mtbr member

Suggestions/Advice on First Upgrade on new bike

Should I go with tire inserts or race tires first? Only getting two upgrades this year/season. New Giant Race Bike has a bit over 100 miles on it. No issues so far. I've jumped stairs, rode down stairs, prehopped stairs, done drops, rode rock faces, ruts, gravel roads, roots so far. Moving further into the season I'd like advice on what is the better first upgrade of the two. Last year, I rode a Talon 3 with just race tires. No flats. But this year, I'm more aggressive and planning harder races and harder, more technical tracks/trails. New Bike is tubeless.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Suggestions/Advice on First Upgrade on new bike-20190205_201953.jpg  

mtbr member
    Tires for your local trails are always a great upgrade.

When did you get the new bike?

That looks pretty sweet!
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Awhile ago. It's 2 weeks old.

mtbr member
    And local MTB Track/trails are closed until March 1st still. Last time I could ride and train on the local MTB park was back in January with a borrowed Stuntjumper FSR Comp. Stock tires are fine for RKP. i'm asking for harder stuff. Like Pisgahs Heartbreak ridge.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by dragracer88 View Post
    Should I go with tire inserts or race tires first? Only getting two upgrades this year/season. New Giant Race Bike has a bit over 100 miles on it. No issues so far. I've jumped stairs, rode down stairs, prehopped stairs, done drops, rode rock faces, ruts, gravel roads, roots so far. Moving further into the season I'd like advice on what is the better first upgrade of the two. Last year, I rode a Talon 3 with just race tires. No flats. But this year, I'm more aggressive and planning harder races and harder, more technical tracks/trails. New Bike is tubeless.
    Why do you feel like you need inserts? Why not try a maxxis dd of some flavor? What races are you doing? The minion dhf is a solid choice for your locale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jcd's best friend
    What inserts are you thinking about? I have Cushcore on my Sentinel and love it!
    Trek Emonda | Transition Sentinel | Transition Scout

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I would suggest no upgrades until you experience some obvious limitations. And then upgrade accordingly. Upgradeitis without aim or to chase fads is a disease in the mtb community.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    If you've only had the bike for two weeks and looking for upgrades, IMO you should have just gone for the Trance 2... Since you already bought the bike then ride what you have IMO...

If you are wanting to race, if I were you I would be saving up all my upgrade money for a new Fork in the near future, maybe even going from the 150 it comes with to a 160 Lyric or Fox (again depending on what racing your doing). I found a 2018 160 Lyric on my local Facebook exchange for 400$... If I were you that is what I would focus my savings on. The Tire change is completely situational depending on what races you are doing. But some beefier tires like a maxis DD in the rear might not be a bad idea. I like to have a Maxxis Agressor DD in the back of mine, they are heaver but super Tough.

Flat Pluto Society
    Quote Originally Posted by hesitationpoint View Post
    I would suggest no upgrades until you experience some obvious limitations. And then upgrade accordingly. Upgradeitis without aim or to chase fads is a disease in the mtb community.
    Someone buy that man a beer.

mtbr member
    What tires do you have currently? What do you like/dislike about them?
    2008 BMC Fourstroke 19-559 ISO (RIP in peace)
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

mtbr member
    I bought this bike for a reason. I purposely picked this bike so that I can focus on upgrades and racing, rather than focusing on paying off a slightly more expensive bike, Naolin. Hesitationpoint, my upgrades are not to be popular, but out of purpose and functionality. I ride aggressive, hard and fast. The last thing I want in an urban downhill race, practice rides on a mtb park or trail system, or on a difficult race course, is punctures and pinch flats. Like I said, my bike is still stock. Tubeless tires by default, but they are just exos/normal tires. They haven't gone flat yet, but I was advised by a friend that runs a gravity park to consider upgrades, to prevent broken spokes/folded wheels or flats. Just because I haven't gotten a flat yet riding heavy roots, rock drops, stairs, etc, doesn't mean my luck will continue.

jcd's best friend
    I bought this bike for a reason. I purposely picked this bike so that I can focus on upgrades and racing, rather than focusing on paying off a slightly more expensive bike, Naolin. Hesitationpoint, my upgrades are not to be popular, but out of purpose and functionality. I ride aggressive, hard and fast. The last thing I want in an urban downhill race, practice rides on a mtb park or trail system, or on a difficult race course, is punctures and pinch flats. Like I said, my bike is still stock. Tubeless tires by default, but they are just exos/normal tires. They haven't gone flat yet, but I was advised by a friend that runs a gravity park to consider upgrades, to prevent broken spokes/folded wheels or flats. Just because I haven't gotten a flat yet riding heavy roots, rock drops, stairs, etc, doesn't mean my luck will continue.
    You would probably like Cushcore then. I ride pretty aggressive too and Cushcore helped me out quite a bit.
    Trek Emonda | Transition Sentinel | Transition Scout

the discerning hooligan
    First, make sure you store all you reciepts, and register whatever you need to for warranties. (Just a good habit to develope anyway) The reciepts will save your ass if the bike gets stolen, too.

If the grips or saddle are uncomfortable, even a little, you should deal with that.

I like having a minimal stock pile of spares around...a derailleur hanger, a chain, at least 1 new(ish) tire, and a couple of sets of brake pads. All those things are cheaper if you buy them before you need them.

Some guys think I'm off my rocker on this, but if I end up with machine built wheels, I like to have them re-tensioned by an actual wheel builder. I'm convinced the wheels ride better and are more durable when I spend the money up front.

After that, save what you can for when your stuff breaks down.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

since 4/10/2009
    Naiolin and Hesitationpoint have good points. Take the time to identify functional weaknesses on what you have before upgrading just for the sake of upgrading. I know you run on a budget, and this is absolutely the most budget-conscious way of approaching it. You don't have to crash or break something to identify a limitation you'd like to address. If you haven't identified any weaknesses on your own within 100mi, then continue riding until you note something. Identify and describe that limitation so you can figure out exactly what will address it.

Otherwise, you will just dive down into the pit of neverending "upgrades" that may or may not actually address your issues.