ti skewers ok on hardtail?- Mtbr.com
    34N 118W

ti skewers ok on hardtail?

I scored some Hope ti skewers from a guy at my LBS. Free is good.

I ride a rigid-forked hardtail (SS) and seemed to remember hearing about ti skewers not being cool on a rigid. For suspension only? What's the deal?

BTW - I picked up one of these at a bike expo and they absolutely suck. Their claim that they cam open wide enough to clear the lawyer tabs is false. And they loosen as you ride.

Thx,
    HW

Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood

I ride a rigid-forked hardtail (SS) and seemed to remember hearing about ti skewers not being cool on a rigid. For suspension only? What's the deal?

BTW - I picked up one of these at a bike expo and they absolutely suck. Their claim that they cam open wide enough to clear the lawyer tabs is false. And they loosen as you ride.

Thx,
    HW
    Ti skewers are fine as long as you're not using disk brakes. I'd avoid the Ti skewer, especially on the front wheel, if you are using disk brakes.
    Last edited by WarrGuru; 04-28-2004 at 02:17 PM.

34N 118W
    yep, f & r discs (nm)

Dec 2003

Avoid the "Quick" skewers at any cost!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood

Thx,
    HW
    I picked up a couple of those skewers at the Sea Otter last year. They seemed like a great idea.

I almost killed myself last week. I was riding with a couple of friends. We got ready to ride a singletrack with about 15 or so log piles. I put on arm and leg armor and we started riding. I went about 15 feet, hit a small log (about 8" in diameter) and endoed.

I couldn't figure out what happened. I asked my friends if they could tell why I endoed, and when they stopped laughing, they said that they couldn't tell.

We continued riding for another 4 hours. THings felt weird, but I attributed it to a case of nerves from the earlier endo.

When I got home, I went to put the bike away. I grabbed the front wheel and it moved about 3/4" side to side...with the skewer tight. WTF???? I checked the skewer, but it felt tight.

I removed the skewer and discovered that it has a design flaw. The pad that is under the cam can rotate. If it's even slightly out of position when you lock it....it feels tight and locks down. As you ride, the pad rotates and the skewer loses it's clamping force. The wheel is loose.

Do yourself a favor and throw those pieces of [email protected] in the trash. The company selling those skewers is gonna have a major lawsuit against them. If something isn't done soon, someone's gonna die because of them.

The selling point of the skewers is that they lock in place. In reality, only the cam lever locks in place....the skewer is free to loosen up.

ballbuster

Thanks for the tip

I nearly bought one of those at Sea Otter the other week. I'm glad I didn't. I still may get one for my roof rack. That thing is a PITA to loosen and tighten the right amount every time I take the bike off.

I was thinking of replacing my Performance Bike Q-Stick Pros because of the Ti skewer/Disc thing. I would have never had bought them, but they were on uber-sale for $10, so I figured what the heck. I have never had an issue yet, but I have never broken my femur either... and that does not mean it is unbreakable.

Mar 2004

The deal

The deal is you got it backwards. Ti skewers fine for rigid forks and hardtails. Less fine for suspension forks and f/s swingarms because those strurctures are already flexy, and ti skewers just allow even more flex.

34N 118W

ain't skewer'd

Quote Originally Posted by bulC
    The deal is you got it backwards. Ti skewers fine for rigid forks and hardtails. Less fine for suspension forks and f/s swingarms because those strurctures are already flexy, and ti skewers just allow even more flex.
    thanks dude - I knew that was a possibilty (backwards) but just chose one way to jot down into words. So why are some saying ti skewer + disc = bad? Guess I don't get it. Prone to failure or what? So far I'm just running a ti skewer/qr on the rear. Still looking for the hot setup up front, for either disc or susp., depending on my mood.

HW

Mar 2004

Why disk brake + ti skewer = bad

The one-sided force that a disc brake puts on a hub tends to make the hub want to twist out of the dropouts. Rim brakes, conversely, impart their force evenly to both sides of the hub so this doesn't occur.
    Ti being more flexy than steel lets this happen more readily.
    Actually, the worst thing about a q/r skewer and a disc brake isn't whether the shaft is ti or steel. It's whether the ends are grippy steel or slippery aluminum. Most all aftermarket skewers, as well as an increasing number of stock ones, now have aluminum ends to save a little weight. No matter how tight they're made, the aluminum ends are too soft to bite and hold in the dropouts under the twisting forces of a disc brake. For the same reason, anyone running a singlespeed or fixed gear in a frame with horizontal dropouts will get nothing from grief from any of the lightweight quick release skewers. So they overreact and switch to a less convenient solid axle and axle nuts, when switching to a skewer with serrated steel ends would hold their wheel securely without slipping. All my fixers and SS bikes use steel-ended q/r skewers and my wheels never slip.
    If I had discs I would run skewers with steel ends, period.

ballbuster

I thought it was the force vector

In other words, Disc brakes when applied, want to push the axle straight down, which happens to be the open direction of the dropouts on a fork. The caliper is grabbing the disc on the backside/upward moving part of the disc.

Ti skewers have enough flex in them to possibly allow the axle to slip. In the case of that guy who was paralyzed, he used a prototype fork without lawyer lips and his axle squirted right out of the dropout on a high speed decent.

Rim brakes want to push the axle backwards, against, not out of the dropouts. And yeah, there is the issue of grabbing the brakes from one side of the forks only, causing twisting. That's why sport motorcycles often have two discs and calipers up front.

But hey, I could be wrong, your mileage may vary, at participating locations, blah blah blah.

Jan 2004
    There is no such thing as a rigid forked hardtail. A hardtail refers to a bike with just front end suspension(thus the 'hard" tail). A bike with no suspension is a "rigid" bike, or a bike with no suspension.

34N 118W

really?

Quote Originally Posted by fredł
    There is no such thing as a rigid forked hardtail. A hardtail refers to a bike with just front end suspension(thus the 'hard" tail). A bike with no suspension is a "rigid" bike, or a bike with no suspension.
    so if I buy a new hardtail frame, then I automatically get a suspension fork with it? Cool!

beat to death (almost) here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...light=hardtail

damn singlespeeders. Cain't figger out what means what.

now, about those ti skewers....