Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Stop stacking rocks, ya dirty hippies!

https://www.hcn.org/articles/a-call-...e-stones-alone

I didn't realize this was a big deal.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I was on a popular hiking trail in my area a couple of weeks ago and saw easily 10 stacks of rocks like this in random places. Seemed like every time you turned a corner there was one.

I didn't do it
    I've dismantled a few of these over the years. I just don't like the sight of 'em.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I am not saying everyone should put cairns up, like they seem to be doing, but I honestly don't pay THAT close attention when I am out trying to enjoy nature.

In this day and age, you are not exploring new territory, no matter how much you want to be. You are not exploring the edges of the map and filling in uncharted territory. Especially on a trail, who do you think built it? People, or civilization as you put it, have been there before, and will be there after you.

Now I want to keep nature, as protected as we can, but using nature in this way isn't hurting anyone. Now if you made cairns out of pop cans? Yeah that is a different story. Stacking a pile of rocks is like building a snow man or a sand castle.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    oh jeez, relax people.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The cairns are only useful above treeline to mark trail.

mtbr member
    There's a guy who builds a lot of trails near me who does this all the time. All rocks that get dug out during the trail building and maintenance process. I think it's more of an ego thing though. His name is Cairns after all.

meow meow
    the things people get worked up about...

Wanna Ride Bikes?
    Jun 2014
    "Let no man place one stone upon another". Tarl Cabot
    Hold my beer and watch this!

mtbr member
    Best comment to the article:

As an Environmental Psychologist from Boulder, Colorado I cannot disagree more with the author here. Rock stacking, and the placing of cairns has been going on for millennia, it is a part of the human condition. We stacked rocks before we could write, we used them for alerting others that water was close by, or where an encampment was. This is not some blind rock stacking, this is humans expressing their bliss in an all-too-human way. My main issue with the article is that it smells of elite hiking, of having a purpose above other people's purpose. The Forest is our original home, and as such we are innately drawn to it. I have seen inner city children who are exposed to the wilderness begin stacking rocks for no seeming reason at all other than it makes them feel happy and good.
    I think the author ought to breathe and look at the intrinsic beauty of a cairn and the human being who stacked it. And above all understand that cairns are temporary, they are not increasing erosion, there is no need to assert false pretences to try and get people to stop rock stacking, it's simply not going to happen. I urge the author to google Andy Goldsworthy and see that human/nature art is magnificent and not something to get angry about when hiking.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    IMO for hiking trails, cairns can be really handy. Some trails are close to invisible, on rock slabs, and such, and without the cairns the uninitiated can get lost. They are often very handy on stream crossings.

beater
    Pieces like this are what stop me every time I think about subscribing to HCN.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Damnn rockers
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

Unpredictable

Is it a cairn?

Whether to define the trail border, act as a corral, as part of the trail construction or just for fun, trail decorations are just part of the scene. It's not like the trail is a natural structure anyway. Like to see Mookie take the wall apart! Here ya go mate - hate on these

Stop stacking rocks, ya dirty hippies!-p1130111.jpgStop stacking rocks, ya dirty hippies!-p1100808.jpgStop stacking rocks, ya dirty hippies!-p1120778.jpgStop stacking rocks, ya dirty hippies!-p1120780.jpgStop stacking rocks, ya dirty hippies!-p1110160.jpgStop stacking rocks, ya dirty hippies!-p1080681-1.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stop stacking rocks, ya dirty hippies!-p1130115-1-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaBass_ View Post

As an Environmental Psychologist from Boulder, Colorado ...
    Funny, that was about all I needed to know from that comment!

But my kids do like to stack rocks, or at least try to add a rock to already existing cairns. Sometimes you have to find motivation to keep 'em going on a long'ish hike.

