Stay with 7 spd Cassette or switch to 9 spd cassette?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Stay with 7 spd Cassette or switch to 9 spd cassette?

I ride mostly urban/pavement /city/light trails riding with my mtb. I just purchased a new Deore XT crankset 9 speed. Can I keep my 7 spd cassette with the 9 spd Deore XT crank? Are there any advantages of having closer gear shifting with a 9 spd cassette vs a 7 spd cassette?

Also can I use a 9spd Derailleur on a 7 spd cassette? Thank you for the help in advance Stay with 7 spd Cassette or switch to 9 spd cassette?-dsc03059.jpg

Give it a crank
    You can still use the same 7-speed cassette with the new crankset. A 9-speed MTB cassette would get you lower gears for steeper climbs which you'll never use unless you ride hilly streets somewhere like San Francisco.

There are also 9-speed road bike cassettes without big-tooth low gears and with a better range of gears.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    There are also 9-speed road bike cassettes without big-tooth low gears and with a better range of gears.[/QUOTE]

would the 9 spd road bike cassettes perform better shifting wise than the 7 spd 11-28T cassette I have now?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    would it be better to just stay with the 7 speed cassette?

since 4/10/2009
    a wide range road cassette will put you at 11-28, but with closer steps between gears. The smaller difference between gears helps you choose an ideal gearing for your preferred cadence and also is less of a startling difference when shifting from one to the other.

Before settling on anything different, really look at what you're using when you ride. If you find yourself wanting lower gearing, buy a wider range mtb cassette in 11-32 or 11-34. If you find yourself never using your lowest gears, consider a narrower range road cassette. If you like what you have, then look for an 11-28 9spd cassette that will give you more options between the top and bottom end.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    So basically what your saying is the difference between a 7 and 9 11-28 would be the 9 speed would have smoother shifting and also have more of a variety of gears to pick the right cadence?

Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    a wide range road cassette will put you at 11-28, but with closer steps between gears. The smaller difference between gears helps you choose an ideal gearing for your preferred cadence and also is less of a startling difference when shifting from one to the other.

Before settling on anything different, really look at what you're using when you ride. If you find yourself wanting lower gearing, buy a wider range mtb cassette in 11-32 or 11-34. If you find yourself never using your lowest gears, consider a narrower range road cassette. If you like what you have, then look for an 11-28 9spd cassette that will give you more options between the top and bottom end.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Before you buy anything make sure you have a freehub and cassette and not a 7 sp freewheel which is common. No change possible if you have a freewheel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I already have a 7 speed cassette on SHimano HG 41 11-28T. I just purchased a shimano deore XT 9 speed crank. I am just wondering if I should keep my set -up with my 7 speed cassette or switch over to a 9 speed cassette? I just acquired a good used mini-group of Shimano XT components which includes XT rear derailleur, XT front derailleur, Deore 9 speed shifters, and 9 speed SRAM 11-32T cassette, so I have everything for both set-ups. Just wondering which one I should acquire as my 7 speed set up is brand new and the 9 speed is used but better components. My current 7 speed components are all Shimano Tourney components.

So should i keep the 7 speed tourney components or would the Shimano XT components 9 speed but used be a significant upgrade?

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Before you buy anything make sure you have a freehub and cassette and not a 7 sp freewheel which is common. No change possible if you have a freewheel.
    7-speed freehubs are also narrower than 8/9/10 freehubs. Another thing to keep in mind, OP, if you want to change to 9 speed.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

since 4/10/2009
    XT would be a huge upgrade over tourney.

only part of shifting smoothness comes from the cog tooth count spacing. Small gaps in spacing are easier to shift between than larger gaps. But with the kinds of upgrades you're discussing, that small difference will be the least of your concerns. Paramount for you is the fact that you're talking about a major bump in overall drivetrain quality. the derailleurs, shifters, cassette, and cables/housing all play a role in that.

The question about compatibility is really what needs to be answered, though. All this talk about what's better and whether you'd notice the difference is moot if a 9spd cassette doesn't fit on your wheelset. I will suppose for a second that your 7spd cassette has a spacer behind it, and that your wheelset will accept a 9spd cassette if you remove the spacer. You'll need to verify that, though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    A 9 speed will def fit so no worries about that

only part of shifting smoothness comes from the cog tooth count spacing. Small gaps in spacing are easier to shift between than larger gaps. But with the kinds of upgrades you're discussing, that small difference will be the least of your concerns. Paramount for you is the fact that you're talking about a major bump in overall drivetrain quality. the derailleurs, shifters, cassette, and cables/housing all play a role in that.

The question about compatibility is really what needs to be answered, though. All this talk about what's better and whether you'd notice the difference is moot if a 9spd cassette doesn't fit on your wheelset. I will suppose for a second that your 7spd cassette has a spacer behind it, and that your wheelset will accept a 9spd cassette if you remove the spacer. You'll need to verify that, though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Only thing is the XT components are from 2006

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Yes my hubs will fit up to a 10 speed cassette and my 7 speed cassette right now has a spacer behind it

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

parts upgrading

These are the parts I will be upgrading. As you can see on the 7 spd cassette, there is a spacer.

Stay with 7 spd Cassette or switch to 9 spd cassette?-tourneyrear.jpgStay with 7 spd Cassette or switch to 9 spd cassette?-m131crank.jpgStay with 7 spd Cassette or switch to 9 spd cassette?-7spdshifter.jpgStay with 7 spd Cassette or switch to 9 spd cassette?-7spdcassette.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

upgraded parts

These are the 2006 deore/Xt with SRAm 11-32T cassette I am thinking of upgrading withName:  sramcassette.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  9.7 KBName:  deorextrear.JPG
Views: 215
Size:  1.6 KBName:  deorefrontder.JPG
Views: 218
Size:  1.4 KBName:  9spdshifterdeore2.JPG
Views: 214
Size:  1.8 KBName:  9spdshifterdeore1.JPG
Views: 210
Size:  1.7 KB

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Do you think good condition but used 2006 XT components will perform better than the New 7 spd Tourney??

Bro
    Content from my avatar

Stay with 7 spd Cassette or switch to 9 spd cassette?

Any vintage of working XT will be better than Tourney. I have all the original XTR on a ten-year-old bike an it's much better than the ~2010 Alivio that was on my old bike.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Sweet!!! That's exactly what I wanted to know I think it will all work really well with the new Shimano XT crankset!

Quote Originally Posted by Bro View Post
    Any vintage of working XT will be better than Tourney. I have all the original XTR on a ten-year-old bike an it's much better than the ~2010 Alivio that was on my old bike.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mpix00 View Post
    Do you think good condition but used 2006 XT components will perform better than the New 7 spd Tourney??
    it depends on how used. nice derailleurs have a long life, but they can get pretty trashed if ridden enough.