Tires and patches- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Tires and patches

Over the last season I have gone through over a dozen tubes. I've patched some of them and others I have just chucked. When I get over 4 or more I generally just get rid of them. When do you get rid of yours? I ride alot of thorny places in the deserts of UT. Then I have lots of left over rubber cement from other patch kits, are there other ways to patch tires using those? Can I find a place to just get the patches? Should I just use vulcanizing glue and old tubes to patch all the tubes I have?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by wyrm
    Over the last season I have gone through over a dozen tubes. I've patched some of them and others I have just chucked. When I get over 4 or more I generally just get rid of them. When do you get rid of yours? I ride alot of thorny places in the deserts of UT. Then I have lots of left over rubber cement from other patch kits, are there other ways to patch tires using those? Can I find a place to just get the patches? Should I just use vulcanizing glue and old tubes to patch all the tubes I have?
    I patch them until they are unrepairable. If the tube tears or the valve rips out then I trash it. I have dozens of tubes of various weights and sizes and quite a few of them have numerous patches.

You can buy patches without the glue. Ask your LBS. They should have a couple of bulk boxes of patches around. Usually cost 10-15 cents a piece.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I have had similar problems in the deserts of Utah.

I live in St George, and the thing that works the best for me is getting rid of the tubes and adding some Stans sealent to the tires. I used to get a least 2 flats per week while running tubes. Now I run UST wheels with non-UST tires, using the stans. Now I never get flats. Well at least I never get puncture flats, I have had a sidewall tear, but that is my only flat in 6 months of riding with the stans. If you have not tried it you should. I am extremly happy with the stans set-up, and I am hard to please. If you are close I know that Red Rock Bicycles has both the Stans Sealent and Rim Strips if you want to pick some up, or go to www.notubes.com.
    Good Luck

Jan 2004
    I watched the video for Stans and the stuff looks amazing.

I use an inserted strip of Kevlar called Snake skins they fit between tire & tube

yes a bit more weight .... but I only raced 2 races last year... had a 6th & a win ..

it works for me

mike

Members who have read this thread: 0