Sport insurance?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Sport insurance?

Is there such a thing as sport insurance for MTB bikers? Would it help to to cover for injuries?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    how would this be any different from regular health insurance?

mtbr member
    Most things like that are supplemental insurance (AFLAK) and you need primary coverage first.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

Flat Pluto Society
    I put all the pennies from my change into a jar. If I get hurt on the trail, I'll have one of my riding buddies go home and get the jar. If there's enough in it, I'll get a helicopter ride out and then I'll Google the nearest doctor that is specially equipped to handle the type of injuries that I have that day and I'll tell the pilot to drop me off at that doctor (there's usually a big target on the roof to tell the pilot where to land). There should be enough change left in the jar to pay the doctor plus any additional treatment I may need.

Insurance is a scam. No need to look up any insurance agents in your area to ask them questions you may have about insurance because they all have new boats that they are paying for so they just want your money.

Edit: pennies not penis.
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:01 AM. Reason: Pennies not penis
    Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

Nat
    mtbr member
    “MTB biker” is killing me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'm not sure what a MTB biker is, but there is a silent l supplemental insurance crash plan I saw recently. Forgot the name though.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Medical insurance, whether nationalised, as in Canada, the U.K. or (in the case of Medicare) the U.S. covers it as does a variety of "over the counter" insurance policies. If you break a leg, it gets treated whether you fall down the stairs or off a trail. I don't remember ever being asked how I hurt myself when I've gotten treatment.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I thought sports insurance like that was to cover people who make their living via the sport so say a downhill racer or XC racer or freerider who is competing on a professional level.
    Ragley Big Wig, Sunday Soundwave (BMX), Nashbar CXSS (workout)

Flat Pluto Society
    Quote Originally Posted by 93EXCivic View Post
    I thought sports insurance like that was to cover people who make their living via the sport so say a downhill racer or XC racer or freerider who is competing on a professional level.
    They never have insurance. Haven't you seen all the GoFundMe accounts where they're asking for money because they got hurt racing and they weren't insured?

I think it's stipulated in their contracts that they are not to be insured. But the teams do supply dollar store first aid kits, so they've got that going for them.

mtbr member
    Carry cyanide pill like spy.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    I never indicate that I engage in what is considered to be a risky sport when completing life insurance profiles. But I digress...
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

Bikesexual
    You can certainly insure your legs/limbs, didn't David Beckham insured his legs for like $500.000 each?
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I think this is the one I was thinking of. I realize this is a Picard thread so the entire thing is a joke, but hey, it exists:

https://balanceforcyclists.com/individuals

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    I never indicate that I engage in what is considered to be a risky sport when completing life insurance profiles. But I digress...
    my friend, who is a big time road racer, was complaining a few years ago that unfit people should have to pay more for their health insurance, since they are a burden on society. couple months later, he was in surgery for his broken collarbone, broken of course, while riding. he has since broken it again.

they do ask now, how you injured yourself, to try and assess whether your injury was attributable to someones else's insurance, like the guy who hit you, the pothole that wasn't fixed, etc. they also ask if it was work related, ie workers comp should pay.

and, one reason insurance from places like USAA, AARP, GEICO etc is cheaper, is that the local agent isn't getting rich off you. you don't need to have a guy across town to take care of your claim.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    You can certainly insure your legs/limbs, didn't David Beckham insured his legs for like $500.000 each?
    Yeah, I think John Holmes had one of his legs insured too.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Yeah, I think John Holmes had one of his legs insured too.
    Lol! That one leg, right?
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Lol! That one leg, right?
    True story.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailGoat View Post
    how would this be any different from regular health insurance?
    I think regular health insurance doesn't cover high risk activities. it covers simple dental plan, medications, massage therapy, sick holidays. My plan doesn't cover severe broken leg, spin column or lost of work days.