I also get a kick out of people hiking on a trail 10 miles from a million person city where you see another person every 5 minutes or so, acting like they're out being 'one with nature.' Between checking their phone when they get data service, of course!
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridnparadise View Post
    Whether to define the trail border, act as a corral, as part of the trail construction or just for fun, trail decorations are just part of the scene. It's not like the trail is a natural structure anyway. Like to see Mookie take the wall apart! Here ya go mate - hate on these

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1130111.jpg 
Views:	506 
Size:	236.4 KB 
ID:	1000727Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1100808.jpg 
Views:	468 
Size:	264.9 KB 
ID:	1000728Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1120778.jpg 
Views:	454 
Size:	173.6 KB 
ID:	1000729Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1120780.jpg 
Views:	473 
Size:	146.6 KB 
ID:	1000730Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1110160.jpg 
Views:	656 
Size:	261.2 KB 
ID:	1000731Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1080681 1.jpg 
Views:	420 
Size:	275.3 KB 
ID:	1000732
    That did it, I'm heading over there right after work!
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

Rabid Lana fan
    I've never had the desire to build a cairn, until I read that article.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

mtb'er

As an Environmental Psychologist from Boulder, Colorado I cannot disagree more with the author here. Rock stacking, and the placing of cairns has been going on for millennia, it is a part of the human condition. We stacked rocks before we could write, we used them for alerting others that water was close by, or where an encampment was. This is not some blind rock stacking, this is humans expressing their bliss in an all-too-human way. My main issue with the article is that it smells of elite hiking, of having a purpose above other people's purpose. The Forest is our original home, and as such we are innately drawn to it. I have seen inner city children who are exposed to the wilderness begin stacking rocks for no seeming reason at all other than it makes them feel happy and good.
    I think the author ought to breathe and look at the intrinsic beauty of a cairn and the human being who stacked it. And above all understand that cairns are temporary, they are not increasing erosion, there is no need to assert false pretences to try and get people to stop rock stacking, it's simply not going to happen. I urge the author to google Andy Goldsworthy and see that human/nature art is magnificent and not something to get angry about when hiking.
    Ironically enough, today's Bizarro comic:

Stop stacking rocks, ya dirty hippies!-bizarro-rocks.gif

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    I will keep stacking them up so that the people with nothing better to do can keep unstacking them. I consider it to be a good public service. I mean, those people could be out raping, murdering, stealing, robbing, dealing drugs, or abusing drugs, right?
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

Unpredictable
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    I will keep stacking them up so that the people with nothing better to do can keep unstacking them. I consider it to be a good public service. I mean, those people could be out raping, murdering, stealing, robbing, dealing drugs, or abusing drugs, right?
    Might be better if you ask Mookie, although I hear he's unavailable after work

gobsmacked Moderator
    I think it's an art form for some people but generally, why even get hot and bothered over it when people leave bags of dog poop along the trails?

Name:  125298792a7ab31b4a6bf79980bc856f.jpg
Views: 30205
Size:  11.0 KB

Stop stacking rocks, ya dirty hippies!-dsc08990a.jpg

damned rocks...

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    (...)why even get hot and bothered over it when people leave bags of dog poop along the trails?

This looks shopped
    I can tell from some of the pixels and from seeing quite a few shops in my time.

mtbr member
    Shopped or not, I know it's it's physically impossible to get stones stacked like that without epoxy. center of gravity, friction, balance. It's all lies (without glue and tape).

the bottomone is good though, and kudos to whoever can do one of those rock arches. That's cool.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    It's very annoying to me that people feel the need to change the natural landscape like this. Aside from biking and hiking trails the rest of the landscape should be left as natural as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    Pieces like this are what stop me every time I think about subscribing to HCN.
    Wow, that's really too bad. It's a great magazine. I've subscribed for 15 years now.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Hate that I missed that whole Harmonic Convergence and spiritual vortex thing. Cairns are pretty handy when there are no trail signs, but I haven't really given it much thought beyond that. Severe over-cairning has not been an issue here in Appalachia. I think we are just too far from the vortex.

I think it's an art form for some people but generally, why even get hot and bothered over it when people leave bags of dog poop along the trails?

Name:	DSC08990a.jpg 
Views:	1511 
Size:	194.7 KB 
ID:	1000925
    Now that's something to get steamed about.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Weird huh?
    'Stackies' are right up there with E-Bikes, and shuttling! Yeah, I'm mad and I'm not going to stand for Hippies stacking rocks on my trails! Hell no!

