Sit bone issue.........- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Sit bone issue.........

I have searched and cannot find anything on this. I have what feels like a tendon/ligament that is under my left sit bone that I roll over and it hurts like hell. It literally feels like I am sitting on a small rubber tube that I can feel pushing to the side/popping over when moving. I have to sit off to one side to not irritate it? Anyone know what the hell it is? Siatica nerve? Tendon? Ligament?

T

I4NI
    Had all the same issues plus numbness in my MAIN ORGANS My answer was a WTB Silverado seat that is slightly turned to a right angle.
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by S_Trek
    Had all the same issues plus numbness in my MAIN ORGANS My answer was a WTB Silverado seat that is slightly turned to a right angle.
    Did you figure out what it was? Is it a nerve?

T

I4NI
    No, the pain/numbness did go away to a certain degree when riding different bikes and saddles. I did learn a expensive lesson. Soft saddles are ok for short rides but harder saddles are a must for longer rides

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Depending on what is cheaper over the short term (ppo insurance deductible vs buying multiple seats) you may want to see sports doctor.

mtbr member
    I'm a Certified Athletic Trainer. I'm not 100% sure what "bone" you mean when you say "sit bone" but I'm guessing your referring to your left ischial tuberosity wich is located just under your "butt cheek" and is usuall palpable when in a seated position. It is where your hamstrings tendon originate. You could have ischial tendonitis or bursitis. But the sciatic nerve can be palpated in that area as well so I'm gonna take a shot in the dark here and say you probably irritated the nerve. If your having numbness, tingling, burning sensation down your leg and possibly up in low back I would say that is your culprit. Try some hamstring stretches and ice or cold packs (15-20 minutes), and some Ibuprofen and you should be good in a few days. It has a tendancy to get reiritated so I would invest in some good bike shorts (you can wear them under your regular shorts if you don't like the look) and upgrade your seat. See product reviews from mtbr for some advice on those products. If symptoms progress even after these I would get a referral from your doctor to see a physical therapist.

I4NI
    Quote Originally Posted by B_RADICAL
    I'm a Certified Athletic Trainer. I'm not 100% sure what "bone" you mean when you say "sit bone" but I'm guessing your referring to your left ischial tuberosity wich is located just under your "butt cheek" and is usuall palpable when in a seated position. It is where your hamstrings tendon originate. You could have ischial tendonitis or bursitis. But the sciatic nerve can be palpated in that area as well so I'm gonna take a shot in the dark here and say you probably irritated the nerve. If your having numbness, tingling, burning sensation down your leg and possibly up in low back I would say that is your culprit. Try some hamstring stretches and ice or cold packs (15-20 minutes), and some Ibuprofen and you should be good in a few days. It has a tendancy to get reiritated so I would invest in some good bike shorts (you can wear them under your regular shorts if you don't like the look) and upgrade your seat. See product reviews from mtbr for some advice on those products. If symptoms progress even after these I would get a referral from your doctor to see a physical therapist.

You sound like my wife Did/do everything you mentioned except the shorts. I guess this baggie short guy is gonna have to get spandex and wear my baggies over them.

M_US_E30 Guess we got our answer!

B_RADICAL

~Disc~Golf~
    I'm a Certified Athletic Trainer. I'm not 100% sure what "bone" you mean when you say "sit bone" but I'm guessing your referring to your left ischial tuberosity ...
    Correct - the IT's are commonly called sit-bones because when you say "you need to get a saddle that fits to your Ischial Tuberosities". , People go:
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I wear bike shorts and I have a Phenom 143. When I measured myself with the gadget at the bike shop this size was recommended.

I am not getting any numbness, just long ride pain and the occasional popping across this "lagament/tendon/nerve" that is under my sit bone. It is only on the left side.

It's like this; hold your left hand out flat with fingers extended now pinch your left hand below the knuckle of your middle finger with your right thumb on top and right middle finger underneath. Now roll over that tendon and pop it with your thumb on top. This is what my sitbone is doing on my seat. Why does the right side not have this issue?

T

I4NI
    Quote Originally Posted by M_US_E30
    I wear bike shorts and I have a Phenom 143. When I measured myself with the gadget at the bike shop this size was recommended.

I am not getting any numbness, just long ride pain and the occasional popping across this "lagament/tendon/nerve" that is under my sit bone. It is only on the left side.

It's like this; hold your left hand out flat with fingers extended now pinch your left hand below the knuckle of your middle finger with your right thumb on top and right middle finger underneath. Now roll over that tendon and pop it with your thumb on top. This is what my sitbone is doing on my seat. Why does the right side not have this issue?

T

Try to adjust your seat to a slight right angle like I mentioned above. It worked for me by carrying more weight on my right cheek. Maybe you might have to adjust your saddle/seat in the other direction(Everyones different)

I4NI
    Now if I can get my chaffing issue in check.

suck it trebeK
    Bumping an old thread here, but this is the only discussion I can find anywhere about this. I have the same problem, the sensation of my sit bones rolling over 'tendons' as I move around. Happens while rowing especially. I don't get numbness, pains and tingling, just discomfort that can lead to pain over long term exercise.

Looking for others hopefully that have experienced this as well and what they did about it??

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sstaurus View Post
    Bumping an old thread here, but this is the only discussion I can find anywhere about this. I have the same problem, the sensation of my sit bones rolling over 'tendons' as I move around. Happens while rowing especially. I don't get numbness, pains and tingling, just discomfort that can lead to pain over long term exercise.

Looking for others hopefully that have experienced this as well and what they did about it??
    I cured it by doing heavy squats and building muscle in the glutes. No more steady state cardio (there is no cardio in nature) so the muscle gains were easy. Most mtn bike rides are sprints uphill with recovery downhill.

Get in a paleo high fat diet and do a strength training program. Get rid of those stupid carbs and chronic cardio.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by M_US_E30 View Post
    (there is no cardio in nature)
    ???

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    ???
    In nature there is no cardio means long distance endurance cardio is unnatural and bad for you. I was referring to those who do endurance chronic cardio and have sit bone problems. It's because they have no muscle mass in the ass. Quit the cortisol muscle wasting cardio and lift weights (squats) and sprint (mountain bike). No more running, jogging, road bike, triathlon, marathon etc. Its very bad for you.

T

mtbr member
    U got me on the "bad for you" part.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Settertude View Post
    U got me on the "bad for you" part.
    It is bad for you to do any extended cardio above a walking pace. You might want to do some research on hormesis, cortisol production inns stressed environment and evolutionary biology.

What do you think the difference between chronic stress and chronic cardio are? Nothing. The body doesn't know the difference.

Women: Running into Trouble

There are numerous ways that chronic stress err cardio will ruin your endocrine (hormones) system.

T

mtbr member
    In nature there is no cardio means long distance endurance cardio is unnatural and bad for you.
    T

You might want to let these guys in on that- Human Mammal, Human Hunter - Attenborough - Life of Mammals - BBC - YouTube., or the Tarahumaras, or the Apaches, or any one of thousands of species of animals who have existed for millennium utilizing long distance cardio endurance without the benefit of you informing them that it is "not natural".

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    You might want to let these guys in on that- Human Mammal, Human Hunter - Attenborough - Life of Mammals - BBC - YouTube., or the Tarahumaras, or the Apaches, or any one of thousands of species of animals who have existed for millennium utilizing long distance cardio endurance without the benefit of you informing them that it is "not natural".
    THere is a huge difference in tracking an animal (slow methodical walking with spouts of complete stillness) to exhaustion and then using a final sprint to catch/kill it and then drag it back to base camp Vs. getting up everyday and running steady at above walking pace heart rate for hours and miles on end. Sorry, the human would never waste energy for no reason. Either it was to hunt, build shelter, or play. No endurance training.

I would recommend investing some time with all the recent ancestral biology research that is in complete disagreement with everything everyone has been made to believe about exercise and nutrition.

A Case Against Cardio (from a former mileage king) | Mark's Daily Apple

Henry, J.P. Biological basis of the stress response. NIPS 8: 69-73, 1993

Rosmond, R., M.F. Dallman, & P. Bjorntorp. Stress-related cortisol secretion in men: relationships with abdominal obesity and endocrine, metabolic, and hemodynamic abnormalities. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism
    83: 1853-1859, 1998.

