mtbr member
    Jan 2019

Tallboy VS Trance 29

Hey guys. I'm currently riding a hardtail and looking at getting my first full suspension. Got it narrowed down to a few bikes. Top two are the Santa Cruz Tallboy and the Trance 29.

I've demo'd both bikes and liked them both but lean more towards the Tallboy. Liked the way it climbed and cornered. The thing that keeps me from purchasing the TB is I'm not a fan of the current colors. Also I'm hearing they may come out with an updated Tb4 coming next summer. Possibly updated geo, maybe more travel etc and HOPEFULLY better colors! Would suck to spend the money now and then see a new and improved bike come out in next few months.

Trance 29- I really like the way it looks and the specs. Price is comparable. I feel like it may be a little more capable then the TB but not sure. Want to get a bike that I wont outgrow as I'm fairly new into the sport.

So the debate is should I wait for the and see what Santa Cruz comes out with next summer? Or buy current version and just live with the color? Or jump on the Trance since its got the updated geo and looks good.

I'm a intermediate rider. I do ride a lot of chunky/rocky terrain (Sedona etc) but don't do jumps or large drops.

Thanks for any input on the Tallboy vs Trance 29

Flat Pluto Society
    Seriously?

Live with the color. It's gonna have dirt and stickers on it after a while.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Who led you to think a tb4 is coming fairly soon? An updated HT more likely. But I get not wanting to buy and then it gets updated quickly---we all deal with this these days to some extent.

If you want to ride these day then buy the bike you like-----hard for me to imagine waiting 6 months hoping for a new color--both those bikes are good bikes with the Trance being very new

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Thanks! Yeah I really donít want to wait that long to get a new bike, but I could.
    Last edited by rotorwind; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:09 AM.

mtbr member
    I donít get the hate on the colors. Iíve got a tall boy in ox blood, and think itís absolutely beautiful. I also love riding it. Havenít ridden the trance, otherwise Iíd compare the two.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Glad to hear you love the TB! Color just doesnít do it for me but a lot of people I know really like it. Iíd probably go green if I got one

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Looked at SC colors the other day at the local dealer. Thought they were awful personally.

Regardless of what cool folks say, visual sells. Donít know why they didnít at least include a black frame

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by baitdragger View Post
    Looked at SC colors the other day at the local dealer. Thought they were awful personally.

Regardless of what cool folks say, visual sells. Donít know why they didnít at least include a black frame

Agree. They should have a neutral color option

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Vinyl wrap it in in color you want.

All fat, all the time.
    Pick the one that rides the best. You won't care about the color after a week or so.
    Or, be it's winter, wait until the new ones are out... It won't be that long.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    I generally have not liked SC colorways for years. Apparently someone there is into Miami Vice big time.

I try to get adventurous, colour-wise, whenever I get a new bike. I inevitably end up with black or dark grey. And happy.

monster member
    I've been in that situation before, both with mtbs and motorcycles. Once you own it, the color tends to grow on you. My last Specialized was a weird purple with orange stripes. My two least-favorite colors. But over the years I actually got to like that it was a bazaar color scheme.

If you HATE whatever bike you're thinking of, then of course don't buy it, but there's so many bikes out there, you should be able to find some color you don't hate even if the color isn't your first choice.
    Last edited by Wheelspeed; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:05 PM.
    Have fun!

Turns right to go left
    Last year in my search for a new 29er I demoed a lot of bikes before choosing a Tall Boy 3 CC with a 130mm fork. One the bikes I tested was the Trance. I found the Trance to be a versatile bike, considering its travel, it did everything pretty well. But it did nothing better than the Tall Boy to stand out. The Tall Boy excelled in warranty, climbing/pedaling and steering/handling.

Another issue for me was I'm 6'-2'.5 and I while riding flats or climbing, I could not get in a good position on a XL Trance, I assume it had something to do with the reach and the seat tube angle. I felt like I was always too far over the back wheel.

