Street MTB, yo!- Mtbr.com

Thread: Street MTB, yo!

mtbr member
    If I had that bike I would be tooling around every chance I got no matter dirt or street.
    "Never mistake motion for action."

"If I can bicycle, I bicycle."

i call it a kaiser blade
    May 2008

Street MTB, yo!

On the way home on my commuter, I keep seeing a growing trend here in Florida.

Suburban tools riding around the neighborhood on spotless, very expensive, dual suspension XC and AM bikes.

I have nothing to believe that this is because they are doing mechanical tweaks and suspension adjustments in-between grueling weekend trail runs on those spotless, scratch-free bikes.

Your money is your money, but why the hell would anyone spend 3k on a GF/Trek Rumblefish and tool around on pavement?
    how durable a bike or component is usually has a lot to do with how heavy and ugly it is.

meow meow
    simple. you are going through the suburbs of florida.

mtbr member
    It should be illegal to sell full suspension bikes on a sandbar.

I call it a kaiser blade too. hmmm hmmm.

mtbr member
    Damn it I am a suburban tool (ST). I have commuted om my 2012 fs. If I ride by quick enough then you may not see the scratches. I also bs in the parking lot after a ride with friends so now I am a poser too. I need to know what one is worse and I will claim that one. Glad I don't ride a jeep bike or I may be shot on the spot.

DaFaJa
    Quote Originally Posted by 28/29 WIT View Post
    Damn it I am a suburban tool (ST). I have commuted om my 2012 fs. If I ride by quick enough then you may not see the scratches. I also bs in the parking lot after a ride with friends so now I am a poser too. I need to know what one is worse and I will claim that one. Glad I don't ride a jeep bike or I may be shot on the spot.
    Funny I have been using mine to both as well, on the weekends I have been riding dirt, weekdays I ride in the city....
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 Carbon /Sid W/C XX / Fox CTD RP / xx1 / xo type2 / Stans Flows
    Tampa FL USA

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    Seriously!?!? Why don't you just mind your own fvcking business?!?! Better yet, maybe grow a sack and talk to them. I bet you'd probably find out that you're just being a judgemental idiot and probably meet some cool people in the process.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    riding big suspension bikes in the city is fun as hell, more jumping down large sets of stairs

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    dont hate, appreciated...

mtbr member
    No different than long travel bikes on buff, flowy singletrack.

AZ
    banned
    Their on bikes, its a start.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I ride in the street quite a bit, I am a beginner and this serves as a great way for me to get better with drops(curbsides) and overall balance(trackstands, hops, turns, etc.) Then I go out to the trails with more confidence and more speed.

i call it a kaiser blade
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by teamhaymaker View Post
    riding big suspension bikes in the city is fun as hell, more jumping down large sets of stairs
    ain't no stairs. there's no building taller than one story for miles.

it's florida. big, dumb, flat, and hot.
    how durable a bike or component is usually has a lot to do with how heavy and ugly it is.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    When I think of Florida I think of retirement homes, is that why theres no stairs?

Your Best Friend
    When I lived in Seattle in the late '90's we'd go "urban mountain biking" late at night. We had whole routes and even race courses. These included stairs, fountains, loading docks and back alleys. It made me a better rider. I haven't had that level of skill in quite a while. Definitely an XC dork now. Some of the races we'd even do naked just to see if we could out run the cops.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I sometimes ride my INTENSE SS to work. I get funny looks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnoobadam View Post
    Seriously!?!? Why don't you just mind your own fvcking business?!?! Better yet, maybe grow a sack and talk to them. I bet you'd probably find out that you're just being a judgemental idiot and probably meet some cool people in the process.
    Nah he will just find that most people like to pretend.

Im with the Op on this.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    When I lived in Seattle in the late '90's we'd go "urban mountain biking" late at night. We had whole routes and even race courses. These included stairs, fountains, loading docks and back alleys. It made me a better rider. I haven't had that level of skill in quite a while. Definitely an XC dork now. Some of the races we'd even do naked just to see if we could out run the cops.
    Urban courses are a ton of fun.
    I have some places out here I love to ride that are urban. Going down the escartment along busy roads and hitting stairs and drop offs is ridiculously fun. And you're right about it making you a beter rider. The same trail over and over again can get boring

I just need better tires for it because its killing my trail tires

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I tend to believe that most real mountain bikes are bought by people with good intentions, but not a good idea of what mountain biking is or if they would like it. I think that is the reason for so many overly expensive path bikes.

