Speaking of Crankbrothers- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Speaking of Crankbrothers

Got my new Iodine 3 All-mountain wheelset a few weeks ago and have been running them on my Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite.

Very nice wheels, so far. Very stiff, at least they feel a lot stiffer than the horrible DT Swiss/Roval wheelset with the self-destructing bearings that come with many Specialized bikes.

The twin-pair spoke layout seems to work really well. I weigh 240 pounds and have pulled some Gs on them without the squishiness a clyde like me has come to expect in his wheels.

Lighter, too. I don't have a scale but just by feel the stripped rear wheel felt appreciably lighter.

On another note, because there are no holes in the rim they set up for tubeless use very easily. Both tires also inflated easily with only a hand pump and some soap solution.

And they look kind of cool.

Naturally it's hard to judge wheels fairly. A lot of things effect the ride including suspension, tires, and terrain. But they only thing I switched was the wheels and the bike seems to both roll and handle better.

Yes, I took the dropper post off. Don't really need it much in Louisiana.

Crankbrother Mallet pedals, too. Really like them.

I got thee wheels through Crankbrother's upgrade program. They retail for about $900 but they sell them for $600.

The only drawback so far is that for the money I spent I could have bought three Wal Mart mountain bikes which everyone knows are all you really need to ride most trails.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Speaking of Crankbrothers-iodine.jpg  

Last edited by Ailuropoda; 12-30-2013 at 05:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    That's a lot for pedals

Big Mac

And I hear the customer service is second to none.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    NICE wheels. $900 for pedals? yikes. talk about disposable income.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by powpig2002 View Post
    NICE wheels. $900 for pedals? yikes. talk about disposable income.
    $900 pedals? Was that a typo? I just looked on their website, the most expensive pedals listed were eggbeaters for $425.

+++ CrankBrothers - Service + Upgrade Center +++
    $60 from $90, stupid decimal places.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Well with CB reputation I would think a website error would be the norm for them.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 12-31-2013 at 12:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    $900 pedals? Was that a typo? I just looked on their website, the most expensive pedals listed were eggbeaters for $425.
    The wheels were $600

Pedals $90.

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    OH NO!!!!! You mentioned the 'C-word.' Prepare yourself for the haters!
    - 2013 Pivot Mach 429 C
    - 2010 Niner MCR
    - 2009 Cannondale Super Six HM
    - 2007 Santa Cruz Super Light

Currently in Exile
    Crankbros haters, count me among them. Hope your mileage is better than most.

Those wheels do look cool though. Seriously, let us know how they are holding up a year from now. I have looked at those wheels a few times, but have never pulled the trigger due to less than stellar experiences with other CB products. I ended up building a wheel set with Stan's Crest rims and Hope hubs with DT Revolution spokes & AL nipples. They don't look as cool, but I know they will last a good long time.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailuropoda View Post
    Got my new Iodine 3 All-mountain wheelset a few weeks ago and have been running them on my Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite.

Very nice wheels, so far. Very stiff, at least they feel a lot stiffer than the horrible DT Swiss/Roval wheelset with the self-destructing bearings that come with many Specialized bikes.

The twin-pair spoke layout seems to work really well. I weigh 240 pounds and have pulled some Gs on them without the squishiness a clyde like me has come to expect in his wheels.

Lighter, too. I don't have a scale but just by feel the stripped rear wheel felt appreciably lighter.

On another note, because there are no holes in the rim they set up for tubeless use very easily. Both tires also inflated easily with only a hand pump and some soap solution.

And they look kind of cool.

Naturally it's hard to judge wheels fairly. A lot of things effect the ride including suspension, tires, and terrain. But they only thing I switched was the wheels and the bike seems to both roll and handle better.

Yes, I took the dropper post off. Don't really need it much in Louisiana.

Crankbrother Mallet pedals, too. Really like them.

I got thee wheels through Crankbrother's upgrade program. They retail for about $900 but they sell them for $600.

The only drawback so far is that for the money I spent I could have bought three Wal Mart mountain bikes which everyone knows are all you really need to ride most trails.
    buy two spare spoke/nipple assemblies and if you travel take them with you.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    I've seen more rim failures than spoke failures with CB wheels, but I also suggest getting some extra spokes, even if you don't travel.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmack View Post
    OH NO!!!!! You mentioned the 'C-word.' Prepare yourself for the haters!

Crank Bros. well earned bad reputation precedes them. If they cannot build a set of pedals that will last in excess of thirty miles, why should anyone even consider something as critical as a set of wheels from them?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ View Post
    Crank Bros. well earned bad reputation precedes them. If they cannot build a set of pedals that will last in excess of thirty miles, why should anyone even consider something as critical as a set of wheels from them?
    You are such a bully. Its no wonder santa just takes a dump in a stocking and leaves it on your doorstep.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    You are such a bully. Its no wonder santa just takes a dump in a stocking and leaves it on your doorstep.

Why am I a bully for telling the truth?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    If Crank Bros are so bad and have such a high failure rate why does Hans Rey use them?
    2016 Trek Farley 5
    2013 Trek Rumblefish Elite
    2013 Trek 3500
    2011 Trek Mamba

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodyToe View Post
    If Crank Bros are so bad and have such a high failure rate why does Hans Rey use them?

Might have something to do with his endorsement contract.

Big Mac

Wow. Really? You think he chooses and uses the bestest stuff out there?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I didn't say he uses the best stuff out there. Someone as talented as him could ride for anyone, regardless of contracts, if his equipment was failing all the time he would not continue to use it.
    2016 Trek Farley 5
    2013 Trek Rumblefish Elite
    2013 Trek 3500
    2011 Trek Mamba

AZ
    banned
    I didn't say he uses the best stuff out there. Someone as talented as him could ride for anyone, regardless of contracts, if his equipment was failing all the time he would not continue to use it.

Or they just replace them every day like most other users have to.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    For those who didn't see this in the Wheels & Tires forum

Team-Robot: BREAKING NEWS!!! from TEAM ROBOT

Big Mac

He's old, but has marketed himself well. At one point he was a viable and important player in the game. But largely, he created himself a niche, as a "travel writer/cyclist. Point being, he's really not relevant anymore and probably takes what he can get. I really don't think he "could ride for anyone". Nonetheless, I reckon he carries buckets full of pedals with him. Or more likely someone carries them for him.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post

Thats awesome.. i didnt have to add my usual snarky comments

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Over this side, they've got a reputation for making beautifully designed stuff that just doesn't cope with UK weather/riding conditions. Which is a pity, as I'd have been interested in a set of Cobalt wheels.

Anyway, aren't they meant to have improved sealing etc. recently?

mtbr member

Re: Speaking of Crankbrothers

Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post

Great read!

SS Pusher Man
    Let the haters......hate.

Said it before....will say it again. Put 5000 miles on a set of Iodine 3 29er wheels the last year and a half. No issues to speak of. Even pulled a branch through the wheel that would have snapped a traditional spoked wheel. Mounted up tubeless with ease.

Just got a set of Cobalt 11 29's that I am trying out....again no issues so far.

Also running a couple of different bars....carbon and Al......did bend the Al bar, but it was a pretty spectacular crash.

No experience with their pedals....SPD's for life.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

mtbr member

I have a pair of candy 1's with about 4000 miles on them. I have never tried their other stuff but I like the pedals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doc Holiday
    May 2010
    Well all i can say is i ripped on a pair of 2010 iodines with upgraded free hub for 3 years with not a single issue..Thats me at 195lb with gear on trails such as my hometown in Canmore, Banff, Moose Mountain, and the shore...I do admit they've had or have some issues (Kronolog),pedals, but so does every company....Look at sram and the garbage brakes they produce..{nothing but issues for me and a lot of my riding buddies]. Look at the hub issues with the Easton haven's...Personally ,i'll be upgrading to to the 2014 iodines for my am 29er without a second thought.. At the end of the day, until i have issues with a company and they aren't willing to make it right ill continue to sift through the good and the bad and make my component choices accordingly....

