Sugar Free February- Mtbr.com
    The Voice of Reason

Sugar Free February

dry january was pretty easy. going sugar free for a month will not be. fortunately february is a short month.
    I'm never gonna be a Rock Star

mtbr member
    Bro, Valentines Day??????

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Megashnauzer View Post
    dry january was pretty easy. going sugar free for a month will not be. fortunately february is a short month.
    Damn...that'd never happen in my house.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

The Voice of Reason
    candy is dandy but liquor is quicker? jk

mtbr member
    I've been sugar free for a couple of years. One month would be a breeze. Valentine's day is just a hallmark holiday. Just don't tell my wife that.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    What qualifies as sugar free for the purposes of this thread?
    Do the math.

The Voice of Reason
    i'm going with the 'no added sugar' thing. so fruit is ok. honey is in a gray area. of course i'm just making this up as i go.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    I'd love to do this, but am not sure what it'd entail and if I'd even be able to. Where do you draw the line? No ice cream? Lemonade? Cookies? Ketchup? (If I can't have ketchup then I'm out.)

mtbr member
    Start with eliminating high fructose corn syrup. That shit is on everything. Simply cutting that out is a big step. I use a stevia-sweetened ketchup. Tastes pretty good.

9 lives
    I'm in.

Good luck / stay strong
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    I'm in.

Good luck / stay strong
    How is that possible when you have Butter Tarts to deal with up there?!?
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Since I don't drink alcohol, January's no drinking was easy. But I did do the entirety of last month without sugar/honey/stevia/sweeteners . That was tough! Haha!

Bikes in jeans
    I did this a few years ago with my daughter for a voluntary experiment, they had the choice of going vegan for 30 days or eliminating all added sugar for 30 days, she chose the latter.

It is surprisingly difficult, almost everything you buy in a store has added sugar in it, all processed food is out IME. I think we did finally find some sour dough bread without added sugar, but virtually everything you don't make from scratch is out.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Yeah. Of course there's sugar is lots of things, fruits, vegetables, juices, grains, beans, milk/cheese/yogurt (lactose),beer and wine ... even a tiny amount in eggs. Prolly just don't eat stuff where it's on the list of ingredients, which as jestep points out, can be difficult to find.

Of course there's nothing magic about the sugar in fruit. It's still sugar, there's lots of it, and it's often very high in fructose if you have a thing about that.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    I've been in for the last 4 years.... So I am in.
    Well to be precise. I am refined surgar free. i'm still eating fruit.

9 lives
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    How is that possible when you have Butter Tarts to deal with up there?!?
    This will be a tough challenge. I like donuts too Vegan of course
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Rod
    mtbr member
    I'm in.

Good luck / stay strong
    I'm in too.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I am going to give it a try too. I like testing my will power from time to time and this will be a real test.

mtbr member
    Here's a new item on the subject:

https://trainright.com/reduce-sugar-...h-performance/
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    A good read. My experience matches this article. What i can add to this is that my indurance improved signifcantly. I went from struggling to keep up in the middle of the pack of my group of riders to at the front of the pack and pushing the pace. My descending speed increased. I was less tired at the top of the 1hr climb and have energy to burn on the way down.

Other advantages were mental sharpness. One thing I wasnt expecting at all. My mind is now sharp, anxiety is gone and I have increased performance in all facets of my life.

Life is so good without refined sugar I cannot go back.

After a couple of months your pallet changes to recalibrate to the new norm without horendous amounts of sugar. Foods that as a sugar junky you thought was bland are now tasty. High sugar foods that you enjoyed before now just feel sickly sweet.

Oh and i lost 10kg of weight.....

Its well worth the lifestyle change. Dont just blaze a month trial. If you revert back to normal afterward then you have not made a change that will improve your life.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by TMWTP View Post
    Start with eliminating high fructose corn syrup.
    I have been pretty much doing that for some time now. If I'm gonna have sugar, it's gonna be REAL sugar.
    Sadly, Mountain Dew Throwback seems to have been discontinued. MexiCoke to the rescue.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Since starting this challenge I have been doing some research on sugar and one thing that I have found is that while HFCS may be the bad boy of sweeteners, "real" sugar is still not good for us. Especially in the quantities that we North Americans consume.

