Steerer Tube Extender- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Steerer Tube Extender

I'm looking for some feedback on the Dimention Steerer Extender. Has anyone used one of these for aggressive mountain biking? I don't do big jumps, but I will catch small air from time to time. Mostly I ride long hours with rocky, non-flowy, beater downhills.

Thanks.

Big Mac
    Never used it, never even heard of it. Get a new fork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Never used it, never even heard of it. Get a new fork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Drink and post often?

I'm looking for a serious answer please, if anyone has tried this or another extender. I'm trying to avoid a new crown steerer investment. The extender doesn't look pretty, but I'm mostly utilitarian on the MTB.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Dimension-Steerer-Extender

Thanks.

No known cure
    I wouldn't feel safe using that with the riding I do. I'd use a high rise stem and/or high rise bars.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    I'd put that on a cruiser bike for someone with a horrible back problem, but not a mountain bike. If you need to raise your handlebar THAT much, you have the wrong size frame. A stem with more upward angle (probably a shorter length, too) and a riser bar would be much better.

Bikes in jeans
    I've seen people use them, on like cruiser type bikes, IMO I wouldn't use one for serous riding.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

Duck Fonald
    I see that that product can possibly cause birth defects.

That's a big NO from me.
    ďThe further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.Ē

George Orwell

mtbr member
    Yeah. Like others said. OK for cruisers or casual hybrid bikes, but not really appropriate for mtbing...unless the mtbing is like cruising or casually riding hybrids. Ideally, you start out with a frame that has an appropriate stack (as in stack and reach spec) then adjust with spacers, stem angle and bar rise to get what you need. If you already have the frame and the fork steerer is already cut limiting it to just a spacer or two, see what you can do with stem angle and bar rise.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I would expect it to have fine print somewhere like those department store MTBs have saying that it's not for off road use.

I would never risk things on that end of the bike. The doctor/dentist bills are not worth it!

Out spokin'
    Hey Pisgah, no, I havenít used one but the problem with that steerer extender is that any stem & bars you attach to it will apply such leverage as youíre catching small air or riding long hours with rocky, beater downhills that itís nearly certain to work its way loose from the forkís actual steerer, effectively leaving you with a detached pair of handlebars in your hands at speed.

This would be an awful way to die.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I had once used a similar extender on a hybrid bike that had a low stack. It seems solid for a casual bike path rider. But I wouldn't feel confident on a faster or a mountain bike. There was nothing wrong with the specific extender that made me think it would break, just the nature of the contraption.

it makes the stem higher than on most uncut steerers. And the interface between extender and this extension doesn't seem as strong as between stem and steerer. And the added leverage may bend the original steerer.

If you need to add 50+ mm you may have the wrong bike, or try to make the wrong bike out if it. Or someone cut the fork steerer way too short (one reason to not buy complete bikes..). Sorry for the bad news. Maybe try very high riser bar.

Obviously it can work depending on your riding style, but no manufacturer will endorse MTB use.

BTW, you also should check with the fork manufacturer how many mm above the head tube the steerer can be. Even if you had an uncut steerer, they don't always endorse above a certain height above the head tube. they just give you a long steerer, since they don't know your head tube length. My last bike build had a CF steerer and limited me to 40mm above the head tube per manufacturer (which was new to me). That would apply to any extenders (and i doubt a fork manufacturer will endorse any extender)

Edit: the one I had used was a Wake from amazon, but it came with spacers. The one you linked doesn't seem to have spacers, so you should add that in.
    Mayor v4
    Giant Toughroad

Candlestick Maker
    I used a similar one from Zoom to raise the bars on an old school crap geometry bike. Worked fine til I got a better fitting bike. It is the silver thing left center in this pic of the pile of stem stuff I don't use anymore. For bikes with bars that are slightly too low, I've also used riser stems and/or bars.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk
    baker

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah View Post
    Drink and post often?

I'm looking for a serious answer please, if anyone has tried this or another extender. I'm trying to avoid a new crown steerer investment. The extender doesn't look pretty, but I'm mostly utilitarian on the MTB.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Dimension-Steerer-Extender

Thanks.
    That was a serious answer, peckerwood. Why so nasty?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Lol
    This thread has win written all over it from the get go.

The OP canít be serious, who would ride a bike with an extension on the most force impacted area of the bike? Nobody with a brain thatís for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Rabid Lana Fan
    OP, ignore all these haters. They're just jealous of your new up-right riding position.

