Trek marlin 5 2020 vs Trinx q500.. Is it wise to spend more??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2020

Trek marlin 5 2020 vs Trinx q500.. Is it wise to spend more??

Hi, I am confused between getting a trek marlin 5 or trinx q500(q550..im confused). I have the budget but I am confused. Being a beginner, I can't justify spending $200 more on a bike when I dont even know if it makes a difference. Trinx has its own suspension fork which worries me. My ride is limited to good roads and bad roads and sometimes long rides(terrain may vary). I would really appreciate if the members could share the experience. Thanks

mtbr member
    Which one is more? That trinx looks super janky.

https://www.trinx.xyz/bikes/trinx-quest-q500/
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Which one is more? That trinx looks super janky.

https://www.trinx.xyz/bikes/trinx-quest-q500/
    Trinx is approx $200 less than Trek even with 6061 alloy, internal cabling, suspension with lockout. But as I said, disc brakes and suspension is from Trinx itself...drivetrain i wouldnt know difference because no prior experience at all
    Last edited by winston1212; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:12 AM. Reason: correction

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The first think I noticed was ,it only comes (tranx) one size . That's find if you happen to fit it. My recommendation on buying any bike is always start with fit. If it doesn't the, best prats won't help. The second thing I noticed was that it has coil fork ,with mostly means that it doesn't have a damper. That means you have a pogo stick for a fork. The Trek is most likely the same. Those bikes are fine for riding around the neighborhood/paved bike paths etc. If you want to ride in the dirt there limits are reached pretty quickly. Bikes are made to meet a price point, that means for a bike to sell for $200 less ,something is of lower quality . That could be parts ,service/support or something else. You get what you pay for.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post
    The first think I noticed was ,it only comes (tranx) one size . That's find if you happen to fit it. My recommendation on buying any bike is always start with fit. If it doesn't the, best prats won't help. The second thing I noticed was that it has coil fork ,with mostly means that it doesn't have a damper. That means you have a pogo stick for a fork. The Trek is most likely the same. Those bikes are fine for riding around the neighborhood/paved bike paths etc. If you want to ride in the dirt there limits are reached pretty quickly. Bikes are made to meet a price point, that means for a bike to sell for $200 less ,something is of lower quality . That could be parts ,service/support or something else. You get what you pay for.
    Ok...makes a lot much sense..no trinx then. Could someone suggest some suspension forks that are better than these entry level 'pogo sticks' but still affordable.
    PS: Trek marlin 5 has a SR Suntour XCE 28 with 100mm travel and lockout

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    The 2020 Trek Marlin 5 doesn’t have a lockout, and the 2021 models are coming out next month, so it would be wise to wait for those. The only thing they really changed is the colors, and went from a 3x to a 2x drivetrain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk