Trek shipping more bikes to Europe than US- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Trek shipping more bikes to Europe than US

Heard from a reliable source Trek and it's siblings are sending more of their inventory to Europe to be sold than supplying the IBDs of the US. The reason is that Trek claims that they have more of a demand and will turn better numbers in Europe. In turn, this is putting a squeeze on many US dealers to achieve their own inventory levels. I find this to be kind of hypocritical that it comes from a company that takes such pride in producing their bikes (at least mid level to high end) in the US and then brainwashing their reps into bashing any company that does otherwise. One would think that a company who boasts such an image would take care of the people and accounts that made them what they are today instead of forcing many of their dealers to seek and source out other brands.

Also, Shimano is taking the same approach, but that doesn't surprise me since I look at Shimano as being more of a global company than Trek, which Trek is global, but not like Shimano. So I guess SRAM needs to get on the ball and develop a full road bike drivetrain.

On the otherhand, it is business and its about making money. If that is what it takes to meet their numbers, then more power to them. I can also see where there would be more of a demand in Europe because overall the European population utilizes the bicycle in more manners than the US populus and the sport is more recognizable, but you have to draw a line when the homebased dealer is denied inventory for the lack of a company's projections. Like I said, they may know what they are doing, but at the same time they need to realize that they could be shooting themselves in the foot. Granted the larger US accounts will be taken care of, that is how it is, but the mid level to small accounts shouldn't be sacrificed. In the long run, the mid to small level dealers will dump Trek and find other companies that will supply them with the inventory they need regardless where it comes from. To me, it seems a little hypocritical coming from the "Empire".

Any thoughts or additional information form anyone?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    How exactly is Trek responsible for driving demand at your LBS?
    If the fat slobs in North America don't want their bikes, sell them to someone who does.
    It's not like they are shortchanging their dealers on inventory in order to ship frames to Europe.

Who are the brain police?
    So be it. [Selfishly] I'd rather be the only one riding the trails w/ my new Spec., than have that I'm riding a McBike.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

crash test dummy
    Aug 2004

Two thoughts

First, the low dollar is making US-origin bikes and other manufactured products much cheaper in Europe, especially when the manufacturer has an effective supply chain.

Second, Trek bikes really suit the attitude towards mountain biking found in Europe. Name recognition, first class guarantees, and risk-free purchasing are cultural norms in Europe. In the US, we're always looking for the next best thing. In Europe, it's "the last best thing."

99.999% of the riders here consider a fire road to be mountain biking. For this purpose, Trek has a substantial range of bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Masher
    How exactly is Trek responsible for driving demand at your LBS?
    If the fat slobs in North America don't want their bikes, sell them to someone who does.
    It's not like they are shortchanging their dealers on inventory in order to ship frames to Europe.
    They are obviously short changing this dealer who carries the full spectrum of what Trek offers (Trek, Fisher, Klein, Lemond, Bontrager wheels/components, and Nike/Trek clothing and accessories) and orders religously from their "Quality wanna-be" parts catalog. I find it hard to believe that what he is saying is false. What sucks even more is that it's a true bike shop and the employees who work there are enthusiasts of the sport with a lot them riding the products that Trek sells. Now they are punished for Treks inept business decisions and are getting the short end of the stick. Pretty sad in my opinion.