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    I think regular health insurance doesn't cover high risk activities. it covers simple dental plan, medications, massage therapy, sick holidays. My plan doesn't cover severe broken leg, spin column or lost of work days.
    It sounds like you are talking about income protection through STD (Short Term Disability) / LTD (Long Term Disability) insurance policies. As has already been pointed out by other posters, your basic medical treatment is already provided to you at no extra cost in Canada, since you are already paying for for it through your taxes. That is true regardless of the cause of illness or injury. In Canada, a typical private insurance policy won't cover costs of the core treatment, since they expect this is provided to you already. What they may do is provide supplemental benefits such as physio and other types of rehab, vocational counselling and re-training (if you can no longer work in your previous occupation), and in the case of STD/LTD replacement of your lost income. The income protection is usually on a partial basis covering about 70% of your previous earnings (up to a stipulated maximum) so that it provides motivation to resume work, rather than simply collect the income replacement benefit indefinitely.
    Nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    BTW I should have also mentioned that you are correct that most STD/LTD policies and/or supplemental health benefits will have exclusions concerning high-risk activities, but so long as these are related to recreational activities and not your profession, then these activities are typically well-defined and limited in scope to things such as skydiving, scuba diving, motorsports racing, etc. I have never seen a policy that has exclusions for any form of recreational cycling, whether mountain biking or other. That's not to say a policy with this exclusion doesn't exist (it's your coverage, you need to read it carefully and consult with knowledgeable resources if you don't fully understand it) but only that I've never personally seen one. Conversely, if mountain biking was your profession (not a recreational hobby activity), it would likely be difficult to find coverage, or at least difficult to find it any reasonable premium rate.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I pay an extra $20 a month for accident insurance which coves injuries such as broken collar bones related to “high risk” activities, ACls, gun shot wounds, etc. In CO, a hunting license includes search and rescue insurance surcharge and I carry 50k in life flight insurance for about $100 annually. Between Backcountry Mtn Biking , Backcountry snowboarding and Backcountry hunting, statistics aren’t on my side.

Flat Pluto Society
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    BTW I should have also mentioned that you are correct that most STD/LTD policies and/or supplemental health benefits will have exclusions concerning high-risk activities, but so long as these are related to recreational activities and not your profession, then these activities are typically well-defined and limited in scope to things such as skydiving, scuba diving, motorsports racing, etc. I have never seen a policy that has exclusions for any form of recreational cycling, whether mountain biking or other. That's not to say a policy with this exclusion doesn't exist (it's your coverage, you need to read it carefully and consult with knowledgeable resources if you don't fully understand it) but only that I've never personally seen one. Conversely, if mountain biking was your profession (not a recreational hobby activity), it would likely be difficult to find coverage, or at least difficult to find it any reasonable premium rate.
    I don't know why you waste your time, dude.

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    I don't know why you waste your time, dude.
    Why does anyone bother posting in this thread, dude?

Snow Dog
    when I was playing adult league hockey regularly, I remember that being a USA Hockey member gave me an option for insurance for injuries sustained in a game. It was like $20 more per year for membership, but it was worth it to me...especially in my 20's when I did not have regular insurance. Hockey would have been my biggest risk factor back then.

and of course, my 2 biggest hockey injuries came 4 years ago during a time when I was not choosing the extra coverage, but regular insurance still covered most of it
    Go practice. Figure it out. - Fleas

15 Surly Krampus - King Amongst Bikes
    LET IT SNOW!

Flat Pluto Society
    Why does anyone bother posting in this thread, dude?
    Exactly.

No. Just No.
    Exactly.
    More to my intended point, I'll post in any thread I feel like posting in and don't need you to be my self-appointed, unsolicited posting nanny.

Flat Pluto Society
    More to my intended point, I'll post in any thread I feel like posting in and don't need you to be my self-appointed, unsolicited posting nanny.
    I think you misunderstood. You have a lengthy, informative post in a Picard thread. I was just pointing out (to anyone, actually), that posts with good info are generally lost on Picard.

Sorry I seemed to have singled you out.

No. Just No.
    You almost made an apology noting that you didn't single me out to be my posting nanny, then proceeded to appoint yourself as everyone's posting nanny. WTF?

For a guy who isn't a newb, you sure act like one. Here, I fixed it for you below. Fill in thread title and poster name of your choice, and the sentence probably fits for about half the postings on mtbr.

You have a lengthy, informative post in a ____________ thread. I was just pointing out (to anyone, actually), that posts with good info are generally lost on __________.
    For the record, we had Picard all to ourselves on our regional forum for a long time many years ago before he migrated out as a regular to a broader audience. However, don't let that stop you from posting up as though you have some special insight on the subject.

mtbr member
    ^^^^ Geez guys wait...okay,here you go:

__________________________________________________ ________

There's the line, let the pissing contest begin.

Pro Crastinator
    ..For the record, we had Picard all to ourselves on our regional forum for a long time many years ago..
    i guess once you get trolled, it's not possible to stop...

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker. View Post
    i guess once you get trolled, it's not possible to stop...
    How 'bout I just send you a map of the whole forest and we can call it a day, k?

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Whoa, that took an unexpected turn. Did someone piss in your Wheaties, Cir?
    "And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called, The Human Race..."

Pro Crastinator
    How 'bout I just send you a map of the whole forest and we can call it a day, k?
    will it lead me to piles of shokkers and skoors?

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker. View Post
    will it lead me to piles of shokkers and skoors?
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you are thinking of the other whole forest.