Tick Frequency...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Tick Frequency...

I've gotten two this year. I hate those little a$$holes.

Probably drunk right now

That's it?

It's mountain biking. Nature is going to happen, including ticks.

Depending on the deer population at my trails, I'm good for at least two per ride. Especially if I don't stay on the trail.

Don't get me wrong, ticks suck. But they're part of the equation if you mountain bike. I've chosen to accept them vs. getting overly worked up over them.
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

Retired User
    I'm usually good for 5-20 per ride. Quit complaining.

mtbr member
    2 per ride! Wow... Has their population increased greatly in the last 10 years? I took time off from MTB due to working tons of hours, then lacking insurance and have recently gotten back in. I didn't get one tick riding in NJ on some pretty wooded trails and here in Massachusetts it's been brutal. My nephew recently got a lymes/palsy combo from a tick bite. There are some serious diseases that can go along with tick bites.

mtbr member
    Would pulling socks up, or wearing armor help prevent them or would they just cling on to that and crawl to a good place to dig in? At least now I always find them just above my ankles and are easy to spot...

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by danhasdrums View Post
    Would pulling socks up, or wearing armor help prevent them or would they just cling on to that and crawl to a good place to dig in? At least now I always find them just above my ankles and are easy to spot...
    shave your legs and wear lycra....

and no, i'm not being facetious...i swear...

it'll work...they'll not have a lot to cling to..

Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member
    The guy I ride with ends up with at least two ticks every time he rides. He's had Southern Tick-Associated Rash Illness (STARI) twice. He uses one of these now TickKey Tick Removal Tool and pulls them off before they get a chance to infect.

I had one after a ride last month. That would be the second tick in 43 years for me, they must be worse than normal this summer!
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

check your six
    Skullcap~ That Tick Key is a neat idea. I have never seen this before. I may have to check into it. Thanks!
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC View Post
    ticks suck.

Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    shave your legs and wear lycra....

and no, i'm not being facetious...i swear...

it'll work...they'll not have a lot to cling to..

They can't get under the skin-tight Lycra, either. So fewer places to check. They especially like the groin and armpits, because there's big arteries there. But tight-fitting clothes prevent that.

Quote Originally Posted by sodak06 View Post
    Skullcap~ That Tick Key is a neat idea. I have never seen this before. I may have to check into it. Thanks!
    I have a similar one I got at REI. Haven't used it (yet), but it's easier to carry on a keyring than a pair of tweezers. Mine came with a little magnifying lens, too, so you can see if any little bits of the tick are still stuck in you. This is actually the same one that I picked up.

I have yet to find a tick this year. Last tick I found on me (at all) was crawling along my arm on a 35 MPH sprint on my road bike. The slipstream took care of that one. I haven't found a tick on me on the trails because I'm just always moving so damn fast.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Something else to worry about. Caught something called anaplasmosis, another tick borne disease. Never even saw a tick on me.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the responses. I do wear tight padded shorts under the baggies, so at least that keeps them from crawling up to the genital area. I used to shave my armpits anyway, so maybe I'll get back in to that.
    Does anyone ever get them in their hair? I know ticks usually hang out in low areas, but when you fall into brush, I can see one jumping in there. Perhaps a skull cap under the helmet?
    I'm going to get that tick key for sure.

since 4/10/2009
    be sure you spray your lycra with DEET. generously.

the number of ticks I get depends on where I go and when.

when I mtb, I don't get many. it happens sometimes, but not often.

I get a lot when I hike, though.

I frequently feel them crawling around and have even felt a few as they bit me after I finished my ride/hike.

What does a bean mean?!
    I've only gotten a few ticks while riding over the years. I really only seem to get them after hiking (off trail) or doing yardwork.

For me, a good check back at the trailhead catches them either just starting to 'dig in' or even still crawling around, either way they're easy to remove. Even if I don't see them until later, I've always used tweezers. Other products say removal with tweezers can be dangerous, but I think it is just marketing.

DEET helps, but isn't really a tick replant per se, it's more for the flying insects. And remember it isn't recommended that you apply it under clothing. You could always up the ante and go for some Permethrin. It is much better for ticks specifically, but apply it to your clothes as the oils on your skin will reduce its effectiveness.

I got desensitized to ticks after working at a state park one summer in college. Probably averaged one per day overall, but I would get at least 5 anytime we had to do some weed-eating. To me it's just part of the gig...

Nickel Havr
    Haven't had any this year... Amazingly!

My buddy was "watering the plants" the other day and found a Deer Tick crawling on his d*ck... So I guess they are out there.

There was a time a few years back when I was hiking with my girlfriend and we were covered with over 100 ticks each! So maybe the population is in decline... Or maybe they just don't like me anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    My wife and I can go hiking and I come back covered in ticks and she will not have one on her. I think ticks are more attracted to some people than others.

