Stuck eggbeater- Mtbr.com

Thread: Stuck eggbeater

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Stuck eggbeater

So i go to take my egg beaters off my bike today and apparently they weren't greased before they were installed so one of them in stuck on the cranks. I brought it to a lbs because I could get enough leverage to get it off. Turns out they couldn't get it off and rounded the allen key fitting. Any body have any creative ideas on how to get this off without ruining the pedal? These are the older eggbeaters that dont have the fitting for a pedal wrench.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kumes12688 View Post
    So i go to take my egg beaters off my bike today and apparently they weren't greased before they were installed so one of them in stuck on the cranks. I brought it to a lbs because I could get enough leverage to get it off. Turns out they couldn't get it off and rounded the allen key fitting. Any body have any creative ideas on how to get this off without ruining the pedal? These are the older eggbeaters that dont have the fitting for a pedal wrench.
    If they rounded out the allen key fitting, the pedal is already ruined I'm afraid. When I had this problem, I took the cage off the spindle and used a pipe wrench on the spindle to remove it. It worked but chewed up the spindle a bit. I tried vice grips first but they kept slipping.

Rocket Boy
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    If they rounded out the allen key fitting, the pedal is already ruined I'm afraid. When I had this problem, I took the cage off the spindle and used a pipe wrench on the spindle to remove it. It worked but chewed up the spindle a bit. I tried vice grips first but they kept slipping.
    I agree. They make nice small 8" pipe wrenches too:

Hi.
    I had the exact same problem with eggbeaters and Ti spindles on a bike I purchased off craigslist. The Ti spindle seized to the crank, making it very difficult to remove.

I hammered a hex bit into the rounded-off part of the spindle, and used a wrench on the bit to remove the pedal. The spindles will need to be replaced...what a waste of money!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    What a pain in the a**. I don't care if I ruin the pedal anymore. I have replacements and I just want to get this thing off. Been soaking it with pb blaster all day and gonna throw a pipe wrench or vise grips on it later hoping it will budge. If not them im gonna try to apply some heat tomorrow and see if that will help.I'll try hammering a hex bit into it as well.

Hi.
    If you have a Dremel tool or a file, you can file some flat surfaces onto the spindle, making removal via wrench a whole lot easier.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yup filed down either side today and put a wrench then a vise grips on it. Cant seem to get enough leverage tho

Hi.
    Try turning it while someone else hits the spindle from behind. I've noticed that when things are stuck, applying pressure and a sharp force from hitting it will often un-stick them.

Big Mac
    Use a cheater bar.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Well my roomate got it off!! Turns out all it took was hourly soaking of pb blaster over the course of the day and he was able to get it off with a vise grips. I'll be sure to grease the next set of pedals haha