Color? Not a factor for me.

Tallboy VS Trance 29-fullsizeoutput_2d4.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Just curious if you were demoing the new 2019 Trance? Pretty major differences between the 2018 and 2019.

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by hogfly View Post
    Just curious if you were demoing the new 2019 Trance? Pretty major differences between the 2018 and 2019.
    Since he seems to indicate the Trance 29 specifically, it can only be a 2019, unless he's demo'ing a '12 o'13, because those are the only years they've made a Trance 29.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Hah. Youíre right. I totally glossed over the ďsearch for a 29erĒ part.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by hogfly View Post
    Yes 2019 trance 29. Taking the Tallboy demo out again and the trance later this week

Don't Tread on Me
    I have ridden both the Trance 29 and the Tall Boy. In my opinion they ride very similar. The big differences I have found are directly related to the Maestro suspension.

The Trance soaks up transitions. So on any of my trails with lots of jumps, I definitely want the Tall Boy. With the TB, I can just send it with lots of authority and get predicable height and distance. The Trance on jumps is a total crap shoot. You never know what you will get. The TB also gets the nod on super fast downhill gnar.

But, the Trance is better on everything else. It climbs better, its quicker and more agile.

Have fun making up your mind.
    Consciousness, that annoying time between bike rides.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopaka View Post
    I have ridden both the Trance 29 and the Tall Boy. In my opinion they ride very similar. The big differences I have found are directly related to the Maestro suspension.

The Trance soaks up transitions. So on any of my trails with lots of jumps, I definitely want the Tall Boy. With the TB, I can just send it with lots of authority and get predicable height and distance. The Trance on jumps is a total crap shoot. You never know what you will get. The TB also gets the nod on super fast downhill gnar.

But, the Trance is better on everything else. It climbs better, its quicker and more agile.

Have fun making up your mind.

Thanks for the reply! Thatís interesting info. I would have thought the trance would jump better and the TB would climb better. I donít jump really but definitely interested in the climbing ability!

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by 410sprint View Post
    Last year in my search for a new 29er I demoed a lot of bikes before choosing a Tall Boy 3 CC with a 130mm fork. One the bikes I tested was the Trance. I found the Trance to be a versatile bike, considering its travel, it did everything pretty well. But it did nothing better than the Tall Boy to stand out. The Tall Boy excelled in warranty, climbing/pedaling and steering/handling.

Another issue for me was I'm 6'-2'.5 and I while riding flats or climbing, I could not get in a good position on a XL Trance, I assume it had something to do with the reach and the seat tube angle. I felt like I was always too far over the back wheel.

Color? Not a factor for me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_2d4.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	496.5 KB 
ID:	1234174

Good info! Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelspeed View Post
    I've been in that situation before, both with mtbs and motorcycles. Once you own it, the color tends to grow on you. My last Specialized was a weird purple with orange stripes. My two least-favorite colors. But over the years I actually got to like that it was a bazaar color scheme.

If you HATE whatever bike you're thinking of, then of course don't buy it, but there's so many bikes out there, you should be able to find some color you don't hate even if the color isn't your first choice.

Thanks. Donít hate the green color just donít love it. Nice Trance! I was looking at that silver one. Very sharp!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Don't buy a bike in a color you don't like, usually like most have said it may grown on you, but I've had 1 that I just never liked. Granted, when riding I don't think of the color of the bike for 1 second, however if you are paying so much for a bike you want to be happy happy with your purchase..

mtbr member
    May 2014
    rotorwind Just because a bike has more modern geometry does not mean it will work for you on your trails. Depending on your skill and the terrain one bike could be better for you than the other. You said you liked the Santa Cruz better than the Giant. Buy the one you liked riding better.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Naolin View Post
    Don't buy a bike in a color you don't like, usually like most have said it may grown on you, but I've had 1 that I just never liked. Granted, when riding I don't think of the color of the bike for 1 second, however if you are paying so much for a bike you want to be happy happy with your purchase..

