mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Slider dropouts and boost to not boost

I am considering getting a new hard tail frame that has slider dropouts and boost spacing. I have a non boost wheel that I would like to use. Is this possible? I have seen the hub kits that turn 142s into 148s but I donít think that is needed here. I donít think it is needed because slider drop outs have the disc tabs on them. It seems I could just slap the wheel in and call it done - like Surly does. I do wonder if that fatigues the triangle to much. Another thought would be to put washers between the drop out and the slider to move everything inboard as needed?

What have others done?

mtbr member
    Many of the sliding dropout designs are interchangeable. I would ask the manufacturer. It's likely that Paragon sliders will fit in Kona frames, for example. There's a ton of this kind of discussion and experience in the Singlespeed forum, btw.

Always in the wrong gear
    My understanding of the situation and experience with sliders, is that a boost frame can easily accept a non boost wheel with the 'spacer kit', either with one made by the hub brand (or wolftooth or MRP), or one of the eBay spacer kits (basically two 3mm thick spacers, and a 3mm disc spacer.

It is not a good idea to jam a boost wheel into a non-boost frame.

Per the owner of Vassago cycles, no one has made a retro kit to turn a 142 slider frame into a 148 frame.
    I don't see why it couldn't be done, I've looked pretty hard at my Paragon sliders and don't think it should be hard to make each axle pocket 3mm deeper, (or offset to accomodate cassette clearance) and then move the caliper mount outboard the appropriate amount.
    I'm sure there's a good reason, one realized by folks much smarter than me, but looking at a slider on my bike, it seems like it would be doable.

FWIW, I've been using an eBay washer kit on the front for over a year, because Hadley *JUST* started making 100 to 110 front hub kits, I'll be ordering one from Balle Racing as soon as Erik has them.
    My frame is 142, but if my frame was a 148, and my wheel was 142, I would 100% use the spacers, and not try to pinch it and "call it good".
    The spacer kit is like like $25 and works well.
    Donít modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

mtbr member
    Chumba has the Stella frame as a 142 or 148. I am not sure if they are making two different frames, or they are just bolting different dropouts on the same frame. it would be worth asking them.

Salsa Alternator dropouts allow you to run 135, 142, or 148 axles and even Rohloff hubs on the same frame.

it seems like it should not be that hard to make a 142x12 frame work with a 148 hub if you have sliders that create enough room. I too would be hesitant to shove a 148 axle in a 142 frame, based on others' experience with BMX bikes and trying to shove a 112 axle (foolishness from Profile) in a 110 spaced frame.
    Last edited by mack_turtle; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:52 AM.

Combat Wombat
    Surly does not use sliding dropouts. Their Gnot-Boost system is basically horizontal dropouts designed to allow the stays to flex enough to accommodate different width axles. A very simple design that works well because of the nature of the interface between the axle and frame. With the sliding dropout, you are running an axle through two aluminum sliders, that are bolted onto the frame in a way designed to fit very secure and flush. I can't speak for all sliding dropout frames, but the stays on my Unit are pretty stout. If you managed to not crack the aluminum sliders when squeezing them down to a 142 axle, I think you would be on borrowed time. Trying to add washers between the frame and sliders also sounds like a recipe for disaster.

As Mack suggested, see if you can get 142 specific sliders for your frame. That is an option on my Canfield Nimble 9 boost frame, so it has been done before. Either that or a hub spacer kit. Maybe just buy a Surly frame and like you said....call it done.

mtbr member
    Last time I checked, Canfield was out of 142 sliders for their frames and seemed to have no intention of making more.

Combat Wombat
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    Last time I checked, Canfield was out of 142 sliders for their frames and seemed to have no intention of making more.
    Not surprised, seemed to be a popular option. When I bought my frame, it would have been nice to use a set of DT Swiss 350 hubs I have had sitting in the garage for a couple years. Been doing a crazy amount of OT at work the last 3-4 months, so I decided to splurge and bought a set of boost orange Hope Pro 4s.

mtbr member
    Are you not surprised that Canfield abandoned the 142 axle option? Seems weird, considering how many people buy bare frames from them and use old parts to build them up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    This thread can be closed. The frame in question is a RSD Middlechild. They told me to just get a shorter axle. Makes sense since steel is forgiving.

Thank you for all of the input.