Our bodies do just fine with the natural sugars that are in the natural foods we eat. All the added sugars in our refined foods are just empty calories that lead to all kinds of health issues.

I had the same mind set as andytiedye in that I only drank soft drinks with sugar, no diet sodas for me. A number of years ago I had made the decision to cut pop out of my diet. One of the best decisions I have made. Excess pounds disappeared, headaches became virtually non existent and best of all, one less addiction.

Now I need to work on reducing my cookie/chocolate intake. This sugar free month will work great to reset my nutritional priorities.

One day down, 28 to go. Damn leap year.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by plummet View Post
    A good read. My experience matches this article. What i can add to this is that my indurance improved signifcantly. I went from struggling to keep up in the middle of the pack of my group of riders to at the front of the pack and pushing the pace. My descending speed increased. I was less tired at the top of the 1hr climb and have energy to burn on the way down.

Other advantages were mental sharpness. One thing I wasnt expecting at all. My mind is now sharp, anxiety is gone and I have increased performance in all facets of my life.

Life is so good without refined sugar I cannot go back.

After a couple of months your pallet changes to recalibrate to the new norm without horendous amounts of sugar. Foods that as a sugar junky you thought was bland are now tasty. High sugar foods that you enjoyed before now just feel sickly sweet.

Oh and i lost 10kg of weight.....

Its well worth the lifestyle change. Dont just blaze a month trial. If you revert back to normal afterward then you have not made a change that will improve your life.
    Great post.

The Voice of Reason
    3 days in and i've failed all 3 days. two gummy bears saturday, pb&j on a ride sunday and pb&j for breakfast this morning.

I have Flat Pedal shame.
    I started keto after the new year in an effort to cut all sugar and carbs out. I am happy to say that I feel better, sleep better, have way more energy, and as of 2 minutes ago - I am down 22 lbs. It is like when I quit cigarettes back in the day... it sucked for about 3 days, but I have never regretted quitting in the 20 years since.
    We don't ride to add days to our life, we ride to add life to the days we have left here.

Keep on Rockin...
    Maple syrup?

Does that count? It's made everywhere all around me. I'm surrounded by it. I love it and get it real cheap and buy it by the gallon. Use it by the gallon too. The dark, robust stuff is perfect in coffee.

That said i eat virtually nothing else processed. I can't.

mtbr member
    Lots of sugar in maple syrup.

mtbr member
    Lots of sugar in maple syrup.

Not a bad option as a sweetener, though.

mtbr member
    Not if the goal is to eliminate sugar.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    I did it a year ago.
    Best thing Iíve ever done.
    There is quite a learning curve though.
    High fructose corn syrup is pervasive.
    They put that shit in everything.......
    Donít trust any label but the part containing the actual ingredients.
    I eat lots of Oikos Plain No Fat Yogurt.
    Lots of Lime water and tea.
    Lots of nuts, coconut, seeds.
    Cut out bacon and sausage a couple of months ago.
    Now Iím working on salt.
    Thatís harder than sugar for me.
    Funny thing is, after cutting way back the craving for sugar disappeared.
    I still have something with sugar in it now and again but no more than a couple times a month or so.
    Hard to believe what my sugar intake was a couple of years ago when I started reading labels.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Maple syrup?

Does that count?
    You can make your own rules up to suit your lifestyle.

For me maple syrup and honey officially past the "refined sugar" test but they fail my personal test in the fact that they are pretty much all single sugars.

Single sugars that are not linked to fibers (like fruit) are what spikes your blood sugar and associated insulin response.

The other point worth noting is this. If you remove single sugars you palate recalibrates to the new taste sensations. Then you do not feel like or want or crave the snacks like cakes, chocolate, buscuits etc. They become sickly sweet and horrible.