Bolt that bad boy on and start sending it off ten foot drops to flat...you'll be fine.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I just read that Fox recommends no more than 30mm of spacers between the headset and the stem because the leverage can cause the steerer tube to fail. A solid steerer tube. With the forces involved here, I would absolutely not trust an extender device.

You can get new uppers for cheaper than a new fork, depending on the manufacturer. Alternatively, if you just want to raise your handlebar height, look into riser bars.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Trail Ninja
    The further you clamp away from the upper headset bearing, the less stiff the front end feels too. Can defeat the purpose of larger diameter fork lowers for predictability and hard charging confidence when your 1 1/8" (28.575mm) diameter aluminum steerer tube is flexing. There's a headset called the Intend Stiffmaster that stiffens the steerer up if you insist...

Wiser to get a high rise bar and/or stem. 60mm rise bar will add a little over 2" of height, which is similar to that extender, without the all the unwanted flexing/bending. Jenson even sells a 80mm riser bar, from an extremely respected brand known for their high quality handlebars (Deity).
    "The challenge is not in developing new ideas, but in escaping old ideas."

Duck Fonald
    Quote Originally Posted by baker View Post
    I used a similar one from Zoom to raise the bars on an old school crap geometry bike. Worked fine til I got a better fitting bike. It is the silver thing left center in this pic of the pile of stem stuff I don't use anymore. For bikes with bars that are slightly too low, I've also used riser stems and/or bars.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk
    Jeez, donate those to a shop that can use them for something.
    ďThe further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.Ē

George Orwell

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Jeez, donate those to a shop that can use them for something.
    Ha! With 4 riders in the house who have road, mountain, and fat bikes, it is amazing how much crap we rotate through. Esp with growing kids.

I do occasionally go through all of my junk and drop some stuff off at bike focused charities. Looking at that particular pile, though...I don't think I'll ever use that steerer extender. And right underneath it is an old quill steerer extender. I hope I never have reason to use that again!
    baker

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Jenson has sale now, if you buy this, they throw in Romco seat tube extender, crank arm extenders, and chain stay extenders for free. But wait, there's more' eye lash extenders, bar end extenders, and visor extenders for free if you act now.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    + another vote to avoid the extender

I'd consider a stem with more rise, or/and bars with more rise. The extender you mention adds 2 to 3.75 inches, or 50 to 96 mm.

Just as examples:

The same company that makes the extender you're considering makes a 60 mm high rise bar. Link...

Same company also makes hi rise stems. Link...

Should be easy to get the rise you're after more safely at a reasonable expense.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

Trail Ninja
    25.4mm bar clamp diameter on the handlebar, yikes.

Stem face plate bolts being positioned so close together for MTB is asking for premature loosening too.
    "The challenge is not in developing new ideas, but in escaping old ideas."

Pro Crastinator
    i would try a steerer tube stretcher before trying an adapter...

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Iíve never made my way down a technical rocky section then stopped at the bottom and looked up and said to myself, I sure could of used a steering tube extender.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    OP here. I've been offline for a few days.

The obvious consensus is not to try it. I suspected that.

Strange thing: I"m between a medium and a large frame size. I would like to go larger, but even the large front end is freaking low. If the seat post is raised for a taller person, that person would be riding with his/her hands below the bars (with the three spacers as Fox suggests).

I've been told that's the new "progressive" geo. it reminds me of 90s cockpits.

Thanks for the responses. Sorry for the nasty comment MBMTB.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah View Post
    even the large front end is freaking low. If the seat post is raised for a taller person, that person would be riding with his/her hands below the bars (with the three spacers as Fox suggests).
    riser bars, taller stems, etc will get the handlebar where you need it. the saddle/ handlebar vertical difference is irrelevant in when considered in isolation. what is the appropriate effective reach and stack to the grips from the BB? how long is the fork? how steep is that seat tube? what's the BB drop? all of these make a difference and a bike with a saddle-bar drop might still be perfectly comfortable and upright. the steep STAs on some modern bikes make the overall height of the saddle from the ground higher, which makes a dropper post even more important.

my handlebar is well below my saddle, but there are half a dozen other factors to consider. I think my bike is still quite upright for me and I wish I could get it a little lower.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Thanks for the advice, Mack. I'll add a short 15degree stem with a very tall riser bar. I need to be more upright.