Top Towns to Fly In-Ride-Fly Out...No Car Rental Needed!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Top Towns to Fly In-Ride-Fly Out...No Car Rental Needed!

Hey everyone! I want some feedback on the best MTB towns to fly in, Uber/Lyft to your hotel, walk or PT to your bike rental and easily access Intermediate to Advanced trails via bike or shuttle or if there is possibly an Uber/Lyft with a bike rack, drop off at trailhead and ride. This would be very convenient and if timed right, very economical. Looking forward to everyones thoughts...

Peace!

slow
    Commercial flight, or are you flying your own plane?

I didn't do it
    Durango CO might fit the bill.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

No known cure
    Sedona. Then pedal your bike 100' to the Skyranch Lodge. Ride from the lodge.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Wouldn't this mean riding near an airport and low flying planes? I love the idea, just thinking you'd need to get at least a 10 minute cab away from the airport.

Edit: also thinking you'd probably want to make sure there was a place to rent bikes to be your first stop.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Second on Sedona. Took a private plane, rode from the airport to VRBO, bike shop, trails, restaurants, grocery...5 days no car and really didn't miss it.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member
    Aspen would work. Airport is 1 mile from downtown Aspen. Great free bus system. Ride from town or take free bus to Snowmass or even to Glenwood Springs. I rode in Snowmass last year and it has lift accessed mountain bike trails and other cross country trails as well.

Another idea could be Grand Junction. You could ride from town to the GJ rides or get a shuttle/Uber to the Fruita rides. Lots of bike shops to rent from.

Rod
    mtbr member
    Asheville easily works. Grab an uber, go to Asheville, Brevard, DuPont, and access the trail system. I feel like choosing your hotel/ranch/campground would be vital. You would need access to a large trail system.

Captain One Lung Administrator

Pro Crastinator
    i've flown with my bike in and out of St. George, Utah just like you are suggesting. just got a taxi over and back from Virgin....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
    Durango CO might fit the bill.
    Yes.
    The hardest part is getting from the airport to town, but from town you can ride miles and miles of trails without a car.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

High Desert MTBer
    Sedona only has private plane access, no commercial flights. Nearest airport is Flagstaff, and that is quite a distance. Uber-able, but quite distant.
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I am going to do some more intel. A friend mentioned Whistler to fly in, take an Uber to the resort, rent a bike and ride and then take a Uber to the airport. Technology is making things a lot easier!!

mtbr member
    Commercial

mtbr member
    Where are you flying from? Are nonstops important? U.S. destinations only? Lift served, XC trails or both? Any particular time of year? For how long?

Salt Lake City to access over 400 miles of trails within a 20 mile radius around Park City which is a 35 minute drive from the airport.

Zurich, get a 2 week rail pass, hit the whole friggin' country. Never touch a car.
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 08-15-2017 at 04:51 PM.

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    Sedona only has private plane access.
    UFO's too...

mtbr member
    I would say Park City is the #1 place that fits exactly what the OP is asking. You can fly into SLC, reasonably get an Uber to Park City and then stay and ride for days from town. Free shuttles in town as well. Steamboat might work as well though I'm not familiar with the trails layout as it relates to town.

Sedona and Whistler are reasonable just as long as you change Uber to "2+ hour shuttle/bus ride" from the Phoenix or Vancouver airports. I love Sedona but it's not as conducive to being w/o a car as Park City or Whistler. Breckenridge would apply as well to the "2 hour shuttle" scenario.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Moab, Jackson Hole, Grand Junction...

Magically Delicious

You guys can have thoese commercial flights...

I'll stick with this...

Top Towns to Fly In-Ride-Fly Out...No Car Rental Needed!-019_falcon8x_2017usb52.jpg

Top Towns to Fly In-Ride-Fly Out...No Car Rental Needed!-031_falcon8x_2017usb52.jpg

Top Towns to Fly In-Ride-Fly Out...No Car Rental Needed!-033_falcon8x_2017usb52.jpg

Top Towns to Fly In-Ride-Fly Out...No Car Rental Needed!-038_falcon8x_2017usb52.jpg
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Oakridge could make the list. 45 minutes from a commercial airport so an uber might be expensive but there is bus service. Also has a small airport which you can definitely arange a direct flight.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    A lot of these suggestions have trails spread all over hell's half acre, and it's going to be difficult to hit the best trails without a car. Up here in Cumberland, BC, on Vancouver Island, you can fly into Comox, taxi or maybe even bus into Cumberland, and never have to ride more than 2 min to the trail head. Great trails, conveniently located at the edge of the village. Restaurants, hostel, guest house, a couple of small grocery stores, and 2 bike shops, boom.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Denver works. Fly into DIA, get a ride out to Golden, then there are plenty of bike shops with rentals and trails withing a short pedal of the shops.

Sun Valley and Tahoe also work pretty well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Rotorua, NZ. About 15-20 min easy spin from the airport you're at Redwoods
    Last edited by MozFat; 08-20-2017 at 12:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mozfat View Post
    rotorua, nz. About 15-20 min spin from the airport your at redwoods
    yes!!!
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I'd rent a car or an suv, a lot more flexibility.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    I'd rent a car or an suv, a lot more flexibility.

The whole point is to nat have to rent a car. No car needed in many spots.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    May 2006
    fwiw I pretty much always rent a car (national, usually grab a pickup for $40/day, makes it easy to get around)

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BikePilot1 View Post
    fwiw I pretty much always rent a car (national, usually grab a pickup for $40/day, makes it easy to get around)
    Yeah, I enjoy Emerald Club too when I travel, whether personal or business, it's fun to pick from the lot.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    The whole point is to nat have to rent a car. No car needed in many spots.
    I just figured why restrict yourself to Uber or Lyft? if you need space for a bike, rent an SUV, depending on where you want Uber/Lyft to take you, renting may be cheaper, too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Bentonville fits the bill for a three day or so trip. All trails in Bentonville/Bella Vista proper, even the fabled Coler, are an easy ride from downtown, which coincidentally houses the shop with the best rentals.

There's also a rudimentary public transit system. Shuttle busses that have bike racks that go between all the towns in the metro air. No clue on schedules though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

No known cure
    Fly into Keflavik, Iceland and ride the 30 miles into Reykjavik. Or take the bus which leaves every thirty minutes.

You will want to rent a car to get to the longer rides in the interior, and see the sites in the countryside, or just grab a bus which can be found at any tourist site.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BikePilot1 View Post
    Denver works. Fly into DIA, get a ride out to Golden, then there are plenty of bike shops with rentals and trails withing a short pedal of the shops.

Sun Valley and Tahoe also work pretty well.
    FLY IN, RIDE OUT was the question....and you recommend Denver?!??

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    queesntown NZ. airport is right on the edge of town. gondola to the bike park is a block from the main streets.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Bend, OR also works. Uber to where you are staying, walk to any one of many bike shops, then ride each day to miles of trails.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I know a bunch of guys who fly into vancouver, take shuttle bus to Whistler, and use bikes the rest of their stays. Tons of trails in riding distance. When my bunch goes, we like to rent a van, maximize trail time, minimize road time. And we can go outto Squamish and/or pemberton to ridemore trails!

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Where I am based, Kamloops BC, would fit the bill.

20 minute cab ride and you are at hotels that are a 5 minute pedal on the road to Pineview and Kenna trail net-work. Between the those two areas there is about 100km of mapped single track. If you are will to pedal on the road for 10 minutes then you can find another 50km of single track.

Trails range from stuff that is a blast on an XC bike to stuff that is a blast on a full Enduro sled.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine