Specialized AWOL Whats your thoughts?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Specialized AWOL Whats your thoughts?

Ive been looking at the AWOL for a while now but no one can seem to get them in. Lbs Just got the AWOL Comp in and man it seems like a awesome bike, and Its my size and rides great. I do mostly gravel, and endurance races. Been thinking my next bike would be steel and this seems like the one I want, just looking for some input.

mtbr member
    Who is riding a steel bike and why do you prefer over lighter material.

mtbr member
    I have a steel ss (on one inbred). Honestly, it's just a little less punishing. I still prefer carbon. But steel ht vs. Aluminum ht, I'd take the extra lb

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Im on aluminum now and 51 years young and thats what I am thinking.

mtbr member
    try and get a test ride in. i don't think you'll be disappointed.

mtbr member
    TwoNin9r I did get a little test ride in on the AWOL and I think I really like it. I will ever be in the running to win a 100 or more mile gravel endurance race so not really worried about the weight. I just ride to compete against myself and have fun, so I'm thinking along the lines of more comfort. Thats the reason I'm looking at steel.

mtbr member
    Sweet! Post pics if you get it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Will do.

mtbr member
    Im stoked, set the AWOL up last night and got to ride it around a little bit, Its is awesome. Right now it comes in at 25.01 pounds, not bad for a steel bike. I will try and get some pics up latter today.

AZ
    banned
    What size did you get and how tall are you?

mtbr member
    I got the medium and I am 5'9".

mtbr member
    Pics of the new AWOL!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sjfsr-shep View Post
    Pics of the new AWOL!
    That didn't work HaHa I will have to try it later.

mtbr member
    Some pods of the new AWOL! Specialized AWOL Whats your thoughts?-photo3_zps9843e0c1.jpgSpecialized AWOL Whats your thoughts?-photo2_zps925a3acd.jpgSpecialized AWOL Whats your thoughts?-photo1_zpsaccddb64.jpg

mtbr member
    Had the first real ride today on the new AWOL and the bike is all i expected. Very impressed with it.

mtbr member

Looks great, sjfsr-shep!

I'm torn between the AWOL, Trek crossrip, and niner RLT. They're all different in their own ways. Would use it mostly to commute but also occasional gravel and dirt. They had one at a bike shop today but it felt REALLY heavy. Is the heft in the frame or the wheels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Awesome! Nice to see another AWOL owner - I just got an AWOL comp from my LBS - very excited as I waited a LONG time for it to come in. Haven't been able to ride it yet...hopefully soon, its killing me.

Looks like you replace bar tap and saddle, any other mods? Any upgrads/add-ons you thinking about?

I will be using mine to commute, some touring on pavement and dirt/gravel, and some dirt gravel rides. Since much of my time will be on pavement (roads and paths), I am thinking about new tires, maybe even a second wheel set to swap them for different uses.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BmoreKen View Post
    Looks great, sjfsr-shep!

I'm torn between the AWOL, Trek crossrip, and niner RLT. They're all different in their own ways. Would use it mostly to commute but also occasional gravel and dirt. They had one at a bike shop today but it felt REALLY heavy. Is the heft in the frame or the wheels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Very different set. I decided on the AWOL after looking at a Spec Tricross, Salsa Vaya, and a number of others. Ultimately I decide I wanted steel, even if its heavier, as the ride is great - eliminates the vibration of my aluminum bike. I mostly ride on paths/roads (commuting) but some of the paths are quite rough. Also went with the AWOL as it can handle dirt roads, touring, etc so is very versatile .

mtbr member
    mstraus I replaced the saddle with Spec Romin, and replaced bars with Salsa wood chippers, and bar tape obviously, and put a set of Clement mso exlpor tires on it. It ways in a at 24.9. Did the land Run 100 with it and i loved it. Very comfortable but yet fast and smooth, and Climbs great. No regrets at all.
    I would like to put a set of tubeless rims on it yet but don't know what i want yet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Interesting. I'm gonna get a steel drop bar bike for riding dirt/gravel roads when the area trails are in bad shape (like now), and my final options are Spec AWOL, Salsa Vaya, and Kona Rove.

I like and dislike various things about each, and I can't find an AWOL in stock at any nearly LBS's to test ride.

Out of curiosity, why did you switch to the Woodchipper bars?

mtbr member
    I really like the woodchippers. To me they are more ergonomically correct for the angle of your wrist and elbows, and very comfortable when in the drops because of the different and
    angle they have. It is really easy for me to ride in the drops with these where it wasn't with other bars. I just think they put less stress on wrist, elbows, and shoulders.
    Bad thing about the AWOL...very hard to find. HaHa other than that couldn't say anything bad so far. Love it!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I got a chance to ride an AWOL Comp today, albeit in one size too big (I rode a Large, but fit a Medium). With the size caveat, here are my impressions:

Geometry is dialed--neutral and comfortable in and out of the saddle, climbing and descending. The tall head tube (especially tall on the frame I rode) put the drops in a great position, but the hoods were too high to be useful for aggressive riding (read: just where you want them when you've been on your bike for 9 hours and are looking for your campsite). I didn't notice the short stem, and even with the long wheelbase the bike felt fairly compact.

Ride quality is plush and lively for a bike designed to carry camping gear. It doesn't ride like an expedition touring bike (i.e., LHT); instead, it's surprisingly light and compliant feeling, so it would be a fun bike to ride all day on pavement, even if you wanted to hammer. And if it will fit a 2.1, it should do fine on dirt as well.

My only hesitation with the frame is how it will handle fully loaded, and that's something I haven't had a chance to test. The frame doesn't feel especially rigid through the top tube--great for unloaded or lightly loaded rides, but it could get wiggly when loaded down with gear on a long tour. My guess is it wouldn't be rock-solid heading down a mountain pass with front and rear panniers, but I could be wrong. In any case, I don't use more than two panniers on tour anymore, and the frame in my size should be slightly stiffer.

I've been looking for a bike I can enjoy on angry mixed-surface rides in the mountains, road rides with my wife, and month-long tours on and off road. That's a fairly tall order for one bike, but I think the AWOL is a a good enough compromise that I placed an order for a frameset. I'll update once I've received the frame and finished the build. I may have a bit of a wait, though, as the frame may not be in for another month or so.