mtbr member
    Feb 2008

snow goggles for mtb?

I rode my bike in light snow for the first time tonight. The only weird part was snow particles hitting me in the face around my eyes which was a bit uncomfortable and disorienting. Can you recommend any eyewear which is good for riding in the snow? My first impression would be some large clear Oakley lenses. Is any special treatment required on the front to help shed snow? Is there another brand of eyewear for night snow protection which is popular on this forum?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Just some riding glasses. I use my glasses since I wear perspection. Goggles are way way too hot for anything above -20 in my experience and fog easy. When it's actually cold snow, it doesn't melt, just bounces off and you are fine. If it's nasty 32 degrees wet and melting snow, you are screwed no matter what you do. Having the lenses be as clean as possible helps to prevent fogging, anti-fog coatings/wax helps a bit. Having a lot of internal heat is very bad for fog, so you want clothes you can unzip, cool off with, not too much stuff on your head, etc. If you do, you'll fog up as soon as you stop. You'll still do it sometimes when it's cold, but it won't be as bad if you aren't over-dressed.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

the discerning hooligan
    Jayem hit it all. I just couldn't make glasses work in the winter because of the fogging. Using a helmet with a longer visor helps. Squinting is a good strategy too.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

mtbr member
    Agree with Jayem...goggles fog easily. I have tried ski goggles for rides in single digits but as soon as you get a froth going they will fog. I have found glasses can vary because everyone's face is different. Try to find a pair of glasses that conforms to your face best.

Riding is tough on glasses so I don't spend big bucks on 'designer' eyewear. I've always had good luck with Home Depot or auto parts stores and trying on various safety glasses...lot's to choose from and price is right. Once I find a pair that fits right I get a couple.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by titus View Post
    ... snow particles hitting me in the face around my eyes which was a bit uncomfortable and disorienting...
    You definitely need a new pair.
    Do the math.

Music & Bikes
    I use ski helmet + ski goggles in winter when under -10C.
    Have been using/riding goggles for 20 years + in winter.

Lots and lots and loads of models to choose from that don't fog.
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I use tinted ski goggles with vents on the sides so they don't fog. I don't like to ride in temperatures colder than 15F. I've ridden on a frozen lake in near whiteout condition and the goggles helped me keep my eyes open.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Decent bike glasses. Take them off when you stop. I've had no luck with cheaper safety glasses. The fog very easily.

Elitest thrill junkie
    The other thing is you can work your clothing in the cold temps so the area around your eyes is what exchanges heat with the outside environment, meaning there's heat coming from under the balaclava and around that helps keep your eyes warm enough, so that you don't need goggles. Goggles are hit and miss, if your environmental conditions are right, you'll be fine. If they are another way, everything will fog and there's no "anti-fog" device that's proven to be 100% effective yet in those conditions.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I use my Anon snowboard goggles with no problems. If I stop they'll start to fog but as long as I'm moving they're fine. My eyes tear really easily starting around 50 or so and goggles work much better than glasses for me. Out here lots of guys wear goggles through summer for the dust.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Candlestick Maker
    I use my regular riding glasses or goggles, depending on the temp and amount of snow coming down.

In actual cold weather (20F or below) or heavy snow, I ride with ski goggles and a ski helmet here in Colorado. Works great, way better than any cycling glasses I've tried. No fogging and this setup keeps me nice and toasty.

As far as brand/style...whatever I happen to have for downhill skiing that season, ha. Currently Smith goggles of some type.
    baker

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ddoh View Post
    Decent bike glasses. Take them off when you stop. I've had no luck with cheaper safety glasses. The fog very easily.
    This is me. I found Oakley Jawbones fit me really well. "Just right" coverage, pretty good ventilation. If they do fog when I stop (under some conditions, it's just gonna happen), I take them off. voila, no fog.

Had to do that the other day. Riding buddy flatted on a long, chunky downhill. Just a puncture, but he was riding his brother's bike that day and his brother's stan's was dried up. We had to stop and repair. I carry extra sealant for just such a case, so we got it back up and running without unmounting the tire. But my glasses started to fog. So I took 'em off.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by fokof View Post
    I use ski helmet + ski goggles in winter when under -10C.
    Have been using/riding goggles for 20 years + in winter.

Lots and lots and loads of models to choose from that don't fog.
    x2.

That is my EXACT cut off temp-wise as well. Minus 10. Pretty much the exact same time I have been winter riding as well. Freaky.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    The other thing is you can work your clothing in the cold temps so the area around your eyes is what exchanges heat with the outside environment, meaning there's heat coming from under the balaclava and around that helps keep your eyes warm enough, so that you don't need goggles. Goggles are hit and miss, if your environmental conditions are right, you'll be fine. If they are another way, everything will fog and there's no "anti-fog" device that's proven to be 100% effective yet in those conditions.
    Needless to say, it's one or the other. I know this is not what you said, but for clarity, this is not a good strategy with goggles.

Warm exhaled air rising upwards is PRECISELY what fogs my goggles. I do everything possible to prevent this when wearing goggles. The neoprene face masks with the nose hole pointed downwards, and small perforations in front of the mouth, works best for me in keeping my face warm and free from frost bite, and warm air away from my goggles.