Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sXeXBMXer View Post

no one who rides the trails I am on are riding for millions of dollars, (though some think that they are approaching that level.......) and these are few and far between, and are usually not directly douchy

as mentioned before, I am lucky that our trails are one way for the most part. We have - or at least I have not - had many encounters to the negative from other bikers. And, the ones who have been going the wrong way always apologize, ask if they missed the direction sign,

Then what prompts the attitude you describe? I'm not seeing it on my trails either and young people seem to be about as friendly and courteous as any other demographic.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    If ever a decent percentage of old guys didn't think the world was ending due to moral collapse it would probably be an actual indication the world was ending.

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Then what prompts the attitude you describe? I'm not seeing it on my trails either and young people seem to be about as friendly and courteous as any other demographic.
    well, as I mentioned, I rarely see the attitude on my trails. I see it more in every day life than on the bike trails. I see it in my students. I see it in public places, on the news, online etc.

I think in the biking community around here I experience douche-baggery happening more on the multi use paved trails than on dirt. Probably because there are way more people using those trails, therefore, more interaction and more "worlds" colliding. More people thinking that the trail was paved just for them, or just for their world
    " ...the moonlit swamp Krampus is a king among bikes." - geraldooka

15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Amazing there are so many uptight riders out there. Well, according to this thread anyway.
    This weekend 2 or 3 times I came up on riders stopped on the trail. Passed them without comment, but as soon as my pal and I took a break (off the trail) I said something about the sucky time-change a couple weeks ago, one more lame thing it offers is more riders out during the early morning. I don't want to be a douchebag and wonder how somebody doing something, even if it's inconvenient to me, but they aren't doing anything TO me. Why let it annoy me? Still finding out I'm a grumpy guy.
    oops I wasn't clipped in

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDwayyo View Post
    "This next generation is unlike any other before."

-Every old dude in the history of old dudes.
    "Get Off My Lawn"

- Every old dude in the history of old dudes

"I don't Like the Look of those Teenagers"
    - Grandpa Simpson
    Say what you will but it’s true. Each generation gets more selfish and entitled than the one before it. The computer generation has added to the lazy me mentality. Once you have a few more years of wisdom you’ll realize where I’m coming from. That’s assuming you two are millennials.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Snow Dog
    Say what you will but it’s true. Each generation gets more selfish and entitled than the one before it. The computer generation has added to the lazy me mentality. Once you have a few more years of wisdom you’ll realize where I’m coming from. That’s assuming you two are millennials.
    I was born in 1969...don't really know which gen I am, but I feel like I was raised in the world of old skool respect. Old skool values. Dad was a Marine Corps Drill sergeant, so the "box was small" and the leash was short in my house. You respected everything, and there was a lot of "Stand still, shut up and listen" in my life. That went a loooong way for me...

15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!

I was born in 1969...don't really know which gen I am, but I feel like I was raised in the world of old skool respect. Old skool values. Dad was a Marine Corps Drill sergeant, so the "box was small" and the leash was short in my house.
    Good, then you should ge on the same page as I am.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Snow Dog
    Good, then you should ge on the same page as I am.
    yep...definitely. I think I almost always agree with most of what you post 'round here!

15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!

yep...definitely. I think I almost always agree with most of what you post 'round here!
    I’m not sure I like that “almost” word.

mtbr member
    What would Charles Bronson do?

mtbr member
    "The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for
    authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place
    of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their
    households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They
    contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties
    at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

So what else is new. Attributed by Plato to Socrates
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
    What would Charles Bronson do?
    Get his arse kicked by Chuck Norris?
    No dig no whine

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    For sure. Let's go back to feudalism, people really knew their place then! Every generation since has been more and more entitled and selfish! Now people think they should be able to make decisions about their lives based on their own motivations and not just blindly support causes that don't benefit them... How terrible!

Seriously though, this argument drives me crazy. Kids are the same today as they've always been - largely pretty lazy. Some will grow out of it, some won't... The world will sort them out accordingly.

Funny that you say I need more years to see it... Wouldn't that better support that you have changed, not the world?

Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post
    "The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for
    authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place
    of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their
    households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They
    contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties
    at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

So what else is new. Attributed by Plato to Socrates
    Exactly. This is well-documented as the opinion of every old grumpy dude ever and yet somehow the world goes on. Kids are the same, just like grumpy old dudes are the same.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Cool! I loved the sound those wheels made rolling.
    Yes, those really were unique sounding, and quite loud!
    carry clippers! cut something off the trail every time you ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twd953 View Post
    Get his arse kicked by Chuck Norris?
    You're probably right, but if Charles was on his regular Tuesday night group ride along with John J. Rambo, then I think Chuck might struggle.