But if at low calorie sweetener and say continue to eat sweet stuff that is artificially sweet then your taste buds wont recalibrate and you will still crave the sweet stuff.

So.... also kill the Coke zeros's ect and sweet tasting low calorie snacks.

Again. Work a system that suits your lifestyle. Everyone is different and what works for me might not work for you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Eat meat and drink unsweetened tea and coffee

I have Flat Pedal shame.
    You can make your own rules up to suit your lifestyle.

The other point worth noting is this. If you remove single sugars you palate recalibrates to the new taste sensations. Then you do not feel like or want or crave the snacks like cakes, chocolate, buscuits etc. They become sickly sweet and horrible.
    I had a little mini chocolate M&M pack show up on my desk yesterday. I looked it up and 10 M&M's were like 5g of carbs, so I wanted to try and see what I've been missing this last month. I made it to like 5 before I started feeling sick to my stomach... totally not worth it.
    We don't ride to add days to our life, we ride to add life to the days we have left here.

Evolutionsverlierer
    I am doing no added sugar, with some very few exceptions, for about 9 month now and besides a bit of craving in the beginning I got used to it pretty quickly.
    What helped me was that I do not have a big sweet tooth anyway
    and even more so to realize how bad sugar is actually for you.

Lost about 25lbs just doing that and carrots taste almost like candy right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Avid is spelled wrong, there should be an 'O' in there.

mtbr member
    I'm not looking forward to 'Mass-ter-Ba-tion Free March'.

CEO Product Failure
    With 2 exceptions in the last week (superbowl sunday and my b-day-both in the past week) I have been sugar free since Jan 1st. Was alcohol free all of January as well. A sugar free diet really isn't all that challenging so long as you meal prep. Most of my diets fail because I don't have food immediately available when I'm hangry. Meal prepping goes a long way to a successful diet as does having a spouse who's on the plan with you.

Also, TraderJoe's. I have come to love that store. Lots of options which will meet your diet requirements and expand your palate/sense of taste.

I am vigilant about eating fruits--especially dried fruits and nuts. They have a lot of calories, carbs, and sugars. Still a handful here-and-there throughout the week is great--as is homemade beef/pork jerky.

Lots of options.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    This would certainly be a bad time for me to give up either sugar or alcohol, as I am in the place that makes the best rum in the world right now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    I'm not looking forward to 'Mass-ter-Ba-tion Free March'.
    You could always switch it up for mastimania March.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by andytiedye View Post
    This would certainly be a bad time for me to give up either sugar or alcohol, as I am in the place that makes the best rum in the world right now.
    I went to october fest in germany one year,,,, didnt drink a drop... not have I for 24 years. Those German bear wenches were impressive tho!

mtbr member
    ...For me maple syrup and honey officially past the "refined sugar" test but they fail my personal test in the fact that they are pretty much all single sugars...
    Aren't they all actually multiple sugars, mainly mixtures of glucose and fructose? The sugar in honey, for example, is 57% fructose and 43% glucose, compared to the common HFC55 which is 55% and 45%.
    Do the math.

Rod
    mtbr member
    I failed miserably at this challenge.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Now that we have passed the one week mark of this challenge it is a good time to see how everyone is doing.

Personally I am doing pretty good. I am also only avoiding foods with added sugar. I wasn't really looking to do a complete sugar detox so I am sure that that makes it much easier.

Even though it is eye opening seeing how many foods have added sugar under one name or another, there are still a lot of options. I am getting used to not having toast with my eggs, no sandwiches for lunch and no potatoes for supper. Lots of salads, fruit, chicken and fish.

I very rarely have a ginger ale and never a dark soda so that has not been a problem eliminating. My biggest vice was chocolate although I do prefer dark chocolate so not quite as bad. Cookies were an everyday treat and surprisingly I haven't craved either chocolate or cookies so far.

One thing I do plan to continue doing after the challenge is over is eat more whole foods and a lot less processed foods. Processed foods may be tasty and convenient but they sure aren't good for us.