(rabble, rabble, rant..) It's my new cause (de' celebre') (I've raced in Yourip and I know theses things) Damn stackers, stacking their stackies....besides, they're interfering with my STRAVA times.

This site is for non-stacking, non-EBike riding non Hippies, that conform to all things Santa Cruz. Stop having opinions about things and stuff, or I'll have you banned. I can do it too, I subscribed to 'Winning=Bicycle Racing Illustrated' back when it was cool, and before it went away, and I can correctly pronounce most of the major mountain climbs on the European circuits. Don't test me. Stop this stacking. Stop it now...

El Cid is Spanish for The Cid..
    cmdrpiffle • 7 points •1 day ago
    Cinco de Mayo is Spanish for Cinco de Mayo

Weird huh?

Name:	DSC08990a.jpg 
Views:	1511 
Size:	194.7 KB 
ID:	1000925
    People leave bags of dog poop along the trail because they're doing their job, placing it in little bags and stuff. Besides, their Mom comes by later and picks up after them, right?

Weird huh?
    Hi, my name is Charlene, and I'm a recent convert/advocate to the mountain biking thingee. I've been: glued, plugged in, comatose, attached to my TV/phone/marriage/job (enter fail safe of your choice) for XXX years and I am now going out and experiencing 'nature'. That damned nature isn't as I'd imagined. OTHERS have been there. Spoiling MY 'Outdoor Experience' with their presence. Please make it stop. My Life Coach told me I'm the one in charge. Those things shouldn't be there as they don't properly fit into my "Expected/Presumed Outdoor/Life Experience" (which I paid for handsomely BTW)

Your experiences just aren't MY reality...please go away. I paid a LOT of money for this.

/s/ them

mtbr member
    Are any rocks hurt in the process, that's what I want to know.

mtbr member
    Meh... whatever..

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    It never even dawned on me that anybody could be upset by the presence of cairns. Apart from their trail-marking utility, I think some are pretty cool looking. Then again, I also like rock benches, wind walls made of rock and other similar natural "disturbances" that are found at the summits of some of the trails I frequent.

None of those things seem to interfere with my Zen experience. LMAO.

EMBA Member
    hmmm. first world problem?

mtbr member
    Just think of it as a game. How many rock piles can to knock over on your run? You should be thanking the hippies :0)

Broken Hipster
    I try to pee them over.
    You're marking your territory, I'm marking mine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladmo View Post
    hmmm. first world problem?
    Rocks or hippies?

mtbr member
    Along the washes locally, some enterprising individual(s) have taken to surrounding dog poop with rocks.

Best of both worlds?

TRANCER
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    oh jeez, relax people.
    Exactly! This country has become the home of a bunch of nosy cry babies. Don't like them? Knock em down and just STFU !
    Ride

Unpredictable
    I try to pee them over.
    You're marking your territory, I'm marking mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Rocks or hippies?
    Fixed it for ya Mr Piggy

Hermit
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    I've never had the desire to build a cairn, until I read that article.
    Same here. And paint a Confederate flag on it.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Biohazard74 View Post
    Exactly! This country has become the home of a bunch of nosy cry babies. Don't like them? Knock em down and just STFU !
    Shhhh. You might offend someone.

mtbr member
    "The world has been taken over by noisy people, and they have nothing to say"

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Recent statistics show that 93% of rock stacks were done by high school kids on mushrooms. As a former high school kid on mushrooms in the woods, I'm not about to get all bent about it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Ive had a lot of fun knocking them down and or throwing the rocks, always thought I was being an *******. Now I find out im not and I should be building them instead. But its just not as fun for me. What am I gunna do?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Recent statistics show that 93% of rock stacks were done by high school kids on mushrooms.
    And how the heck could they possibly know that?..

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    I've seen lots of these too, but none on the trails. Most of them are on the overlooks or on the side of the trails, in the mountain bikers' "rest area".