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Cool! I loved the sound those wheels made rolling.
    The oddest mountain bike sound I've ever heard was when MTBR member Rumphy rolled a bead and burped a tube out of his tension disc wheel landing a jump while racing the short track vintage event at Keyesville on his restored Tomac Raleigh some years ago. Hollister looked over at me and told me he wanted that sound for his ring tone.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

At least I put a fire under the age old argument that kids are lazy. Chalk one up for the grumpy old guys.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Easy people. If 1 out of 20 people on a trail (or whatever your small percentage is) is a dbag, that does not mean "everyone is entitled and selfish" and that this generation is especially wretched. I find that the overwhelming majority of mountain bikers of all age groups are super friendly.

Yeah once in a while you will encounter someone who won't say hello back or make eye contact, or yield the trail but who cares? They are such a small percentage among all the friendly folks, why spend energy focusing on them?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by midwestmtb View Post
    Easy people. If 1 out of 20 people on a trail (or whatever your small percentage is) is a dbag, that does not mean "everyone is entitled and selfish" and that this generation is especially wretched. I find that the overwhelming majority of mountain bikers of all age groups are super friendly.

Yeah once in a while you will encounter someone who won't say hello back or make eye contact, or yield the trail but who cares? They are such a small percentage among all the friendly folks, why spend energy focusing on them?
    Enough already with the good-natured common sense attitude. Sheesh.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Thats a dangerous game to play. You take away my ability to feed my family; you're gonna pay.
    I'm confused. You feed your family by riding up trails?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    I'm confused. You feed your family by riding up trails?
    I'm pretty sure he means if someone risk injuring him being a should checking jerk, he is going to become angry / aggressive..

between my bike my gear and myself I'm ~300lbs (265~lb rider plus bike /gear) coming down the trail towards anyone.. I'm very courteous however if i got checked like that I'd probably knock them over, if I meant to or not...

but mostly everyone should be having fun and not being a bunch of aggro **** goblins... IMHO.

Snow Dog
    I’m not sure I like that “almost” word.
    yeah...that's more referencing my Alzheimers kicking in and not remembering all of the posts...

15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by midwestmtb View Post

That small percentage just missed their last safety meeting. They'll be more friendly after they adjust their headset.

mtbr member
    Well I just heard from a friend that one of his friends got taken out pretty bad this weekend. She was riding up hill on smoother gentle grade. Wideish trail just bushes off to the side. These are "easy" trails akin to dirt sidewalks mostly. Well some DH rider comes flying down a 20mph (estimated of course, but given the area totally possible) and with his head down just plows into her at speed. No braking, no slowing, no attempt to turn. The uphill rider even went off in the bushes on the edge of the trail to no avail. Smacked really hard. Nothing broken, but it could have been really bad. My guess is that this was gentle turn and DH rider was oblivious to anything so when the uphill rider saw what was going on it was too late as the closing speed was probably 28 mph. I am hearing this second hand so I don't have all the details, but having ridden that area I can totally see what happened.

DH rider was probably a newb going fast because he thought he was cool (on a trail 5 year old can go fast on) and was not paying attention and not aware trail etiquette. . If you as DH rider think everyone will get out of your way you don't look far enough in front to see riders and crash like this can happen. These trails are easy enough and given that day time temps are finally nice here all kind of uninformed riders are "playing Mtn bike racer" in this area. Saw similar thing, but no where near as bad and no crash the weekend before. Rider just not aware of what to do. There is no reason in this place that you need to have one way only trails. All you need is someone aware enough to know that has DH rider you may need to stop at any time. That uphill rider could have been grandma on a hike with her family and the crash may have been even worse.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    That uphill rider could have been grandma on a hike with her family and the crash may have been even worse.
    Not defending them since it was clearly their responsibility to know what is coming up ahead, but you make a lot of assumptions about what kind of rider they were when in reality they could be a grandma out for a ride just as easily.

I get real sick of the rude radbro DH rider stereotype that so many on here seem to hate on constantly. I ride almost exclusively with 'radbros' and the ones I ride with are far more courteous than many of the spandex-clad XC racer types I see on the trail.

All that said, I'm very conscious of users on the trail ahead when I'm going fast. I anticipate spots where I could be surprised and if I were to be surprised I'm ready to kamikaze myself into the bushes to avoid a crash... Not that that's necessary often, but it's in the back of my mind as a last resort. Hurting myself is a part of the game, hurting others is unacceptable.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    JoePaz, the potential for those sorts of collisions does scare the crap out of me on two-way trails especially when there are blind spots. I've had several close calls with people bombing down hill towards me. I've also seen people trying to set new Strava PRs on crowded two-way trails with hikers on them. I hate ambulance chasers, but in this case, I wouldn't mind if one of these guys get sued for hurting someone. There has to be some sort of deterrant.