Professional Crastinator
    I only get 'em if I stop.

So don't stop.

I once broke a chain and had to stop to fix it. Got a tick.
    Gave it a shot of bug spray when I got back to the truck and it jumped off. Although I've heard that that is a bad idea as they may regurgitate bacteria and such when stressed out like that.

-F

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    I only get 'em if I stop.

So don't stop.
    funny you mention that. I got 2 ticks my first time out, happened to take a couple extended breaks.

Last night I had to make quick work of my ride before the sun set. no ticks.
    Gary Fisher HiFi Deluxe 29er

mtbr member
    Funny that someone mentioned REI- that's actually where the tick key that he uses came from. Permanone is supposed to kill ticks on contact and, sprayed on clothing, is supposed to last through several washings. I haven't tried it because they don't seem to like me anyway but it might also be worth a try.
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Deet my friends. Ticks have become a thing of the past for me.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    picking up bug spray tomorrow. 3 trail rides, 4 total ticks. geez

how they get on you when you are zipping around is beyond me, i barely stopped today.

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Waltah View Post
    how they get on you when you are zipping around is beyond me, i barely stopped today.
    The same way you get all those bug guts on the front of your car after driving along the freeway for a while....
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

mtbr member
    I always spray some Off on my legs before riding, have only pulled a big one off me once at dinner after a ride.

I pulled a deer tick off my hip the other morning, likely brought in by one of our 4 cats. Probably hadn't been there long, as it hasn't swelled or turned rashy, but will keep monitoring for early signs of Lyme. Lyme is no big deal if you treat it early, but can mess you up pretty good if not treated.
    Pivot Switchblade
    SantaCruz Tallboy C
    SantaCruz Solo C
    Specialized Fatboy
    Trek Madone 8
    Lemond Zurich

Fart smeller
    Put butter on them, burn them with a match head and twist them counter-clockwise when you pull them out with your fingers.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."

Heather Heyer

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I do a lot of hunting so ticks are nothing new to me, I just yank them off and keep going, never had a problem. When I hunt during turkey season I use bug skins, could really care less about ticks, it's the chiggers that piss me off. If I am just going riding a couple of sprays of skin so soft will ward off most ticks and mosquitos......

mtbr member
    a shot of apple cider vinegar a day, will keep them off of you, or drink some pickle juice. its an old-timer trick, and it works great. i stopped using spray a few years ago after learning this. they do not like the vinegar.
    im always in the woods year round, at the hunting property or riding etc. not 1 tick in 3 years

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by missioncontracting View Post
    a shot of apple cider vinegar a day, will keep them off of you, or drink some pickle juice. its an old-timer trick, and it works great. i stopped using spray a few years ago after learning this. they do not like the vinegar.
    im always in the woods year round, at the hunting property or riding etc. not 1 tick in 3 years
    can you smell it in your sweat though?

mtbr member
    haha.no. just have some pickles with lunch...that'll do

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Garlic pills work to. And they dnt make you stink. Try some of the natural products by cutter.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by wbmason55 View Post
    I'm usually good for 5-20 per ride. Quit complaining.
    That sound dangerous. Is this normal for others? Are you doing anything about it? I get a few a year, less than a dozen, it doesnt bother me. But 5-20 per ride sounds like a good chance on getting bit and infected.

mtbr member
    im getting bug spray with deet in it , ive been on the local trail for about 40 miles this week and have had 6 ticks. 2 of which bit good.

Rockflopper
    I've had two ticks this year. After my last ride I thoroughly checked EVERYWHERE.....then I took a shower. Sure enough later that night I find one on my thigh. How the hell does that happen??? I seriously don't get it.

The first tick I got this year was embedded in my neck for at least a day and half. I didn't mess around and took antibiotics right away but three months later I still have a nice red spot.

mtbr member
    im going to keep an eye on my bites to see fi they look unusual. did a bunch of research and the ticks that were on me were dog ticks, they do not carry lyme.

still buying bug spray though

ride more
    Mar 2007
    I was diagnosed with Lyme and Anaplasmosis this year. It really sucks, and I never found a tick on me. It's pretty scary how sick the little Bastards can make you. Be careful out there.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Nasty creatures, used to get a lot of them when I was stationed in OK, during the summer id stick to doubletracks and fire roads, or WIDE singletrack. Anything in the brush in the summer was usually bad. Now I live in a dry climate at relatively high altitude and they are a thing of the past for me, but I may be moving to a much wetter climate with more vegitation in the near future where I'm sure there'll be a lot more.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I have never had a tick on me somehow. Friends have gotten them though. They are always good for a few laughs loading up at the trailhead afterwards.
    I support the right of all Americans to keep and arm bears.

mtbr lurker
    Never had a tick, but I wear the tight stretchy stuff