Go have a read of Robb Wolf, Chris Kresser, Matt Lalonde, and Loren Cordain. It wont disappoint.

We were not meant to eat grains (can't digest unless processed), drink milk (ever try to milk a wild animal?) or consule legumes (toxic unless prepared correctly).

T

mtbr member
    THere is a huge difference in tracking an animal (slow methodical walking with spouts of complete stillness) to exhaustion and then using a final sprint to catch/kill it and then drag it back to base camp Vs. getting up everyday and running steady at above walking pace heart rate for hours and miles on end.

You obviously didn't watch the vid., that dude ran down that animal for hours until it literally fell over from exhaustion. You say things that humans and other animals have been doing for thousands of years is unnatural yet advocate lifting weights that don't need moved? You think that was "natural" for people to do 20,000 years ago?

I'm no proponent of ultra-marathon sports but to suggest that wholesome exercise is unhealthy is asinine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    You obviously didn't watch the vid., that dude ran down that animal for hours until it literally fell over from exhaustion. You say things that humans and other animals have been doing for thousands of years is unnatural yet advocate lifting weights that don't need moved? You think that was "natural" for people to do 20,000 years ago?

I'm no proponent of ultra-marathon sports but to suggest that wholesome exercise is unhealthy is asinine.
    Wholesome exercise. What is your definition of that? Mine has already been stated:

Lift Heavy things
    walk a lot
    sprint once in a while
    play

First of all he didn't run for hours, there was walking and stopping and searching etc. Second he doesn't do that everyday like CHRONIC cardio that millions of people think is good for you. He does that once in a while (probably less than once a month) for SURVIVAL, very much different than CHRONIC cardio everyday. Read my links and study the science.

It is very un-natural to tap into your fight or flight hormone response everyday for hours on end. The constant flood of cortisol will cause all kinds of issues of which insulin resistance is the killer. Same with flooding your body with sugar over and over and over all day long. Same effect, insulin resistance, inflammation.

Did you know that the metabolic state of a runner after a marathon is the same as a Type 2 diabetic? When those people do training for this week after week year after year it is unnatural and very bad for your health. Our brain and CVS have no idea what is going on and just keeps flooding the system with cortisol...... No disputing it. All the research is there.

I watched your video and know about the hunter gatherer tribes and how they hunt. I stated this in my first post. Now how about read all my links, research and information and lets see what you have to say after that.

Heres and quote from the wiki page:

"The Tarahumara also use the toe strike method of running, which is natural for barefoot running. The long-distance running tradition also has ceremonial and competitive aspects. Often, men kick wooden balls as they run in "foot throwing", or rarajipari competitions, and women use a stick and hoop. The foot throwing races are relays where the balls are kicked by the runners and relayed to the next runner while teammates run ahead to the next relay point. These races can last anywhere from a few hours to a couple of days without a break.
    Pre-tool humans may have used persistence hunting universally to hunt prey. Humans in excellent physical shape, given the time, can outrun quadrupeds, which slow down when fleeing over long distances and lose their ability to pant while running.[33]"

You think they go out and run everyday like this like people on treadmills and road bikes? No. They do it every once and a while. Mostly for survival, which will create a hormetic response. If done in a chronic fashion, hormesis will not happen anymore and the endocrine system will just quit producing insulin. Bad things happen.

There is no cardio in nature.

T

mtbr member
    Dang We just got into bike riding for the cardio low impact nature of it...So your saying its better to just stay home and walk back and forth to my kegorator?...Cool I knew I was on the right path all along! Thanks Mate!
    My ride...Pro Flex Beast
    Wife's ride...Diamondback DBR-XR8

mtbr member
    In nature there is no cardio means long distance endurance cardio is unnatural and bad for you.
    Interesting discussion. I will withhold my opinion and try to learn from this thread for now. I would point out however, that saying cardio is not healthy is different than saying that "there is no cardio in nature."