mtbr member
    Not defending them since it was clearly their responsibility to know what is coming up ahead, but you make a lot of assumptions about what kind of rider they were when in reality they could be a grandma out for a ride just as easily.
    Yeah I am guessing on this, but I know the trails well enough to know that this not a place radbro DH rider go. No enough chunk. This place newbies go to do their 2-3 times per year ride. There was a 12 Hr XC race in the area the day before so XC racers can bomb the area, but most have enough experience to know what is going on and when to go fast and when not to. They can seem like they are going fast and scare people, but tend not plow into people at least without some major attempt to prevent it since they tend to be more aware. I for one race, but never go so fast in this area this time year as to not be able to avoid some encounter with other trail users as I have seen all types. It is newbies that oblivious to the dangers that are the problem sometimes. Of course I could be wrong and that the a-hole could have been anyone, but the point to me is still clear. Always ride with in your abilities and DH rides HAVE to watch for other trail uses and be prepared manage the situation properly. (Move, slow, stop, etc).
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    I get real sick of the rude radbro DH rider stereotype that so many on here seem to hate on constantly. I ride almost exclusively with 'radbros' and the ones I ride with are far more courteous than many of the spandex-clad XC racer types I see on the trail.
    I've seen both, but have to agree that the kitted up "I'm gonna win the next world cup XC race" types are the most frequent offenders.

One example was when I was riding at the Air Force Academy a few years back. I was grinding up a section of true singletrack and here comes a guy, all kitted up in one of the local shop's racing team gear. I continued up and he comes down, not really looking ahead. Sees me and starts spouting off s string of profanities that would make a sailor proud (and I was a sailor!) as he went wide off the trail at full tilt so he didn't have to mess up his training. Or something. Going off trail was bad enough in the try conditions, but the string of obscenities for me not getting out of his way was priceless.

I did try and get base security to uninvite him from future use of the trail (they did not find him at any of the intersections) and spoke to the shop manager, but he was completely uninterested, which surprised me; the trail ROW was one thing, but someone kitted up in their gear/logo spouting off like that? I stopped using that shop for the most part.

mtbr member
    A speeding rider who startles or endangers another trail user is a douche bag, a-hole, jerk - call them what you will. When contact is made and that other trail user is hurt, even a little, then it becomes a case of criminal assault. Such an individual should be charged. And have their front wheel removed and wrapped around their head. Strike that. The front wheel should be removed and left at the local police station along with a report of the incident.

Barely in control
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Well I just heard from a friend that one of his friends got taken out pretty bad this weekend. She was riding up hill on smoother gentle grade. Wideish trail just bushes off to the side. These are "easy" trails akin to dirt sidewalks mostly. Well some DH rider comes flying down a 20mph (estimated of course, but given the area totally possible) and with his head down just plows into her at speed. No braking, no slowing, no attempt to turn. The uphill rider even went off in the bushes on the edge of the trail to no avail. Smacked really hard. Nothing broken, but it could have been really bad. My guess is that this was gentle turn and DH rider was oblivious to anything so when the uphill rider saw what was going on it was too late as the closing speed was probably 28 mph. I am hearing this second hand so I don't have all the details, but having ridden that area I can totally see what happened.
    Yeah, I can see it. She sees a guy flying down the trail so she dives into the bushes and doesn't even put her hands out to slow her fall, just right into the rocks with her face. DH guy continues ripping, has no idea we're talking about him on the internet. I've seen this all before so I can totally tell you what went down.

Barely in control
    I've seen both, but have to agree that the kitted up "I'm gonna win the next world cup XC race" types are the most frequent offenders.

One example was when I was riding at the Air Force Academy a few years back. I was grinding up a section of true singletrack and here comes a guy, all kitted up in one of the local shop's racing team gear. I continued up and he comes down, not really looking ahead. Sees me and starts spouting off s string of profanities that would make a sailor proud (and I was a sailor!) as he went wide off the trail at full tilt so he didn't have to mess up his training. Or something. Going off trail was bad enough in the try conditions, but the string of obscenities for me not getting out of his way was priceless.

I did try and get base security to uninvite him from future use of the trail (they did not find him at any of the intersections) and spoke to the shop manager, but he was completely uninterested, which surprised me; the trail ROW was one thing, but someone kitted up in their gear/logo spouting off like that? I stopped using that shop for the most part.
    Were your feelings able to make a full recovery?

One ring to mash them all
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post
    And have their front wheel removed and wrapped around their head. Strike that. The front wheel should be removed and left at the local police station along with a report of the incident.
    ¿Porque no los dos?
    A plateau is the highest form of flattery.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    ¿Porque no los dos?
    De acuerdo!
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    ¿Porque no los dos?
    No habla espanola. Because if I wrap the wheel around his head, I'm more guilty of assault than he is; though it would be richly deserved and might seem worth it. And there's something appealing about making him hike (or hobble) out and have to go to the cops to ask for his wheel back. Of course, if someone truly is hurt, revenge is not the first priority anyway.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    Yeah, I can see it. She sees a guy flying down the trail so she dives into the bushes and doesn't even put her hands out to slow her fall, just right into the rocks with her face. DH guy continues ripping, has no idea we're talking about him on the internet. I've seen this all before so I can totally tell you what went down.
    From what I understand they collided. Not just going off an crashing. Rider to rider impact.
    Joe

Anytime. Anywhere.

You lost all credibility at "I'm a sailor" .

Sent from my SM-G935S using Tapatalk
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12