U sayin' Bolt ?
    Sounds like the stuff of dream: sweet mtn bikes everywhere you look !

barely a mtbr
    I fail to see the problem. They're keeping the high end of the industry going by buying the more expensive stuff (usually where the profit $$$ are if it's like most other industry), and if they're having fun, why should it affect anyone else?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Better/Safer than the opposite, road bike down a mountain lol

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Oh an its the same thing with rich guys commuting in spotless Porches not a cheap one either they have to have the 911 Carrera S or GT3 or Turbo. I just hope they have seen a track at least once.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jk13 View Post
    I fail to see the problem. They're keeping the high end of the industry going by buying the more expensive stuff (usually where the profit $$$ are if it's like most other industry), and if they're having fun, why should it affect anyone else?
    Exactly. Adam Carolla says, "If it doesn't make you happy or if it doesn't make you money, it's not worth the effort."

If judging what people do with their own, hard earned money, I guess that's your thing.

B.Ike
    a lot of people have to pay retail so I can get a kickass deal on clearance this winter.

mtbr member
    Whatever, I ride my enduro to work a couple times a month just because I love that freaking thing. I hit stairs and drops and otherwise just ride the **** out of it, if you see me sometime come up and ask me why I'm riding a fs on the streets of sf and I'll let you know
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    I drive my spotless 4x4 on the street. Am I a poser?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    Where do I start with you. I don't even have the energy to tell you what a poser tool (Good huh) you are. Gotta go scratch up my bike so I will be accepted with the non poser types.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 28/29 WIT View Post
    Where do I start with you. I don't even have the energy to tell you what a poser tool (Good huh) you are. Gotta go scratch up my bike so I will be accepted with the non poser types.
    Chill out bro. I'll take it out this weekend, just for you. But I'm not putting scratches on it and it's getting washed when I get back.

"2 Wycked"
    One time I killed a guy for riding a FS bike on pavement. True story.
    Ahhhh...Ahhhh....it's the hammy, it's the hammy!!

Call me Phred
    Beautiful 4x4!
    When I had one of these
    It came home looking a lot like this at least once a month. I sometimes had to use a shovel to clean the driveway after washing it.

We'd smoke pot at the bottom of a humongous steep hill something like 8 stories high contemplating, "should we or shouldn't we?" There were tracks up it so someone else was definitely doing it. Then I'd start her up and go for it. It would've been disastrous if we had lost traction and tumbled down. Took that hill 7 or 8 times; what a rush! Those were the days!

So yeah, show us some pics of that thing dirty, or you're definitely a poser!

barely a mtbr
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy03 View Post
    That escalated quickly.

You should probably lay low for a while.

mtbr member
    Did you run him over?

"2 Wycked"

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

Quote Originally Posted by jk13 View Post
    That escalated quickly.

You should probably lay low for a while.
    Oh, yeah. I'm a firm believer in "the right tool for the job" philosophy. You wanna ride on the road?? Then get a road bike!!!

"2 Wycked"
    Did you run him over?
    Nope, I shot him....I left his brains on the pavement and his thoughts in the grass.

barely a mtbr
    Nope, I shot him....I left his brains on the pavement and his thoughts in the grass.
    It sounded to me like you may have killed him with a trident.......

mtbr member
    Oh, yeah. I'm a firm believer in "the right tool for the job" philosophy. You wanna ride on the road?? Then get a road bike!!!
    What if you have to ride on the road to get to the dirt? And, where did this killing take place?

"2 Wycked"
    What if you have to ride on the road to get to the dirt? And, where did this killing take place?

I'm just messing around. I really don't care what other people do as long as it doesn't affect me. If you wanna ride a triathlon bike on the trails, that's perfectly fine with me. If you wanna ride a FS bike on pavement, that's fine with me too.

mtbr member
    I'm just messing around. I really don't care what other people do as long as it doesn't affect me. If you wanna ride a triathlon bike on the trails, that's perfectly fine with me. If you wanna ride a FS bike on pavement, that's fine with me too.
    That's good. But the Miami police is calling me and asking what I know about this heinous killing. I know nothing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocop View Post
    no different than long travel bikes on buff, flowy singletrack.
    +1

Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    hahaha someone in this thread neg repped me stating "not as clueless as you think..."
    Im confused.....when in my posts did I indicate someone was clueless. The rep system is hilarious. HAHA

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Sometimes after I have washed my FS bike I will
    ride it on the street to get to my trails.