I would like to thank Megashnauzer for starting this challenge as it gave me a kick in the ass to make some dietary changes that were long overdue.

I see Rod hasn't been successful but how is everyone else making out?

9 lives
    I passed on my caturday vegan donut. I enjoy my fresh fruit even more (strawberry, blueberries, raspberry, etc) as my evening sweet treat. I do miss that donut though
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    You could always switch it up for mastimania March.
    There we go...

mtbr member
    Dry January, sugar-free February...can we do cigar-free March, no-sex April and bike-free May?

That way I can find something to be miserable about for five straight months! Life has been too good lately!
    AreBee

High Desert MTBer
    I went to october fest in germany one year,,,, didnt drink a drop... not have I for 24 years. Those German bear wenches were impressive tho!
    What in god's name is a "bear wench"? Some sort of furry teutonic sweetmeat? That bites back?
    It's all Here. Now.

High Desert MTBer
    I passed on my caturday vegan donut. I enjoy my fresh fruit even more (strawberry, blueberries, raspberry, etc) as my evening sweet treat. I do miss that donut though
    Fruit is definitely growing on me too... I don't mean the stuff that all you prurients are thinking, but blueberries, pineapple, melon etc... I don't do bananas much any more, but the rest is very satisfying
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Thustlewhumber View Post
    I started keto after the new year in an effort to cut all sugar and carbs out. I am happy to say that I feel better, sleep better, have way more energy, and as of 2 minutes ago - I am down 22 lbs. It is like when I quit cigarettes back in the day... it sucked for about 3 days, but I have never regretted quitting in the 20 years since.
    Cool. Please report back after two years on keto.

mtbr member
    I'm 2 years in on keto. What do you want to know? Down 20+ lbs, no joint pain, improved mental clarity and sleep, even energy throughout long rides, no bonking.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm 2 years in on keto. What do you want to know? Down 20+ lbs, no joint pain, improved mental clarity and sleep, even energy throughout long rides, no bonking.

There always seems to be a honeymoon period with these extreme diets but long term compliance is very low. Do you race or at least ride hard? How do you do with repeated anaerobic efforts?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodninja View Post
    There always seems to be a honeymoon period with these extreme diets but long term compliance is very low. Do you race or at least ride hard? How do you do with repeated anaerobic efforts?
    Don't race, ride hard at altitude frequently (CO). Anaerobic max power does take a hit since ketones are not kept in the muscle the way glycogen is. The flip side is that recovery is better, and access to stored calories is easier. Oxidative stress is less since the byproducts of combustion are less harmful, and requires less cleanup afterwards.

As for sticking with the diet, I've found keto to be far easier to be consistent, and easier to pick back up. In fact, when I eat carbs around the holidays, I feel like crap. After a week back on keto, things improve greatly.

Everything I tried previously never got me below 200 lbs, regardless of how strict the diet. Keto got me down below 185 (from 225). Lightest I've been in 30 years.

Once I get back below 185 (currently 195), my plan is to incorporate some complex carbs pre-workout to improve power, but I'll never go back to simple carbs. Keeping insulin low is the goal.

One thing people seem to ignore is that your liver produces plenty of carbs for your brain, and other bodily functions.

mtbr member
    Here is a book I recommend for anyone looking for more info on athletics and low carb. One of the authors also happens to be a cyclist.

https://www.artandscienceoflowcarb.c...e-performance/

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Don't race, ride hard at altitude frequently (CO). Anaerobic max power does take a hit since ketones are not kept in the muscle the way glycogen is. The flip side is that recovery is better, and access to stored calories is easier. Oxidative stress is less since the byproducts of combustion are less harmful, and requires less cleanup afterwards.

As for sticking with the diet, I've found keto to be far easier to be consistent, and easier to pick back up. In fact, when I eat carbs around the holidays, I feel like crap. After a week back on keto, things improve greatly.

