Trail Mapping Apps- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Trail Mapping Apps

I've been looking into the various GPS trail map apps (Android user) to both record my own rides and find others' rides so I don't end up lost in the woods going in circles or following trails that peter out into a mass of brush.

There's Strava, which has the whole competitive course angle, but courses available publicly are sparse. Map My Ride is a maybe, but it has issues as well. Google's My Tracks had potential until Google made it impossible to search for user-generated routes.

IMBA's MTB Project app seems to have the most potential, but it's still new and there are not a lot of maps on it yet. I haven't been out since I found it, so I don't know how easy it is to record, edit and contribute maps.

Thoughts?

Redcoat
    Try "alltrails", this takes your location and shows you all the trails near by with reviews descriptions etc. Its like yelp but for mtb trails.

To record i use "runkeeper". After you do a route you can set it as so and go back and do it again. It will also show you graphically your climb elevations top speeds etc. Another good one is "motion X GPS". I use runkeeper now as it integrates with a lot of my other apps that i use and i can keep it all centralized in one interface.

Your Best Friend
    I don't know where you live (didn't look) but locally we have The Skid Map, it is also an app. Best trail mapping site ever especially in conjunction with a Garmin. I don't use it as an app so I can't attest to it's viability but it may be worth checking out. Someday it could go global.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Endomondo.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Reign2Rider View Post
    Endomondo.
    Not really finding any routes there. So far MTV Project seems to be the winner if people start contributing to it... I'll try to do my part.

All Trails does have a built in map of one trail I never thought I'd see.

mtbr member
    I use backcountry navigator as my GPS app and like it a lot. It does have a "find nearby trails" function, but to find trails, normally I use Singletracks.com on my laptop, download the .gps file, and then transfer it to my phone before the ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Strava seems to have everything I need in it, it tracks me well and has local trails in it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I like Gaia GPS. You can overlay different types of maps (topo, digital, satellite imagery, different street and terrain data). You can also download the maps to device which is great where network access is poor or you want to save battery. With it you can do a lot of way point and photo editing in addition to make tracks and trip logs.

Mapping comes up in the Trail Building sub-forum here and might be worth searching.

try anything on a bike

Trail Mapping Apps

Motion x GPS. I really like it.

2012 Anthem X29 4.
    The most freeride like fat bike I could make with available parts...

mtbr member
    This is what I have tried to do with Strava but can't. Record a ride on some trails I am not familiar with, usually with another rider who knows the area. Go back, pull up the trail that we rode (and only that ride, not every published ride in the area), turn on the GPS and try to follow it.

Seems like I can pull up the map of the ride but NOT use the GPS to show where I am, OR use the GPS to show where I am but not pull up the ride. Is there a way to do both? If I "publish" the ride I can pull it up and get GPS, but I also get every other ride that has been published near that location and the screen looks like a plate of spaghetti. Plus, if I zoom in and lose the start of the ride the whole thing disappears.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
    This is what I have tried to do with Strava but can't. Record a ride on some trails I am not familiar with, usually with another rider who knows the area. Go back, pull up the trail that we rode (and only that ride, not every published ride in the area), turn on the GPS and try to follow it.

Seems like I can pull up the map of the ride but NOT use the GPS to show where I am, OR use the GPS to show where I am but not pull up the ride. Is there a way to do both? If I "publish" the ride I can pull it up and get GPS, but I also get every other ride that has been published near that location and the screen looks like a plate of spaghetti. Plus, if I zoom in and lose the start of the ride the whole thing disappears.
    I never tried Strava but Backcountry Navigator does what you describe perfectly. If you have a bunch of tracks in one area, you can choose to display or hide each one individually, or assign different colors to them.

mtbr member
    Thanks. I just downloaded mapmyride and it looks like it will work also. I'll probably give a couple different ones a shot including backcountry navigator to see which I like best.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I have been using Runtastic (Mountain Bike version) and its pretty good. The data you get from it is super interesting and has the standard website type system it uploads everything to for easy view/share. Maps can be downloaded and stored locally unlike some other apps so this is very nice when not in cell range.

It does a lot of the things Strava does just without the competitive side.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    +1 for Gaia GPS.

I love that I can download all the USGS topos for an area with a swipe of the finger.

I use this with an iPod touch and external GPS receiver. It tracks my entire ride and I only have to turn on the iPod when I need to see the heads up display, saving my battery for reading at night.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    A lot of these programs work really well, but only if enough users use the app on their rides and share them in a way that can be found. A lot of them seem to have mostly tracks on roads shared by runners and road cyclists.

I suppose if I get lost enough times using them, I will have mapped my own trails for my own use, but it would be nice if there was one everybody got behind and used for trail mapping. Singletracks works fairly well, but I'm hoping IMBA has enough of a constituency to do it with their MTB Project app.

Noob
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_biker View Post
    Motion x GPS. I really like it.

This is what I use also. Here are a couple screen shots. You can really zoom in also to show the detail you want. Gives elevation gain, avg speed, distance, etc.

My ride: 2013 Giant Reign 1

mtbr member
    Fitness tracker is decent. It was designed for blackberry users to utilize Strava but has some pretty good stand alone features.