stupid Bicycle Rack Question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2006

stupid Bicycle Rack Question

Ok, perhaps it's a stupid question, but I never really thought or looked into it. Can you put a REAR and FRONT Rack on a bike that has Disc Brakes and a Suspension?

I know they are ugly and I shouldn't ride with those, but I am going on a trip where I have to bring my clothes, tent food etc... so no choice.

Anyone ever installed Racks in that situation?

mtbr member
    like maybe you should rent a mule. or you could pull one of those little trailers behind your bike.

I thought about one of these for a century ride.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=2325

It would be enough to carry water and food, some lightweight supplies. I don't plan on a tent, sleeping bag and a change of clothes. Keep in mind if you have a carbon seat post, thismight not be a good idea. The reason I am looking at a model like this is for rear suspension travel.
    What am I going to do with forty subscriptions to Vibe?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    yeah I thougth about those little things you pull, but I'm not sure I can put that on a plane. I'm going to cycle in iceland for a month. I need a lot of stuff to carry around with me.

and that little seat thing won't do it I think, too fragile

Adobo Lover
    My dad was stationed in Iceland for 3 years when I was 10. I remember it being so beautiful and peaceful. Sweater weather during the summer, blizzards and 10 foot snowdrifts during the winter. Enjoy!!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    How about a BOB trailer? If you want to mount racks and carry a lot of stuff experience taught me that you need to adjust your bike to it, strong(er) wheels for example. You can easily fly with a BOB trailer (I did), just remove the wheel and swingarm, pack them in the bag with the rest of your stuff and it's just a big, framed bag. If you really want racks how about these: http://www.oldmanmountain.com/. They make 'em for almost all types of bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by George2
    How about a BOB trailer? If you want to mount racks and carry a lot of stuff experience taught me that you need to adjust your bike to it, strong(er) wheels for example. You can easily fly with a BOB trailer (I did), just remove the wheel and swingarm, pack them in the bag with the rest of your stuff and it's just a big, framed bag. If you really want racks how about these: http://www.oldmanmountain.com/. They make 'em for almost all types of bikes.

I thought about the BOB trailer. I dont know what i will get now. But im glad you flew with one. thx a lot. I'll look for it.

95Stumpy: you are very lucky to have been to iceland, it has been a little dream for me to go there. Now i saved up some money so i will go this summer to enjoy the country with my bike! I just have to get everything organized. ill come and post pictures of the trip when I get back :-)

Members who have read this thread: 0