Best, John

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Im going street riding tonight.
    Saw a nice gap with a drop between parking lots of a warehouse and want to try it.
    (for the record I dont have a park / street bike, I'll be rocking my trail wheels still)

No Stranger to danger....
    What sort of pure bred tool worries about what bikes guys are ridin round in the city on ? ive got a giant reign that i ride around in the bush on the weekends and during the week i razz around on it in the heart of sydney city where i live, im not gonna leave it at home to gather dust cause im worried about what some dude will think about me ridin a full suss around the city, f**k me, what a concept.....
    Its a great bike for ridin stairs n takin on the city landscape and ill get every bit of fun outa a bike that cost me 3k no matter where the location is, i dont own a road bike, n even if i did, ridin round the city n not being able to ride down stairs,hop up gutters, jump of flower beds n landscapes is pretty damn un- appealing to me.....
    just get on it n ride it i say, n get some good value outa the money you spend on a decent bike, n if your havin fun, what the hell else matters..........cheers

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by eat_dirt View Post

You obviously aint near lakeland or tampa FL

2011 Lakeland Urban MTB Race - YouTube

CoolStoryBro!
    Who cares what others do? Theres gotta be something more important to worry about. lol

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    i really don't care what other people do.. wallmart bike on the track, expensive fs on the road... whatever. i can honestly say that whatever these people do, it has absolutely no impact on me in any way. and it shouldn't. if you care, find something that actually impacts your life to care about. if you have somehow felt an actual emotion due to somebody's actions that have no impact on them, or anybody around them, then you obviously need some sort of help, because its irrational. the only feeling that could make any sense is jealousy. jealousy manifests itself as anger. so it angers you. that's the only rational explanation.

i clean my bike quite often, probably after every ride where there's wet dirt, because my bike is stored in my living room. so if i'm riding to the trail, it's most likely sparkling clean. doesn't mean it doesn't get dirty, its just that i don't want a muddy heap sitting behind my couch.

i had a bronco for a long time, lifted to ****, went offroading all the time... also cleaned it a lot. i mean, i bought it with 45k miles, it was a 96, white on white, and i was 17. i got a really good deal on it, but it was spotless. i saw no reason to lower the value by not taking care of it, while having fun with it. i actually sold it with 350k miles more on it, for 2k more than i paid. so again, i'm sure that while i was driving to where i used to go offroading with my friends, people would call me a poser because it was clean, but then they'd respect me on the way home, and then they'd call me a poser again after i hit the self wash. thats just how it is i guess....

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I ride my S-Works FSR on the road all the time in between going up the Mountain which I also do at least once per week. Just because it's clean and expensive does not mean that person does not ride off road often. I only have one type of bike (both MTB), and would rather ride around home on the road than not at all. That said, most of my miles are off roads.
    Last edited by trmn8er; 06-12-2012 at 11:40 PM.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I did a organized century on Saturday. There was a guy on an Epic doing it. Also, some of the usual Fred Sleds. But I was a little surprised to see a high-end mountain bike out there.

In the video, I didn't see anything in the urban crit that I couldn't do on a road bike. Do they usually incorporate stair sets and some technical moves?

I while ago, I did the "MTB" leg in a long multisport relay race. They had to specifically require people to do it on mountain bikes or they'd show up on 'cross or even time trial rigs - that's how technical they'd managed to make this weird course they stitched together in the 'burbs. I think a 'cross bike would have been awesome for it.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Trail Connoisseur
    I have to ride about 10 miles on through town to get to the trails near here and sometimes I get weird looks from carloads of people with bikes on the back. Usually, I get to the trail head and pass them.

Seriously, I get upset sometimes when I see the dude on the bike path with a $5K bike and I can tell he's never hit a rock with it... then I realize I'm just jealous because my bike isn't that nice. Maybe he'll sell it on craigslist and I can get a good deal.

i call it a kaiser blade
    May 2008
    Chill out bro. I'll take it out this weekend, just for you. But I'm not putting scratches on it and it's getting washed when I get back.

Are there still people who think an FJ Cruiser is the same thing as a Land Cruiser... I doubt it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Street MTB, yo!-land_cruiser_fj62-3.jpg  

I hate that name.
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    In the video, I didn't see anything in the urban crit that I couldn't do on a road bike. Do they usually incorporate stair sets and some technical moves?
    Yes, there are stairs, but nothing really technical. This year there was a guy on cx bike- he did crash at least once on one of stair sections.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

DaFaJa
    Quote Originally Posted by eat_dirt View Post

hater, oh yeah I can understand why, We can do everything out doors all year long
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 Carbon /Sid W/C XX / Fox CTD RP / xx1 / xo type2 / Stans Flows
    Tampa FL USA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Corbinworks View Post
    hater, oh yeah I can understand why, We can do everything out doors all year long
    Lighten up Francis. You ain't snowboarding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    If you don't know how to have fun on the street with your MTB, you're missing the point. I ride to the trails 99% of the time, and on my way, I make it a point of hitting every urban obstacle I can. Jump curbs, bunnyhop piles of leaves, kick pinecones (with the rear wheel), ride down stairs, ride up stairs, hit the little kicker jumps some kids built...

I grew up riding freestyle BMX, mostly street riding. It's, like, built into you when you leave the small bikes - you can't help but session everything.

If I lived in a strictly urban environment, I'd ride 26" street. See how much fun I have? And I'm a XC rider.

Members who have read this thread: 0