Tick Repellant??

Printable View

• 02-23-2004
    Rich_CA
    Tick Repellant??
    Can anybody recommend a quality tick repellant?? Will mosquito repellant work on ticks? thanks.
  • 02-23-2004
    Brown_Teeth
    DEET works or so they say but it melts plastis sooo, I'm in heavy tickville having suffered 8 latch ons the last 18 months and its best to:

1) Wear white long sleaves and check the legs during the ride, my worse nightmare is one of those dot like dear ticks on the back of my neck, by the time I get home I might be a raisin head.

2) Ride xtra fast and shave/armor the leg hairs, I leave it up to my wife after she is done popping ingrown butt hairs, she just gave the OK for armor any suggestions?
  • 02-24-2004
    Geist262
    I find ultrathon from 3M is the best against ticks, biting flies and mosquitos. Also there is something out there that kills ticks on contact, not sure how to spell it. Something like Permethrin, not sure thats the spelling. You spray this on your clothes, not skin and it kills them instantly. One year I took my nephew riding and we were covered in ticks. The tires were scooping them up from the high grass that grew on the trail, worst experience riding in my life. I HATE TICKS!!!! :mad:
  • 02-24-2004
    noslogan
    sunscreens SPF45 (tastes nasty) nm
    nmnmnmnmnmnmnmnmnmnmn
  • 02-24-2004
    Zizzle to the Tizzle
    Anything with 20% or more Deet
    You'll see various percentages in the ingredients list, but an insect repellant with 20% deet keeps away the little buggers best and more is overkill--according to some backpacking article I read that purported to be based on a scientific study.

Deet does melt plastic so you don't want to be spraying it on synthetic materials (read: lycra). This makes some people very uneasy, but Deet has been around for years and years with very few documented cases of toxicity--the only ones I've heard about were little kids who got slathered in the stuff. It doesn't even kill tics, it just confuses them so they can't "see" you.

Zizzle
  • 02-25-2004
    elder_mtber
    More DEET
    I use insect repellant with about 22% DEET. I think my favorite brand comes in a dark green can. I keep a spray can in the car. Sometimes I find a tick on me but they seldom "attach." I'm convinced the DEET reduces my tick problems.

This spring I might try the other person's idea of applying permethrin to clothing in addition to using the DEET.
  • 02-28-2004
    Weismueller
    Insecticide, yummy-yummy but not on my tummy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich_CA
    Can anybody recommend a quality tick repellant?? Will mosquito repellant work on ticks? thanks.

Regarding Permethrin: It's an insecticide; it listed as a potential carcinogen, and even people selling it say to make sure you're upwind while you're spraying your clothes--laid out on the ground!--and that you let them dry at least two hours before wearing them! But we tend to sweat, don't we? Do you think the sweat will re-moisturize the potent neurotoxins? To me it sounds like one of those things that, before long, we'll know we don't want to be around.
  • 02-28-2004
    Geist262
    "To me it sounds like one of those things that, before long, we'll know we don't want to be around."

Oh!! They said that about cigarettes and napalm too, but look at the benefits. You are so pestimistic. LOL :D