Transition Sunglass Lenses- Mtbr.com
    telemarc
    Jan 2005

Transition Sunglass Lenses

I took my julbo frames in to the 1 hour optical store in town and had TRANSITION Amber lenses put in.They can make them for almost any frame. Mine are zero perscription.Cost was 130.00 canadian for the lenses. They go from 100 % clear indoors or in the trees to full dark in the sun in about 20 seconds. Thought I would only use them riding but I wear them everywhere. Go into a shop and they are totally clear and step outside and instant darkness.I would never use regular sunglasses again and go back to the lens switching game. Girlfriend is getting a pair also.Available at any optical store that does perscription lenses.

WWYD?

Got a pair of RayBans...

..at Foreyes in California with the Transitions lenses for a little more, like, $150 with frame. Total was $260 for the pair but worth it since I wear prescriptions. The RayBans have a wraparound type lens and I was worried about distortion with the prescription (20/60, 20/80) but they worked out great with only a little distortion on the outermost edges. I wear these glasses all the time.

Aug 2004
    I may have to consider going to these type of lenses next time I get new glasses.

I'm pretty damn blind and my Coke bottle thick lenses really ain't compatible with the cool looking Oakley, Smith, etc. sunglasses out there so I think I'm stuck with traditional looking eyeglasses.

I have a pair of eyeglasses that I wear each day that have that snap-on sunglass. They are OK, but they really bug me when I'm riding.

Nick

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

agree

I just picked up a set of these w/ the transition lenses

http://www.eyeglassesandcontacts.com...30764&PageNo=1

I used to wear contacts w/ regular sunglasses, but sometimes I'm just too lazy to put in my contacts. The key was to find a frame that looked cool as sunglasses and regular glasses and would stay put on a sweaty face. These frames are working out very well for me. The other thing about them is that you can buy an eyeglass clip for 'em too which attaches to the frame via tiny magnets. The transition lenses don't work as well when you're in a car b/c the lens needs UV rays to darken and the windows in a car can filter out some of those UV rays.

Long Distance MTB

What about possible impacts

Quote Originally Posted by telemarc
    TRANSITION Amber lenses put in.
    How good are they holding on impacts? How do they resist scratching? Being used for cycling that should be a concern. Plus I would like to get a pair for my wife.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    My wife got me a pair of Spec's Adaptalite Singletracks - they're vented, light, "impact proof" and change tints pretty dang quick (and they don't get 100% clear or 100% dark - a nice midrange).

They'll also run you around 110 bucks - totally worth it IMHO
    Click Here for Forum Rules

telemarc
    Jan 2005
    Transitions are impact resistent plastic and more scratch resistent than polycarbonate.Also glare resistent coated.The optometrist who recomended mine wore his motorcross racing and mountain biking for the last year with no problems. He also showed me a lens that had been shot with a .22 pellet gun and had cracked in two but held together.Loooked at the Specialized adaptalite but:
    Change in tint was minimal and very slow, a couple minutes. These go absolutely clear in the trees.

mtbr member
    I took my julbo frames in to the 1 hour optical store in town and had TRANSITION Amber lenses put in.They can make them for almost any frame. Mine are zero perscription.Cost was 130.00 canadian for the lenses. They go from 100 % clear indoors or in the trees to full dark in the sun in about 20 seconds. Thought I would only use them riding but I wear them everywhere. Go into a shop and they are totally clear and step outside and instant darkness.I would never use regular sunglasses again and go back to the lens switching game. Girlfriend is getting a pair also.Available at any optical store that does perscription lenses.
    I was wondering about Transitions, but I'm concerned about the time it takes them to change. I find that trails that have fast changing light conditions (deeply wooded to open field) can be a problem that likely wouldn't be solved by a 20 second change. (That dappled light sure hides roots when you've got your sunglasses on.)

Please keep us posted as you use them in different conditions.

telemarc
    Jan 2005
    I have now used them all season in all conditions.The 20 seconds is from 100% clear to as dark as they go. The transition starts as soon as you hit the UV light. I haven't noticed any problem with visibility in and out of the trees. I wear them on all my XC rides and inside my full face for DH/Freeride unless it is super dusty and I'm riding with a group , then I wear Goggles. If they had Transition lenses for goggles I'd already have a pair.

Long Distance MTB

Thank you

Transitions are impact resistent plastic and more scratch resistent than polycarbonate.Also glare resistent coated.The optometrist who recomended mine wore his motorcross racing and mountain biking for the last year with no problems.
    Wow, thanks I will get those for my wife.

He also showed me a lens that had been shot with a .22 pellet gun and had cracked in two but held together.
    Well, pellet guns can have few power or be a really danger in wrong hands, that is not so much an indication, but from your description they are good enough, thank you.

Team Blindspot
    I have now used them all season in all conditions.The 20 seconds is from 100% clear to as dark as they go. The transition starts as soon as you hit the UV light. I haven't noticed any problem with visibility in and out of the trees. I wear them on all my XC rides and inside my full face for DH/Freeride unless it is super dusty and I'm riding with a group , then I wear Goggles. If they had Transition lenses for goggles I'd already have a pair.
    Bolle makes goggles with a prescription insert.

I also think you are being a bit optomistic on the time it takes to get dark. It's probably closer to a minute in direct sunlight to reach full darkness.

Also, you can get transitions in Brown, and put a slight yellow tint in it. That way they will be amber when not activated. Works well for cloudy days.
    Astigmatic Visionary

try driving your car less
    Can anyone recommend a frame to take some transition lenses for me? I went to the optometrist yesterday, but they didnt have any frames I liked. I willing to spend about $250 total.
    My current sunglasses that I love are Smith District, but I cannot find anyone to make prescription lenses for them.

I am looking for something for my big head that will not give me a headache, and look OK both on and off the bike. But emphasis is on the bike, as I do not work in a formal environment and I dont wear the glasses all the time.

And I need to try them on first, for sure.

Thanks
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr dismember

One caveat

I had some when they first came out and the one thing I did not like is that they barely darkened while driving in your car because the windshield filters out most UV light. So I still needed sunglasses while driving.

Team Blindspot

Oakley and Transitions are partnering

Oakley will begin using transitions lenses in their Rx line. So you will be able to get Oakley mirrors with transition lenses in your Rx. They are also going to be made out of Oakley's proprietary lense material, Plutonite.
    (AKA: Polycarbonate)
    Astigmatic Visionary

Jul 2005
    for a performance version of transitions, check out specialized NXT glasses. the singletracks are the hotness

mtbr member
    Our optometrists are not telling us the whole truth! Call the manufacturer to find out:

1-800-533-2081
    Transitions Optical, Inc.
    9251 Belcher Road
    Pinellas Park, Florida 33782

Change in tint is "minimal' under direct open sky. Just compare it to regular sunglasses or see models wearing them at http://en-us.transitions.com.

Transitions lenses do NOT replace regular sunglasses!
    What do I know, ask the "experts"!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I don't have transition lenses, i use rudy project rydon they go from 80% clear which is close to not wearing them down to 20% dark, they go clear enough for night rides to not be a problem and dark enough to cut out the worst of the sun.

They are impact x nxt lenses and are guaranteed unbreakable for life, they change quick enough when switching between environments, i wanted an all in one lens so these are ideal for me.

I have ray bans for the car though, imo the rudy's have better optics.

http://www.policebikestore.com/impactx-glasses.htm