Taping Bars w/Bar Ends- Mtbr.com
    "Tragically Flawed"

Taping Bars w/Bar Ends

Maybe a dumb question, but something I've not done before.

What's the neatest way to start? Usually I leave 1/4" or so overlap, tuck it in, and hammer in a plug. Obviously that's not going to work with bar ends.

I'd like to avoid a lumpy mess, not wild about an electrical tape wrap down there where the hands will be, and most photos I've found don't show enough detail to see what's really happening.

Ideas, anyone??? And thanks!

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    What I have done is to take a metal-edged ruler and a sharp razor blade and slice off the end of the bar tape at an angle. I measure about five inches in on the ruler and slice away. I usually cut the second tape right after doing the first one so that I don't cut it the wrong way accidentally. Then I'll take some double-sided celophane tape and wrap the very end of the handlebar to hold that first part down. After doing this I mount the bar-end shifter and run the cables all the way to the derailleurs. I'll then take some electrical tape and tape the cable housing to the bar just before the bend where the housing will depart from the bar. This holds the housing straight and gives you a reference for when to wrap the bar tape under the housing. Then I tuck the point of the cut bar tape under the cable housing so that the cut edge butts up against the bar-end shifter and I wrap away.

Members who have read this thread: 0