duct tape fixes everything
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

Who are the brain police?
    I wonder why somebody hasn't invented a product that mimics this duct tape method? I can picture some kind of rubber accordian/boot that attaches to the housing then clamps to the cable instead of just letting the cable slide into the accordian/boot. Know what I mean?
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

Feb 2004

sweet

i may actually try this, not pretty but i'm willing to sacrifice sexiness for not having to change cable/housing every couple weeks!

my other option is full length housing with these "problem solvers". i use them for my hydro brakes and they work well.
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail.htm...d=050%20PRMHB3

Bodhisattva

Avid Flak Jackets

Been using the same set of Avid Flak Jackets on my bike through 2.5 muddy Vermont seasons and they're still smooth as silk.
    Not bad for a $20 investment.

Feb 2004

question about the flacks

i was just checking these out online and i'm curious to how exactly the red shield tubing works, or how it fits over the ferrules. could someone explain installation? especially in relation to the brake stops on a frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman
    i was just checking these out online and i'm curious to how exactly the red shield tubing works, or how it fits over the ferrules. could someone explain installation? especially in relation to the brake stops on a frame.

the housing end caps use a stepped down nose that has a tad smaller outside diameter than the red liner's inside ... you cut the red liner to length and everything slips together tightly. At the ends a boot is used to keep muck out.

later, Chad
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://redbarnbicycles.com/

mtbr member

Goto a motorcycle shop

Buy a gadget that they sell at motorcycle shops for cleaning out housing. It costs $10-15 I think. You loosen the cables and slip it on the housing. Then you attach an aerosol cleaner like triflow and shoot it through the housing. It blows all the gunk out. I usually do this a couple of times a year and then replace the housing one a year. Some will say that this method just attracts more gunk but I don't think it does and it is better than replacing the housing all the time.

Jun 2004
    Lotta companies b makin cable and housin sets for ridin in the chump ass mud.
    Jagwire, Shimano, and Avid makes some boots you can use foo, and some even have sheaths that cover the whole punk ass cable sucka.

Saving lives with knives.

Ditto

Avid Flak Jackets and then for the ultimate in protection I put some rubber cemment on the ferrule/housing interface and put shrink wrap tubing around the ferrule (sp?) cable interface. 2 michigan seasons and nothing but grins.