Everything I tried previously never got me below 200 lbs, regardless of how strict the diet. Keto got me down below 185 (from 225). Lightest I've been in 30 years.

Once I get back below 185 (currently 195), my plan is to incorporate some complex carbs pre-workout to improve power, but I'll never go back to simple carbs. Keeping insulin low is the goal.

One thing people seem to ignore is that your liver produces plenty of carbs for your brain, and other bodily functions.

Congrats on your weight loss and I hope you can reach your next goal.

The Voice of Reason
    half way through the sugar free february. while i've failed most days, i've actually reduced my sugar intake quite a bit. i eat yogurt most evenings and it's got sugar in it. last night was chocolate covered strawberries. this morning was pb&j with home made strawberry jam. the good thing is the cravings have diminished quite a bit. and i feel better. my stomach doesn't hurt as much. my riding seems to have gotten better but i also got a new bike so it might just be 'new bike legs'. overall i'm enjoying it and i hope to get better at it. thanks for joining! it's great to see others trying it and having some success.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Megashnauzer View Post
    half way through the sugar free february. while i've failed most days, i've actually reduced my sugar intake quite a bit. i eat yogurt most evenings and it's got sugar in it. last night was chocolate covered strawberries. this morning was pb&j with home made strawberry jam. the good thing is the cravings have diminished quite a bit. and i feel better. my stomach doesn't hurt as much. my riding seems to have gotten better but i also got a new bike so it might just be 'new bike legs'. overall i'm enjoying it and i hope to get better at it. thanks for joining! it's great to see others trying it and having some success.
    If you continue eating refined sugars you will conitnue with haveing sweet cravings and the cycle will continue.

My suggesting is to kill those refined sugars and focus on replacing them with sugar free and natural sugar offerings.

Take that same yogurt snack and buy sugar free plain yogurt like greek yogurt and then add some fruit to it to make it sweeter. It will taste nicer and you wont get the sugar high/low insulin response associated with the refined sugar.

mtbr member
    Can't say I've ever experienced a "sugar craving". I have had what I'd sum up as a calorie craving. They usually follow the next day or 2 after a hard a workout and almost always in the winter vs summer. Then my body wants fat and protein. Infact my appetite in the summer is significantly less than winter. Especially if it's it hot out and I'm doing a lot of aerobic oriented stuff outside.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Evolutionsverlierer
    The only yogurt I buy is whole milk plain greek and I add things as needed if I use it in a cereal but most of the time it ends up in a smoothie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Avid is spelled wrong, there should be an 'O' in there.

9 lives
    We survived Valentine's Day...now to resist the temptation of half price chocolate Oh and Happy Caturday

Sugar Free February-85027137_10215057505822695_644905707614765056_n.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Can't say I've ever experienced a "sugar craving". I have had what I'd sum up as a calorie craving. They usually follow the next day or 2 after a hard a workout and almost always in the winter vs summer. Then my body wants fat and protein. Infact my appetite in the summer is significantly less than winter. Especially if it's it hot out and I'm doing a lot of aerobic oriented stuff outside.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    When you have a depenance to high sugar stuff you don't think you are having a craving you are simply hungry and possibly irritable. You are habituated to eating that level of food an sugar, So it presents its self as requiring more food so you have a snack.

As an example i thought i needed a mid morning and after noon snack to get me between breakfast and lunch. I thought that was standard. I'm a fit person, I need that snack to get me through to lunch. I then ditched the refined sugar and found that i could go hours without the snacks. It was a revalation to me. What I thought was standard food intake was sugar induced cravings.......

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Two weeks in and still sticking to it. I feel good and I plan on sticking fairly close to the no added sugar foods once the month is over.

Along with feeling good I am also down 8.5 pounds since the start of this challenge. That is very motivating and a bit surprising. I knew that I would lose weight but I didn't anticipate that it would fall off that fast.

I would say that I haven't really had a strong craving for sweets this past week so that is encouraging. Looking beyond this month the trick will be to maintain the self discipline to not allow myself to drift back into old habits.