I think we would have to have a more specific definition of cardio first of all.
    I think that a normal day of many less "modern" humans would consist of many hours of walking, carrying stuff, and climbing up hills, etc, and in general, breathing hard for much longer than your average gym rat's 30 minutes on the treadmill. What we call "cardio", in terms of elevated heartrate, was all through history, just normal.

On the other other hand, how beneficial this is for overall health, or what the best overall exercise scheme for health may be debatable.
    I'd like to hear more about that, but saying "there is no cardio in nature" seems to be a bit of a misstatement.

mtbr member
    there is no cardio in nature

I suppose this statement irks me some. First of all cardio is not even a word, and if you mean cardiovascular exercise then that's the phrase you should use. Secondly I take offense when someone excludes 99.9% of all life forms when mentioning nature.

Wolves routinely travel 50 miles a day in search of food.
    Arctic terns fly 40,00 miles each year.
    Honey bees fly up to 5 miles from their hive in search of nectar and can visit several thousand flowers in one day.
    The Bar-tailed gotwit can fly 14,000 miles in 8 days- without stopping once!

There are hundreds of other examples as well but I think you get my drift.

Secondly, exercising for health is not a natural act for man nor beast when speaking in historical terms. Recreational time is still a relatively new phenomenon for the human species and we are still sorting out how best to use it IMO.

Arbitrary statements such as mountain biking = O.K. and road biking = bad diminishes any point you were trying to make in reference to cardiovascular exercise being "unnatural" or "bad". I ride (rode) bikes, both mountain and road because it's fun, period. The fact that it makes me feel better in just about every way in mind, body and spirit is just an added benefit. That is what makes cycling one of the best forms of recreation there is in my opinion.

No matter how good it may (or may not) be for me I could never lift weights (unless the weight needed to be moved) because like running on a treadmill it is one of the most joyless chores I could imagine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    All very interesting, but mostly off-topic.

I have this sit-bone issue too, and would be interested to learn if anyone has a solution other than bulking up your butt and adopting a cave-man diet.

Hi There!
    Quote Originally Posted by et01267 View Post

I have this sit-bone issue too, and would be interested to learn if anyone has a solution other than bulking up your butt and adopting a cave-man diet.
    Try different seats...any good LBS will have different test seats for you to try out on your bike.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
    Dang We just got into bike riding for the cardio low impact nature of it...So your saying its better to just stay home and walk back and forth to my kegorator?...Cool I knew I was on the right path all along! Thanks Mate!

Hahaha, where is the 'like' button?

Quote Originally Posted by et01267 View Post

Wish I could offer some advice, but I've never had this experience. However, I wouldn't say I have the most toned ass, so squats don't seem like the best answer to the conundrum. Good luck in your search, but I would definitely say, if you haven't already, that you should measure your sit bones and make sure you have the right saddle for your width. This is worth looking over.

Specialized - Technology

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I cured it by doing heavy squats and building muscle in the glutes. No more steady state cardio (there is no cardio in nature) so the muscle gains were easy. Most mtn bike rides are sprints uphill with recovery downhill.

Get in a paleo high fat diet and do a strength training program. Get rid of those stupid carbs and chronic cardio.
    I've been searching for so long for a cure. I have this problem for 1 year and 2 months. Good to see this thread has been revived.
    Actually I am currently trying to strenghten my glutes because this is the last idea I got from my doctor.
    How long did it take you to feel improvement/pain relief?
    Any favourite exercises?

mtbr member
    Well said. This subject is interesting. My experience of humans over the years has been a seeming need to take ideas past the point of balance.

Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Interesting discussion. I will withhold my opinion and try to learn from this thread for now. I would point out however, that saying cardio is not healthy is different than saying that "there is no cardio in nature."

I think we would have to have a more specific definition of cardio first of all.
    I think that a normal day of many less "modern" humans would consist of many hours of walking, carrying stuff, and climbing up hills, etc, and in general, breathing hard for much longer than your average gym rat's 30 minutes on the treadmill. What we call "cardio", in terms of elevated heartrate, was all through history, just normal.

On the other other hand, how beneficial this is for overall health, or what the best overall exercise scheme for health may be debatable.
    I'd like to hear more about that, but saying "there is no cardio in nature" seems to be a bit of a misstatement.

Members who have read this thread: 0