TRANCER
    Just think of it as a game. How many rock piles can to knock over on your run? You should be thanking the hippies :0)

I was thinking that if I saw them on the trail I'd practice bunny hopping over them.
    Ride

mtbr member
    Stop stacking rocks, ya dirty hippies!-imgp5739.jpg Don't know why but the make me smile.
    Marin Bobcat Trail 29er - Trek Farley 8

Alright so I'm in a pristine natural environment and I come across this depressing sight. And I filmed one of the culprits in the act of stacking. An 8 year old kid with parents nowhere in sight. I asked him to tip them over as I drove away. I don't think it sunk in though.

Stop stacking rocks, ya dirty hippies!-image.jpg

mtbr member
    I boggles my mind that some of you are upset about these cairns and people "upsetting" nature. Since you guys don't like things disturbed in the woods, my question is, do you move back the dirt that you displace with your tires when you ride? What about the leaves that blow around when you ride past them? Do you put them back too? Or if you displace a stick do you dismount and put it back where it was?
    "Lock S-Foils in attack position"

Rabid Lana fan

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I could see that kid doing some of the smaller ones, but the bigger formations are way too big for that scrawny kid to build.

Regardless, its a river. Soon as next spring hits when the river rises due to melting snow up river? They will get washed away.

Its like getting pissed at a sand castle on a beach. Give it a day or two and the tides will take it out.

mtbr member
    I'll be honest, when I was ten, had it occurred to me, I would have done the same thing. Playing, we called it.

mtbr member
    Somebody get that kid an xBox.....

mtbr member
    Is the authors email posted anywhere on that site? She sounds like one those you come across in the woods that act like they and only they should have the honor of being there. Anyone else passing by should be removed immediately.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Rock stacking must stop. It's ruining our society. I'm with Mookie on this one. Those rock stackers are just as bad as cat jugglers.

Quote Originally Posted by TSpice View Post
    I could see that kid doing some of the smaller ones, but the bigger formations are way too big for that scrawny kid to build.

Regardless, its a river. Soon as next spring hits when the river rises due to melting snow up river? They will get washed away.

Its like getting pissed at a sand castle on a beach. Give it a day or two and the tides will take it out.
    Obviously he didn't stack the big ones. That's why I said I filmed "one" of the culprits. And yes kids will be kids. But some dumb ass adult started it and he followed suit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogueldr View Post
    I boggles my mind that some of you are upset about these cairns and people "upsetting" nature. Since you guys don't like things disturbed in the woods, my question is, do you move back the dirt that you displace with your tires when you ride? What about the leaves that blow around when you ride past them? Do you put them back too? Or if you displace a stick do you dismount and put it back where it was?
    None of that ^^^ is even remotely close to purposely defacing the natural environment by stacking rocks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    off with their heads!

mtbr member
    get a rope!

Rod
    mtbr member
    I need an ebike so I can plow through those stacks of rocks.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    A friend of mine had an internship at HCN. It's a very competitive position to get so we're all proud of her. After it was over she mentioned how hard it was to get along with some of the staff as they were rabid anti-mtbers and like. I enjoy the magazine but there are certainly some articles that I have to roll my eyes at.

I always thought that a photo book of cairns would be cool to have on the coffee table. And yes, I once successfully built an arch cairn on the side of the Moore Fun trail near Fruita.

mtbr member
    If someone on a bike or an organized pile of rocks ruins your trip in the woods. The issue most likely lies with the person butt hurt over said biker or rock pile. Take a long hard look in the mirror and maybe find a new hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by XCBiker10287 View Post
    If someone on a bike or an organized pile of rocks ruins your trip in the woods. The issue most likely lies with the person butt hurt over said biker or rock pile. Take a long hard look in the mirror and maybe find a new hobby.
    Good advice, it worked for me. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2553
Size:  44.2 KB

mtbr member
    "This land is your land This land is my land
    From California to the New York island;
    From the red wood forest to the Gulf Stream waters
    This land was made for you and Me.

As I was walking that ribbon of highway,
    I saw above me that endless skyway:
    I saw below me that golden valley:
    This land was made for you and me.