Have a gooder gents!!!

Doc Holiday
    May 2010
    Cuz he gets paid the bucks to do so...Not to mention the perks of FREE...He's been on them for awhile..Same with Schley...

I've had no issues with the upgraded freehub(2010-up)...

Doc Holiday
    May 2010
    Or they just replace them every day like most other users have to.
    Are you sure your not thinking of the pre 2010 versions?? I have the updated free hub and have abused for 3 years...Hucks to flat and all...Other than some anodize coming off they've been solid..

Doc Holiday
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenspokes View Post
    Crankbros haters, count me among them. Hope your mileage is better than most.

Those wheels do look cool though. Seriously, let us know how they are holding up a year from now. I have looked at those wheels a few times, but have never pulled the trigger due to less than stellar experiences with other CB products. I ended up building a wheel set with Stan's Crest rims and Hope hubs with DT Revolution spokes & AL nipples. They don't look as cool, but I know they will last a good long time.

I agree i had a dropper 4 from them that lasted a year....I have the idione 3 stem, and bars, as well as a pair of iodine wheels with the upgraded free hub (2010). Been on them 3 years with no issues other than some anodize wear...I seriously can't fault the newer versions... There's always the hater arguments though..You should check the 2014 versions if you haven't already..They widened the rim by 2mm and got them more stiff by 15% (believe that was the percentage)..

Either way i've never had an issue...

Doc Holiday
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    He's old, but has marketed himself well. At one point he was a viable and important player in the game. But largely, he created himself a niche, as a "travel writer/cyclist. Point being, he's really not relevant anymore and probably takes what he can get. I really don't think he "could ride for anyone". Nonetheless, I reckon he carries buckets full of pedals with him. Or more likely someone carries them for him.

Yep Hans is old ! But his trials skills would still destroy most youngins..He's better than a ton half his age...Some of us pushing 40 riders still have something to look up to with Han's still in the game. No doubt...

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Haters? Nah. Some of us are speaking from a little experience. Ride 'em if you like 'em though.

My personal experience is the couple multi-tools (advertised and sold as stainless) I've tried from them turned into rusty buckets of crap very quickly. The Lezyne I have now works better, and has yet to show signs of rust. The one mini-pump I tried sucked. Badly. Tried one of their headsets, and it crapped out in pretty short order as well. I've never destroyed a single other headset in many years of riding.

I have seen more of their pedals broken and unusable in some way than any other kind of pedal, in person, not just on the web. If I wanted that type of design, I'd go Time all the way.

That's enough for me. No way I'd want to run one of their posts, stems, or wheels.

As for the wheels, I'd do up a custom build on a set of Hadley hubs and come in at less money, with way more durabilty and without proprietary rim/spoke/nipple stuff to potentially have a headache with.

Shall we talk about how bad their dropper posts have been?
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Doc Holiday
    May 2010
    I agree droppers pretty bad....Pedals. No issues...Iodines with updated hub also = 0 issues since 2010....Not even a Truing session!! I will say though. It will be a feat for crankbrothers to rid themselves of the reputation as of late. But the 2014 wheels seem to be improved upon even further!!!

I have 0 complaints with the iodine wheelset...

Also i sent in a pair of candy 2's to them, and with a small phone call accompanied by a bit of *****ing. I ended getting a pair of candy 11's sent to me at no additional cost....Those have been holding up well...

They do have good customer service. Along with that make it right attitude that i can't fault them for..

Cheers..

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Their customer service is excellent. I broke the spindle of a four-year-old pair of mallets and broke a spring on another pair of mallets while hitting a rock. In both cases I mailed them the pedals and they repaired them essentially no questions asked.

The spindle was probably from lack of maintenance on my part, too.

Perception of companies is highly variable. I have had 12 sets of Avid Elixir brakes in the last five years and have had no problems with them to speak of. To listen to the forum would be to believe that they all self-destruct immediately.