• 01-10-2013
    Jwind
    Standover, what's sufficient?
    As someone with a proportionally long inseam and medium height, i've never really paid attention to it. My fiance on the other hand is 5.5 and loves 29ers. Fit is always 'close' on a number of measurements.

She's eying a Salsa horsethief and the stand over is tight. Where exactly is on the sloping TT does the measurement come from and what do you consider 'enough' clearance?
  • 01-10-2013
    Harold
    Standover is a preference issue, not a determinant of fit or non-fit.

If she is comfortable with the reach, gets appropriate pedal extension, and is happy with the other characteristics of the bike, standover can be huge or nothing, whatever she's comfortable with is okay.

My wife wants enough that she can dismount comfortably enough, because she has a short inseam and is not a terribly confident rider (she dismounts a lot). What that means differs from frame to frame. She pays attention to other aspects of fit first before considering standover.
  • 01-10-2013
    p08757
    If you can stand over your bike without saying "ouch" you have enough clearance.

Besides this, I would guess it depends on the type of riding you do and the amount of emergency dismounts you do. To me stand over clearance is kind of a personal thing, and everyone probably has their preference. When you have enough you don't think about it, and when you don't you definitely know.
  • 01-10-2013
    shibiwan
    Quote:

Originally Posted by p08757 View Post
    If you can stand over your bike without saying "ouch" you have enough clearance.

Besides this, I would guess it depends on the type of riding you do and the amount of emergency dismounts you do. To me stand over clearance is kind of a personal thing, and everyone probably has their preference. When you have enough you don't think about it, and when you don't you definitely know.

Definitely. I prefer not to be able to ram my nuts into the toptube for obvious reasons!

-S
  • 01-10-2013
    Jwind
    We live in Moab. There are a fair amount of emergency dismounts. I just don't want her to be paranoid about railing the TT if things get crazy.
  • 01-10-2013
    DavyRay
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    We live in Moab. There are a fair amount of emergency dismounts. I just don't want her to be paranoid about railing the TT if things get crazy.

Then get her a ladies bike.

I have never owned a bike which fit me decently while riding it, and which also allowed me to comfortably jump down flat-footed with the bike fully vertical. Maybe I'm unique. I doubt it.

Most of the bikes I own require me to dismount with a bit of planning. I can tilt the bike a bit. I can land on my toes. If the terrain is lumpy (think of trails here) you may find a patch with a slight dip in it. That makes this all the worse. Have you seen any perfectly level sections of mountain bike trail?
  • 01-10-2013
    AndrwSwitch
    I'd say if your fiancee knows her equipment well enough to have her own preferences, the best place for you is out of the way. :D
  • 01-11-2013
    wschruba
    Personally, I've had very few dismounts that would have impaled me on the top tube, even if I had no standover clearance. Unless you are holding the bike upright, it's gonna come down with you, barring being stuck in a rut.

To be perfectly crude, my nuts are the least of my worries, as they're not tangled in the wreck...my legs are.
  • 01-11-2013
    DIRTJUNKIE
    To actually rack yourself with a dismount would require both feet coming off the pedals at the same time. With the bike in a vertical upright position. How many dismounts happen this way. If she rides clipless it's nearly impossible to end up dismounting this way. And a platform flat pedal dismount like this is extremely rare. I say be more concerned with frame sizing and geometry. Most frames are designed with plenty of standover height for a side dismount.
  • 01-13-2013
    eb1888
    People check standover incorrectly because it's easy. Hold the bike she wants to test with her mounted and standing on the pedals. Let her choose which is her preferred side to dismount. She can freewheel the opposite side pedal down and stand on it. That will show her a true standover as she leans the bike naturally to dismount. She will have more real space by maybe 4 inches over the other method.
  • 01-13-2013
    ntm1973
    "Enough" clearance for me is enough to stand over the bike but I have a short inseam and like a more laid out riding position. I gave up on the idea of standover clearance a long time ago. What are the odds of you falling straight legged perfectly upright on level ground while mtn biking? If I can stand over the bike, I'm happy. Ultimately, your fiance will have to prioritize what elements to bike fit are most important to her. It is all usually some type of a compromise if you are on the shorter or very tall end of the spectrum.