I've roamed and rambled and I followed my footsteps
    To the sparkling sands of her diamond deserts;
    And all around me a voice was sounding:

When the sun came shining, and I was strolling,
    And the wheat fields waving and the dust clouds rolling,
    As the fog was lifting a voice was chanting:

As I went walking I saw a sign there
    And on the sign it said "No Trespassing."
    But on the other side it didn't say nothing,
    That side was made for you and me.

In the shadow of the steeple I saw my people,
    By the relief office I seen my people;
    As they stood there hungry, I stood there asking
    Is this land made for you and me?

Nobody living can ever stop me,
    As I go walking that freedom highway;
    Nobody living can ever make me turn back

This land was made for you and me."
    "It's not that bicycling is so important, it is that everything else is equally unimportant."-Bruce Ohlson.

mtbr member
    Just put some climbing bolts in them then you are just, like, one with nature man...and totally respecting it.

Rabid Lana fan
    Quote Originally Posted by AK 59 View Post
    Those rock stackers are just as bad as cat jugglers.

Flat Pluto Society
    This thread sucks donkey dick out loud.

mtbr member
    I'll be honest, when I was ten, had it occurred to me, I would have done the same thing. Playing, we called it.
    Yes, I thought this thread was going to be about people building obstacles in a MTB or multi-use trail to slow MTBs down or try to cause a crash.

No, it's art. Maybe not awesome art. But I haven't seen anything dangerous here.

Rabid Lana fan
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    Yes, I thought this thread was going to be about people building obstacles in a MTB or multi-use trail to slow MTBs down or try to cause a crash.

No, it's art. Maybe not awesome art. But I haven't seen anything dangerous here.
    So, you're saying it doesn't ruin your day when you come across a stack of rocks, and you just know they didn't stack themselves like that?

What are you, deranged?

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Just get a t-shirt that says, "I kick over cairns." Start posting pictures of yourself kicking over cairns.

Really stick it to 'em.

Maybe you can get it on Trump's campaign plan.

Flat Pluto Society
    Just get a t-shirt that says, "I kick over cairns." Start posting pictures of yourself kicking over cairns.

Really stick it to 'em.

Maybe you can get it on Trump's campaign plan.
    CairnKickers.com

mtbr member
    This happened the last time someone tried to knock over a cairn.

Stop stacking rocks, ya dirty hippies!-knock-over-cairn.jpg

(maybe this isn't as funny as I hoped. that's my dog, a cairn terrier. that's not me drinking scotch, and I edited it to protect the innocent.)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    None of that ^^^ is even remotely close to purposely defacing the natural environment by stacking rocks.
    What about your tire tracks? You are purposely defacing the dirt every time you ride on it. And inadvertently moving a stick or a rock might not be on purpose but you're still defacing the environment. So are you saying that if you do it by accident it's ok?

TRANCER
    I'm going to start putting gnomes all over my local trails
    Ride

mtbr member
    Saw this on my local trails yesterday. 1st one I ever saw there. But don't worry, I called the cops and they sent CSI to examine the crime scene. Plus they are setting up a sting operation to catch those anarchist rock pile people. They also suggested that maybe I should arm myself on my rides so that if I see it happening I can put an end to it right then and there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stop stacking rocks, ya dirty hippies!-rocks.jpg  

I didn't do it
    Saw this on my local trails yesterday. 1st one I ever saw there. But don't worry, I called the cops and they sent CSI to examine the crime scene. Plus they are setting up a sting operation to catch those anarchist rock pile people. They also suggested that maybe I should arm myself on my rides so that if I see it happening I can put an end to it right then and there.
    Thank you for your service.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flucod View Post
    That is a great plan! What is the best way to carry on a ride, anyone have any ideas?
    I don't think the question is so much how to carry but what to carry. A jackhammer would be my weapon of choice but I don't know of any cordless ones so I'm going to go with a sledgehammer.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Louisville Slugger

Want to hear that sweet sweet *PING* noise.

TRANCER
    I'm getting sick of seeing these stacked rocks on the trail.

Stop stacking rocks, ya dirty hippies!-shitty1.jpg
    Ride

What about your tire tracks? You are purposely defacing the dirt every time you ride on it. And inadvertently moving a stick or a rock might not be on purpose but you're still defacing the environment. So are you saying that if you do it by accident it's ok?
    Sure I'll go along with that.

