mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Specialized 2FO Cliplite Shoes Fit Over Time.

I received a pair of Specialized 2FO Cliplite shoes for Christmas. I have a wide foot and they are real snug. For riders that have them, did you have a breaking in period? In time, did they stretch out and mold to you feet?

Thanks for you input. Much appreciated.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Mine have not stretched out and are pretty snug in the forefoot.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

jcd's best friend
    I've had mine for a couple months and I also have a wide foot. They fit just a little snug on my feet but they haven't stretched too much. I also have 2FO flats too. Those did stretch a little bit and felt comfortable after about a month of wearing them.
    Trek Emonda | Transition Sentinel

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Thanks for responding. Did you buy your regular shoe size or buy up a size?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    They definitely broke-in for me over maybe 5 rides.
    Love these shoes. Favorites.

mtbr member
    Yeah. I had a pair of 2FO cliplites a size up from my usual. They were too narrow and did not budge. That was a couple of years ago and they may have widened the toe box a little since then. It seems shoes nowadays are basically all plastic, especially cycling shoes, so they don't break in and conform like leather can. They have to fit very well to begin with.
    Do the math.

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
    Thanks for responding. Did you buy your regular shoe size or buy up a size?
    I'm a size 12 and ended up getting a 12.25 if I recall. I tried to go down a size and it was too tight! All of my shoes (except my FiveTens) are a quarter inch bigger due to the Euro size conversion chart. It actually works out pretty good that way!

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    I just through out the Specialized shoes in favor of Shimano ME7 and I also have a pair of AM 5's that are pretty comfy as well. The 2FO's that I had never really broke in at all, and over time as another poster said they actually got more stiff.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I ordered a new pair, size 13 (!), through the local Specialized dealer, and they fit pretty good out of the box.

I normally wear an 11.5W. The 11.5s I got at Christmas weíre so tight, I couldnít imagine one size up would work so went with the 13.

Itís January in New England. Iíll report back after a few rides if they give any.

Best to all. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    During one of my recent shoe shopping experiences, the sales dude explained to me how the EU sizing seems pretty consistent, but the conversion factor used by the manufacturers differ.

I purchased a 10.5 Bontrager Flatline, or EU 43.5. The 10.5 shoe should not fit me as my running shoes are 10's and my daily shoes can often be a 9.5.

When I purchased shoes last year for my girlfriend I found this similar too. The US size matched her shoe size. The EU conversion factor proved it was a size too small when compared to other US sizes. I had no idea what her EU size was so I went with the size in US despite the conversion table showing it was meant to be smaller.
    Anyway, the shoe was too small, the EU size that matched her other EU size was correct.

I don't know if there is any truth to this theory as I've only purchased 2 shoes in EU sizing, ever.
    I do know from shopping online that different manufacturers list different US sizes for the same EU size, confirming what my local shop explained to me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
    I ordered a new pair, size 13 (!), through the local Specialized dealer, and they fit pretty good out of the box.

I normally wear an 11.5W. The 11.5s I got at Christmas weíre so tight, I couldnít imagine one size up would work so went with the 13.

Itís January in New England. Iíll report back after a few rides if they give any.

Best to all. Thanks for sharing your experiences.
    I normally wear a 11 but I picked up a pair of 13s when Arts closed for REAL cheap. I had heard from others they run really small so I took the gamble and they have a bit of room in front of the toe but the rest fits perfect. I had the same issue with a pair of Bontragers as well in the past where I need a full size or more up to get a good fit. I have a few rides on them and like them, they are the lace version and they are REALLY comfortable for clipless.
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest Rider View Post
    ... the sales dude explained to me how the EU sizing seems pretty consistent, but the conversion factor used by the manufacturers differ...
    That's been my experience too. Figure out your EU size and it's more likely to be consistent between manufacturers than will be their US sizing.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    This is the most important question in mountain biking for me. Not which bike, which trail, shorts, etc, but what shoes can I wear comfortably.

No, most of these shoes are synthetics and will not ever stretch out. I've even tried expanding the toe box in the same manner as I used for my ski boots. The fabric reinforcement in the fake leather keeps the fake leather from stretching.

I've used Shimano M-089 shoes for years now. They come in a wide that is a EE width whereas I use EEEE shoes normally. The only other mtb shoes I've found in wide sizes are the Sidi (very expensive and not especially wide), and Lake shoes.

The M-089 shoes are nothing to write home about but work OK. However, Shimano now only lists two $400+ shoes on their website as being wide - no more Shimano shoes for me?

I just ordered a pair of Lake shoes in a 45 wide. I've used Lake 303s with the fat bike and ordered a pair of normal mtb shoes in wide. I will have to return them because their 45 runs quite small compared with the 45s I use for shoes and hiking boots. I will go to a 46 next. However, the width of the Lakes look good and I'm looking forwards to getting the new shoes. Does anyone know of a bay area lbs with a good selection of Lake shoes? It's tough trying on shoes long distance.

Be careful with narrow shoes. Pinching the front of my foot in early plastic telemark boots gave me a neuorma in each foot (known to free heelers as a "Scarpa Neuroma"). The one in my right foot is very bad right now and I'm going to have to have surgery to get rid of it before I can walk or ride really comfortably.
    My mantra: Hike, Bike, Paddle, Ski

jcd's best friend
    I actually use the Shimano M089 shoes on my road bike along with SPD M520 pedals. I still like riding on flats but I have a set of Crank Brothers Mallet pedals along with their cleats. I'm still not sure if I want to use my 2FO cliplites full time over my flats just yet. I'm comfortable with riding clipless but not comfortable with hard descents on clipless pedals.