• 01-22-2004
    MTB_Sam
    Snickers Marathon Energy Bar? Any Good?
    I just saw a commercial for the Snickers Marathon Energy Bar it looks good. :D Anybody tried it? Any Good? where can i get them?

Thanks-
    Sam
  • 01-22-2004
    noslogan
    Tastes Great.....
    Terrible in warm weather if your gonna ride with one.
    Fancy science stuff, I don't know.
    I could eat an Ultimate from Yack in the Sack before an epic OR a race.
  • 01-22-2004
    imjps
    Snickers: Original Power Bar
    To me, Snickers is the Original Power Bar. Why do they want to bring that out?
  • 01-23-2004
    Srexy
    That's a strange name - almost a tautology seeing as how they were/are called Marathon bars in the UK.
  • 01-23-2004
    DoctorJD
    They are alright for an preride or afternoon snack...
    but I couldn't imagine it lasting very long in my camelback on a hot day. I really tastes good though, like a candy bar. Makes you wonder about their "actual" nutritional value though. I'll stick with my Cliff bars when I'm on the trail.
  • 01-23-2004
    DoctorJD
    Uhhh, that's "it" not "I" tastes like...
    ...a candy bar. :D
  • 01-23-2004
    Casual Observer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NRSDude
    I just saw a commercial for the Snickers Marathon Energy Bar it looks good. :D Anybody tried it? Any Good? where can i get them?

Thanks-
    Sam

Any Circle K sells them here, but you do know it's a marketing gimic, don't you? If you're looking for a quick, cheap energy fix, you can't beat Pop Tarts.
  • 01-23-2004
    george_da_trog
    Quote:

Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    , you can't beat Pop Tarts.

Known a few 24 Hour race teams that made it through with Pop Tarts. Although my favorite 24 Hour food story was when I saw a vid clip of Stamstead grabbing a hand full of bologna and stuffed in the back of his jersey pocket before heading out on the next lap.

george
  • 01-23-2004
    george_da_trog
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DoctorJD
    Makes you wonder about their "actual" nutritional value though. I'll stick with my Cliff bars when I'm on the trail.

Love Cliff bars, but do any energy bars have actual nutritional value, and do you need nutritional value on the trail. It's just carbs energy, salts, and maybe some caffeine.

george
  • 01-23-2004
    Casual Observer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by george_da_trog
    Known a few 24 Hour race teams that made it through with Pop Tarts. Although my favorite 24 Hour food story was when I saw a vid clip of Stamstead grabbing a hand full of bologna and stuffed in the back of his jersey pocket before heading out on the next lap.

george

There was a soloist who did the 24 hrs of Old Pueblo I guess 2 years ago who had his support hand him a PB and J before every lap. I believe he did something like 17-19 laps (he came in second). I'm not sure I could eat 19 PB and Js, but it sure as well would be fun trying :-)
  • 01-23-2004
    brucerobs
    Taste Good but melts
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NRSDude

Thanks-
    Sam

I just got a couple of freebies to try since I like Snickers bars. They taste good as you'd expect, seem to have some protein and other good stuff, but they melt like the glorified candy bar that they are. I ma kind of a fan of the nutty Clif type bars.
  • 01-23-2004
    Ghostrider
    Tried it and it was good.
    Taste was good not as tasty as the regular snickers but good. As far as energy I couldn't really tell as I chased it down with a Red Bull. When riding I will most likely stick with Gu.
  • 01-24-2004
    fonseca
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DoctorJD
    but I couldn't imagine it lasting very long in my camelback on a hot day. I really tastes good though, like a candy bar. Makes you wonder about their "actual" nutritional value though. I'll stick with my Cliff bars when I'm on the trail.

It is a candy bar.

Check out the main ingredients. Sugar, corn syrup, partially hydrogenated oil.

I'll stick with Clif bars too. No sugar crash.
  • 01-24-2004
    Lucky
    Pop Tarts
    Quote:

Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Any Circle K sells them here, but you do know it's a marketing gimic, don't you? If you're looking for a quick, cheap energy fix, you can't beat Pop Tarts.

I used to ride with a guy who thought nothing of going out for 120 miles just for a spin. I wanted to borrow his scanner one winter, so he wrapped it up, strapped it to the rack on his commuter bike and pedaled 30 or 40 miles in 20 degree to deliver it. "It was an excuse to go for a ride". Anyway, on road rides when we'd stop for fuel at a convenience store, he'd go for the chocolate frosted Poptarts, rip open the package an munch on 'em two at a time.

Kathy :^)