Yeah thatís how Iím kinda thinking of it. Itís a big purchase so want to be happy with the looks and how it rides....

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Georgia_Rider View Post
    rotorwind Just because a bike has more modern geometry does not mean it will work for you on your trails. Depending on your skill and the terrain one bike could be better for you than the other. You said you liked the Santa Cruz better than the Giant. Buy the one you liked riding better.
    Thatís true. My dealer also said that. Just because they make changes doesnít mean you will like them! True true

mtbr member
    Have you looked to see if there are any 2018 Tallboys still out there?

The 2019 in oxblood does always remind of Alvin and the Chipmunks.

Tallboy VS Trance 29-tallboy-rd_x700.jpg

Name:  MV5BMTQxMzYzMDQ5NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTkzMzg4Mg@@._V1_CR0,60,640,360_AL_UX477_CR0,0,477,268_AL_.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  14.5 KB

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    Have you looked to see if there are any 2018 Tallboys still out there?

The 2019 in oxblood does always remind of Alvin and the Chipmunks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tallboy-rd_x700.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	1234391

Name:  MV5BMTQxMzYzMDQ5NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTkzMzg4Mg@@._V1_CR0,60,640,360_AL_UX477_CR0,0,477,268_AL_.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  14.5 KB
    Haha! Alvin is spot on!

I found the one older model in black but doesnít have the specs I was looking for

monster member
    That oxblood does look nice!

True, the time you spend cleaning, lubing, and maintaining your bike is better if you like the color.

Hate to muddy the waters for you, but Specialized Stump Jumper seems to be in the mix that you're looking in. I was thinking of a Stump Jumper 29 short-travel, but never got around to riding one.
    Have fun!

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelspeed View Post
    That oxblood does look nice!

True, the time you spend cleaning, lubing, and maintaining your bike is better if you like the color.

Hate to muddy the waters for you, but Specialized Stump Jumper seems to be in the mix that you're looking in. I was thinking of a Stump Jumper 29 short-travel, but never got around to riding one.

I actually considered the Stumpy ST. Not a big fan of my local dealer though. Have a good relationship with my local giant/Santa Cruz dealer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Re: color. I had a 2015 5010 in the Orange. The other color (black, I think) wasn't available so I bought the orange. It never grew on me but I didn't care either.

I sold it and just bought the 2019 5010. I got the black, because while the purple isn't bad it just didn't do it for me. Ever since, I've kind of regretted that I didn't get the purple. Stupid I know, but that's how I think sometimes.

Anyway, I don't think you can go wrong with either. If it's me, I would choose the one that climbs the best.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Flagg View Post
    Re: color. I had a 2015 5010 in the Orange. The other color (black, I think) wasn't available so I bought the orange. It never grew on me but I didn't care either.

I sold it and just bought the 2019 5010. I got the black, because while the purple isn't bad it just didn't do it for me. Ever since, I've kind of regretted that I didn't get the purple. Stupid I know, but that's how I think sometimes.

Anyway, I don't think you can go wrong with either. If it's me, I would choose the one that climbs the best.
    thanks! Climbing is a major deciding factor for sure

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The TB has proven to be a very capable bike for me.

Keep in mind that SC sells different colored Santa Cruz down tube stickers. This is an eady cheap way to change the look some. If you choose that route and add invisiframe you will be set.
    2017 Santa Cruz Tallboy CC

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by stygz1 View Post

Keep in mind that SC sells different colored Santa Cruz down tube stickers. This is an eady cheap way to change the look some. If you choose that route and add invisiframe you will be set.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stygz1 View Post

Ive always wondered how people did this. Kind of a game changer.... im not a black/grey bike guy but some of the coloured bike SC has are not my style either. Like the green and baby blue tallboy... not a fan of the blue .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....