The point is these fockers are purposely defacing the natural environment. A trail is built for hikers bikers and equestrians to get out and enjoy nature. What happens on the trail stays on the trail. Stay on the trail and the natural environment around it stays natural.

Colorado
    Sure I'll go along with that.

The point is these fockers are purposely defacing the natural environment. A trail is built for hikers bikers and equestrians to get out and enjoy nature. What happens on the trail stays on the trail. Stay on the trail and the natural environment around it stays natural.
    Oh the humanity (and self righteousness).

Lots of stuff in this world to be outraged about...this ain't one of them.

live long and huck

Name:	shitty1.jpg 
Views:	11378 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	1010027
    People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw piles of shyt.
    Low and slack.

Quote Originally Posted by ltspd1 View Post
    Oh the humanity (and self righteousness).

Lots of stuff in this world to be outraged about...this ain't one of them.
    There's many other things in this world that I'm outraged about besides this shit. Have you heard about Subway Jared?

I didn't do it
    Close talkers really piss me off. Especially if they have bad breath. Cigarettes mixed with coffee is the freaking worst.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

Upcyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    and you just know they didn't stack themselves like that?
    Maybe they did? Or maybe they were stacked by something...supernatural? Better get Egon to take some P.K.E. readings!

Name:  7bee33aa49be08fab1e7368c2380f84f.jpg
Views: 2574
Size:  15.1 KB
    By continuing to browse my posts, you agree to accept my use of cookies.

Ride More, Work Less
    I bet these people stacked rocks for years to make these.

live long and huck
    There's many other things in this world that I'm outraged about besides this shit. Have you heard about Subway Jared?
    Now there was a man with a plan! Bet he never could have put the pipe to all them young girls had he stayed a big fatty. Talk bout "stackin' rocks."
    Low and slack.

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Now there was a man with a plan! Bet he never could have put the pipe to all them young girls had he stayed a big fatty. Talk bout "stackin' rocks."
    He was getting his rocks off.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    I bet these people stacked rocks for years to make these.

Those stacks are ginormous! I wonder how long it would take to knock them down? I bet it's a long time.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    gotta have a goal
    The question isn't who's going to let me, it's who's going to stop me.

TRANCER
    Did someone say rocks?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stop stacking rocks, ya dirty hippies!-tyrone-free-crack-pipes-whatsreallyup.jpg  

Ride

Flat Pluto Society
    What, no cover of a Rush album in this thread?!?

I am SERIOUSLY disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    What, no cover of a Rush album in this thread?!?

I am SERIOUSLY disappointed.
    I think this is more appropriate.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2648
Size:  33.9 KB

mtbr member
    This isn't an American issue, it's global. Just a few weeks ago I came along the cycle track at the end of my road and what do you know, stacked rocks! I took a novel approach to dealing with them. It went something like:

pedal-pedal-pedal-pedal- Oh, stacked rocks! - pedal-pedal-pedal-pedal...

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Wow

You have to be kidding me !
    don't tell me, "Show Me " !

Ride More, Work Less
    Anybody that has watched Blair Witch Project knows tampering with stacked stones in the woods does not end well. Unless you can tell which stone piles were stacked by dirty hippies and which were magically placed by a witch, the best option is to not touch the stacked stones.
    Craigslist & MTBR --free ads for all

searchin for Animal Chin
    Looks like they must have burned the toilet paper eh?

Name:	shitty1.jpg 
Views:	11378 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	1010027
    some weird crazed desert dweller.

searchin for Animal Chin

My main issue with the article is that it smells of elite hiking, of having a purpose above other people's purpose. The Forest is our original home, and as such we are innately drawn to it.

human/nature art is magnificent and not something to get angry about when hiking.
    This! ^^^^

Also I quit my subscription to HCN long ago due to articles like this and when they quit being an independent voice for the western states and became a cheerleader for a certain political party.
    some weird crazed desert dweller.

gobsmacked Moderator
    I can't even believe people are arguing about rocks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast