Suggestions for cold weather riding gear? First cold ride update p. 2- Mtbr.com

Jun 2008

Suggestions for cold weather riding gear? First cold ride update p. 2

I have decided to ride through the winter this year. We had some flurries today and the temp has dipped below freezing tonight. I was wondering what tips you might have for cold weather riding clothes.

My riding gloves are way too thin. I went for a test ride in some hiking gloves and my hands got cold quick. Do you guys wear ski gloves or are there quality cold weather riding gloves you like?

I plan to use layers and a fleece jacket. Do you guys use Under Armor-type cold gear?

I don't want to get all geared up like I'm going sledding and sacrifice too much of my ability to move. I just keep picturing Randy from A Christmas Story trying to ride!

What do you guys wear when you go riding in the winter?
    Last edited by Bo55Diesel; 11-22-2008 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Title update

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo55Diesel
    What do you guys wear when you go riding in the winter?
    It depends how cold it is but I use combinations of these down to around 0F;

mtb shoes w/ liner sock and wool sock down to 22F then lake winter boots or flat pedals and hiking shoes with liner and wool socks.

very thin wicking toque, balaclava made of same fabric either ona at a time or layered.

base layer wicking underwear tops, very thin fleece top, light fleece jacket, light wind jacket, layered to suit conditions.

thin fleece gloves under larger riding gloves, ski gloves, fleece mitts in windproof mitt shell.

bib shorts, stay in place under the layers, bib tights, tights w/ windproof front, light wind pants, long johns, layered to suit conditions.

Don't dress too warm as you will overheat. Layers that you can add and remove. Be carefull of your hands, feet, and ears.

If your feet go numb, get off and walk til they warm up.

I have succesfully biked down to -30C, well below 0F. I am a Canadian who has lived on the prairies almost my whole life and have lot's of experience working and playing in extreme cold.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

Jun 2008
    Thanks for the info! I have to figure out a way to wear a winter knit cap under my helmet.

I think I am going to try to acquire a polypropolene (sp?) top from my step-dad who is in the service. They use those for cold conditions and he swears by them.

Questions:

What are liner socks? Are you talking about some athletic socks under the wool or are liners a special kind of sock?

What are bib shorts?

Thanks again!!!

local trails rider
    What to wear also depends on what kind of riding you do and how you react to cold.

Toes is the first thing that I need to pay attention to when it gets cold. Shoes that have space for two pairs of socks should help, or shoe covers.
    Cover your skin.
    Don't wear too much.

If I can keep up some speed, like commuting, my fingers get cold. Ears are next. Temps are a little below the freezing point now and a pair of insulated XC skiing gloves were good in the morning. The helmet was barely enough for the head. Otherwise, I wore jeans, T-shirt, thick sweater, and a windproof jacket: enough when I keep moving.

On trails, my speeds are mostly low and I am still working hard. At around -5C (20F?), my head cooks if I use anything more than a bandanna under the helmet. My hands get soaked if I use more than regular full finger MTB gloves. Otherwise, I'd start from long underwear (synthetic), a layer or two (no cotton!), something more or less wind resistant on top.

Edit:
    My helmets are a pretty tight fit but I manage to wear a thin wool cap underneath when I open up the adjustments. Others have taped over the ventilation holes on the helmets or put a cover over the helmet. A shower cap over the helmet may look goofy but I hear it does the job...

Jun 2008
    ^Gracias!
    Last edited by Bo55Diesel; 11-21-2008 at 02:15 AM. Reason: Clarification

himom!
    Apr 2006
    Here's what I do:

60+: Nothing
    50+: Maybe a long sleeve shirt if it's cloudy
    40+: Wool underlayer + jersey and swap to boots
    30+: Wool + jersey + cheap shell. Boots, wool socks, sock liners. Tights. Ear muffs (the kind that go around the back of the head). Heavier gloves.
    20+: Same, maybe add a light vest.
    Any colder: double wool socks, ski gloves, and use a backlava.

General points.
    1. Wool wool wool wool wool. It's great. It doesn't stink up. It stays warm when wet (crucial in the winter, because you often sweat during high intensity periods). You can just layer wool up as it gets colder.
    2. Boots. You need them if it gets below 40, imo. Toes are hard to keep warm. This will be the priciest problem. Buy a size-ish larger to fit extra socks. Tight fitting shoes = bad circulation = numbness.

Nat
    mtbr member
    I wear a wicking shirt, fleece jacket, shell, fleece pants, a snowboarding helmet, and snowboarding gloves,

Then I go snowboarding.

J/K, I also have Answer winter spd shoes. Shoes and helmet are more critical than the other stuff for my comfort.

Dec 2004

Plastic bags that you get from the supermarket...

Has anyone ever heard of using the plastic bags you get from the supermarket as a good wind block for your feet / toes??

Put your foot in the bag, trim to fit just above the ankle....

I've been given this advice recently but have yet to try it out. I must have 500 under my kitchen sink. Not recycling...but at least re-using.....

local trails rider
    I've heard about the plastic bag thing: inside or outside the shoe. It should work to keep water and wind on the outside, but it will also keep sweat on the inside.

Dec 2004

To Clarify...

Just to clarify...I am talking about the bag being inside the shoe (between the shoe and your sock).

thanks!!!

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich N
    Has anyone ever heard of using the plastic bags you get from the supermarket as a good wind block for your feet / toes??

Put your foot in the bag, trim to fit just above the ankle....

I've been given this advice recently but have yet to try it out. I must have 500 under my kitchen sink. Not recycling...but at least re-using.....
    I did that back in 1976 when I was in 3rd grade and we could not afford moon boots. It works fine for the first 15 minutes but then sweat will overcome your socks. If for some reason that moisture freezes, your toes will be in trouble.

mtbr member
    heres a good test for working/snowboarding/biking outside in the cold, get out of the car and just stand in the parking lot/trail head for 5 minutes, you should be cold, not blue lips hypothermia shivering uncontrollably cold but not warm by any means, so when you start exercising you will warm up and be just about right.

another good tip is just wear a good pair of snowboard/ski socks with your shoes, but before putting on your socks get some stick deodorant with antiperspirant and put it on the bottom and top of your feet including toes, this will prevent your feet from sweating large amounts then getting frozen into little toe-sickles when you stop or your sweat turns cold

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Here's what works for me. It was 22˚ Wednesday and about 25˚ this morning when we went out. I was quite comfortable:

Underarmor Cold Gear shirt
    Patagonia Regulator fleece (that fits correctly, not baggy)
    Rockgardn "Dawn Patrol" wind shirt

Endura Singletrack pants (w/ the click fast liner shorts)

Smart Wool socks

Dakine gloves (forgot the model, but they're year round weight down hill style gloves)

Full face helmet & goggles

I think this outfit will suffice down to the upper teen temps. My hands are pretty cold at the beginning of our rides but they warm up after about 10 minutes. My feet are getting a little cold towards the end of the rides, but not miserably so. Winter riding shoes, over shoes, or liner socks may be in my future, especially for colder days.

I'd highly recommend the full face helmet. I just bought my first one, specifically for our winter night rides. I'm really loving it - extra protection and warmth.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    =========================================
    Minnesota Off Road Cyclists www.morcmtb.org

mtbr member
    May 2007
    underarmor cold gear top and pants. Shorts on top, tee shirt on top, wind breaker as top layer, full finger gloves, good for 30 degrees.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    This morning it was 33F and foggy. I wore a thin Nike dry fit long sleeve poly shirt under a Pearl Izumi Zephyrr jacket. I was cold at first but warmed up in no time.

For legs, I wore my Pearl Izumi Amfib tights...warm and dry as always. Those work for most cooler or wet conditions.

My gloves were inappropriate so I won't bother mentioning them.

I should have donned my Endura neoprene booties as my feet got quite cold. I usually wear those and then pull the Amfib tights over the tops...completely waterproof.

My ears and face and eyes were cold. My eyes were very red at the end of the 12 miles but none the worse for wear.

Jun 2008
    WOW!

Thank you for all the information! You guys have lots of great ideas and I am very appreciative of you taking the time to share your thoughts with me.

I am going to have to do some shopping. Though I do own some things that will work, I have some deficiencies in my winter riding gear arsenal.

Thanks again!!!

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005

Heat packs are awesome too

WOW!

Thank you for all the information! You guys have lots of great ideas and I am very appreciative of you taking the time to share your thoughts with me.

I am going to have to do some shopping. Though I do own some things that will work, I have some deficiencies in my winter riding gear arsenal.

Thanks again!!!
    For me, my toes are the worst part. I conquered cold down to single digits here in Pittsburgh by wearing this cycling socks w/chemical heat packs duct taped over the top of my toes and then Gore-Tex sox over that in regular bike shoes. I typically wear shorts down to the teens unless there is a lot of standing around time! Wicking layers for up top followed by a windbreaker keeps thing comfy for the most part. A thin balaklava keeps my bean warm! Hunting/shooting gloves (thin but warm and wind resistant) keep my hands good!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    I did that back in 1976 when I was in 3rd grade and we could not afford moon boots. It works fine for the first 15 minutes but then sweat will overcome your socks. If for some reason that moisture freezes, your toes will be in trouble.
    agree with that, i used to do it in the 80's as a child and recently at a muddy festival, fine for a while don't be doing it too long, invest in waterproof(and breathable) shoes and socks, preferably goretex if you can afford it..

on the gear in general. i'm doing my first winter commute this year, so far temp at the moment are hovering around 0-5/6C for me in varying conditions.

when it's not raining or windy it's easy:

wicking top and breathable paramo hooded top do fine(hood under helmet works really well), along with lightwieght hiking boots a thin pair of socks and a pair of endura cycling trousers. and i've bought a pair of water proof gloves(they get sweaty inside but are still very warm when wet so all good there, they keep the wind out which is the main think.

if it start to get windy, i'll add my waterproof nylon shell jacket, fantastic wind break and really keeps you toastie.

if it starts to rain, i'll add the nylon waterproof trousers, (complete shell cost me about 80 pound, peter storm make, been a great investment, too warm for the summer but great for this weather.

if it gets colder, rains more and gets windier, i'll just add a few more layers underneath, another spongy type zip cycling top(zip tops are essential over your wicking top btw means if you do get too warm you can get ventilation in straight away , also have a pair of shorts to put on if needed to keep my balls warm , essential!

i'll add extra socks if required.

So far i'm pretty indestructable in this get up and and i'm looking forward to the worst months of january and february..will be an interesting first year of commutng thru winter but i think i'm ready for it, initial results are good

mtbr member

Strange phenomenon

I arrived at the trail head geared up for the cold. 42 degrees - skull cap, wool undershirt, shell, tights, baggies, two pairs of wool socks, boots. I pulled the bike off the rack and got a bit of a surprise. I forgot my gloves and the bike felt like ice. I was ready to ride but after touching the frame and the cold starting to set in, I was really debating whether to ride or not. I figured I would ride as far as I could and then turn around once I couldn't feel my fingers anymore. I start my ride with a sprint down the singletrack. 100 yards in and my fingers are hurting. The wind is beating on the tops of my hands and my digits feel like they are getting numb and unresponsive. I need to put in at least 1 mile, then I will turn around. At 1/2 mile, I feel pretty good and my hands didn't hurt. I stopped to warm my hands but noticed that they were not cold. Just from the feeling from my hands, I would have guessed the temperature was 70 degrees or warmer. I could feel the cold slowly creeping into my legs and back but my hands were fine. I rode 9 miles and when I finished, the sun was down and the temperature was 35 degrees. The only time my hands got cold was when I was going faster than 13 or 14 mph.

The Mud Stud
    I dont get this. I wear a pair of windbreaker pants that have a liner but nothing under that, and a thin longsleeve shirt with a windbreaker coat over it. Wool socks, and a hoodie, and performance windstopper gloves with a liner. This is what I dont get, while I am overheating (both and top and bottom) my feet are cold with wool socks (shimano mt21 shoes) and my hands are still freaking freezing. Any suggestions? I generally am known to have cold hands.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info! I have to figure out a way to wear a winter knit cap under my helmet.

I think I am going to try to acquire a polypropolene (sp?) top from my step-dad who is in the service. They use those for cold conditions and he swears by them.

Questions:

What are liner socks? Are you talking about some athletic socks under the wool or are liners a special kind of sock?

What are bib shorts?

Thanks again!!!
    Liner socks are thin polyproplene socks that fit under your wool socks to wick the sweat away.

Bib shorts are cycling shorts with integrel suspenders. Super comfy and really stay in place. You don't want uour shorts sliding down when you are wearing a couple of layers over them. You have to dig under all the layers to hitch them up.

Layers, and a wicking base layer. Feet, hands, and ears.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

Jun 2008
    ^Thanks! More info to guide my purchases!

REALLY?
    I got this off ebay for my niece for christmas and was so impressed with it I bought one for myself, its a NWT (new with tags) waterproof Gore-tex parka type coat and it comes with a zip-in fleece liner. And at 75.00$ a pop its a steal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/08-PEAK-PERFORMA...QQcmdZViewItem
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

Jun 2008
    It's official - I'm an idiot.

I was sitting here cruising the forum when I thought to myself, "I think I have a snow jacket in the back of the closet from college." I went and checked and there it was: A Precision Mountainwear jacket. I seem to have lost the inner liner, but I have several fleeces that will do the trick.

One piece down, a couple to go.

Thanks to everybody for their info!!!

tao
    succinct
    Whenever it gets cold I wear the state of Florida.
    plunging like stones from a slingshot on mars.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Went yesterday morning in 2" of snow while it was snowing and 25 deg.
    All of are trails are in the mtns and when its cold i will start out on a trail with long climbs to get the engine running,this is extremely effective.
    I wear compression fit top and bottom,a thin pair of Canari riding pants,a fleece pull-over,a poly headband,Gortex gloves and wool socks with a thin pair of wicking socks underneath.

I never over dress as you'll find you generate alot of heat peddling especially climbing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgothro
    I got this off ebay for my niece for christmas and was so impressed with it I bought one for myself, its a NWT (new with tags) waterproof Gore-tex parka type coat and it comes with a zip-in fleece liner. And at 75.00$ a pop its a steal.

peak performance is waaay cheap...is the quality there...?
    Bikes + Wedding = Less Bikes

Jun 2008
    Well boys, I went out for a cold weather ride today to test out my existing gear and see what deficiencies need to be addressed with new pieces.

Air temperature = 35 F
    Wind chill = 28 F

I wore a sleeveless Nike Dri-Fit shirt, jersey, light fleece zip-up, and heavier fleece vest on top. On the bottom I wore non-cold gear tights over cargo shorts, Dri-Fit socks under thick wool socks, and Nike running shoes (my normal riding shoes).

I put small cotton balls in my ears and wore a thin wool cap and wore my regular riding gloves (Fox Dirtpaws).

The verdict: I rode 12 miles of urban. The ride out was into the wind and my hands were cold for the first couple of miles. After that, they warmed up and remained cool the rest of the ride, but I was never uncomfortable. My core stayed nice and warm and my legs were ok, as well. My toes were cold by the end of the ride, but not unbearably so. Head and ears were perfect.

What did I learn: I need to get some better foot gear. I also think I would prefer a long sleeved Dri-Fit undershirt and I think cold weather tights would be good. I might look to get some Fox Polarpaws just to keep the hands a little warmer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Today @ 28f

I wore top to bottom
    Novara skull cap
    Short Sleeve Under Armor
    Pearl Izumi Kodiak jersey
    A shell from a Columbia winter coat
    Performance Scirocco gloves
    Pearl Izumi Kodiak tights
    Defeet wool blaze socks
    Performance neoprene booties

I wish I had a wind stopper vest. The full shell was too much for today. I had both the shell and the jersey unzipped after about part of the ride. Everything else was nice and toasting, yet not sweating. Colder temps and I would layer wind stopping pants on top of the tights.
    "Being smart and fit is expensive, but not as expensive as being fat and dumb" - 9.8m/s/s

REALLY?
    Quote Originally Posted by adubb25
    peak performance is waaay cheap...is the quality there...?

Yeah...like I said, I bought one for my niece and got a good look at it first...and I'm picky when it comes to that sorta stuff, I'm 38 and I've been homeless off and on since I was 12 and have experience with lots of that sorta stuff, I wouldnt have bought one if I didnt think it was good. And its waterproof just like it says and came with gore-tex tags, has nice taped seams. I even held my niece's coat under a faucet and water rolled off it the same way it would roll off candle wax.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

mtbr member

Today 26 degrees.........

26 degrees with a steady 15mph wind...here is what i wore:

Castegelli Bib shorts
    Louis Garneau Oslo Tights(windstopper on the front)
    North Face L/S Vaporwick light shirt
    SmartWool Socks
    Polo RLX Cycling Jacket(med wt. , windshell outer with lt fleece bonded, vented back)
    Underarmor skull cap
    Columbia ski gloves(one size to big, not tight at all)
    Clear glasses
    baggies over each foot, with a heat pack on top

No problem all of the ride, about 3 hours outside....when we stopped riding for a few minutes a couple of times and were exposed to the wind it got cold fast!
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlepito
    underarmor cold gear top and pants. Shorts on top, tee shirt on top, wind breaker as top layer, full finger gloves, good for 30 degrees.
    This is pretty much exactly what I do with great success.

mtbr member
    I might look to get some Fox Polarpaws just to keep the hands a little warmer.
    I wear these and really like them.

Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason B.
    I wear these and really like them.
    Dear Santa,

Please bring me a pair of Fox Polarpaws in size XL for Christmas. I have been a good boy all year and would really like to have them. I will leave milk and cookies out for you when you come. You can also go out in the garage and get a "special drink" from the refrigerator with all the stickers on it.

Thank you,

Bo

The White Jeff W
    I picked up a pair of Reebok NFL receivers gloves for $10 bucks at the Reebok outlet & wore them as my regular riding gloves all summer. The palms are super tacky and give great grip. I wonder what the winter versions are like? Might have to pick up a pair & try 'em out.

Something like this...http://www.weplaysports.com/Cutters/football/

or the Under Armor Cold Gear gloves http://www.weplaysports.com/Under/Ar...oves/ColdGear/
    No moss...

mtbr member

dressed right

If you feel comfortable in the first 2 miles you are dressed too warm.You will start to sweat and feel clammy.

I'm SUCH a square....
    Almost all of my 'undergear' is moisture-wicking, and all of it that I've bought (some has been from friends of the family) has been at Wal-Fart, the Starter brand. I wear it under my workclothes, as my work area doesn't quite get up to comfortable temps, either. I also wear the thick woolly hunting socks, a microfiber balaclava under a stocking cap (universal-fit helmet, loosens enough to accomodate), and standard Thinsulate winter gloves. Did the baggie thing inside the shoes for one winter; my commute was 45 minutes one-way, and it worked well. When it REALLY gets cold, I put on a pair of snowpants, the bib type, and lower my saddle about 5mm. I go slower, but hey -- I'm riding!

Don't do trails or fun riding in the winter; utility trips are largely by bus.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

Jun 2008
    ^Thanks for the info!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgothro

What do you think of your Peak Performance jacket? Is it real GoreTex material?

Members who have read this thread: 0