Sidi SRS soles- Mtbr.com

Thread: Sidi SRS soles

FM
    mtbr member

No good Sidi SRS soles

Does anybody have replacements for a size 44?

I am so dissapointed, after owning probably 15 pairs of Sidi's over the years, and selling hundreds in bike shops... after only one season, my SRS lugs were shot. No problem I thought, I removed them, which involved destroying what was left of them, then called around for replacements. None at any of my LBS's. So, I called Veltec/Sidi- none there either. They suggested calling Cambria, but they also had none.

I've emailed Sidi/Veltec customer support but haven't recieved a response....No replacements and no CS reply.

A $250 pair of shoes that last only one season? No replacements available anywhere in the US it seems? Unbelievable.....

If you have to ask...

I've been through three sets

and my LBS sells them to me at cost, because they can't keep a straight face and ask me for $40. Had I known when I bought the shoes that they would suck so bad, I'd never have gotten them, despite my love for Sidi shoes.
    My old Tecno Fires were so much better in so many ways I can hardly describe my disappointment with the SRS model.

By the way, the replacements don't come with the middle insert, the one under the arch of the foot. I hope you haven't trashed those, because you will need to keep using them.

miles
    It's 7:09 California time

FM
    mtbr member
    yeah, these aren't half the shoes the dominators are. I'm temped to just replace them with some shimano's, especially since there is a small crack in the sole as well... but the uppers are in great shape.
    Bummer about the middle part- I did wreck those removing them. I can shoe-goo that up though.

Who's your local LBS? Perhaps I can have them ship me some. $40 is a lot better than $140 for new shoes...

Quote Originally Posted by miles
    and my LBS sells them to me at cost, because they can't keep a straight face and ask me for $40. Had I known when I bought the shoes that they would suck so bad, I'd never have gotten them, despite my love for Sidi shoes.
    My old Tecno Fires were so much better in so many ways I can hardly describe my disappointment with the SRS model.

By the way, the replacements don't come with the middle insert, the one under the arch of the foot. I hope you haven't trashed those, because you will need to keep using them.

miles

mtbr member
    AAArrgghh!! They SUCK!! And the shoes are just so damn-Sidi-good in everything but those wet-tissue-paper soles!

Now, I'll be the first to admit, if I never got off my bike and walked in the shoes, the soles wouldn't wear out. Yeah, yeah... Anyway, I shredded the toe and forefoot parts of my first set in about 6 months, called Veltec and they were cool enough to comp me a set of the second-generation, higher durometer soles (more grey than silver) which didn't include the arch piece, as Miles notes. Those lasted another six months, and I bought (#[email protected]!!!) another set from Cambria. Those are now shredded and, also as above, Cambria has none.

The new "Dragon" soles are much harder and appear more durable, based on my fondling of them at a SuperGo. They also list at $75 bucks!!

If anyone comes up with a solution, please make it public. I expect Veltec will receive a lot of interest from people that spend serious $$ on a set of shoes that should have at least some of the reliability of say...Dominators.

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

dominators aren't so good either

the new ones have a new buckle design and new way that it attaches to the shoe.

My right one is fine, but I've caught the left buckle on my left crank arm and it basically ripped the plastic piece right off the shoe. it is still on there although I'm currently protecting it ghetto style with some duct tape.

the plastic buckle, although slightly recessed beneath a piece of leather, is a perfect catch for the crank arm. one catch, and you're screwed.

I'm going to take it to a shoe repair person and have him sew on a piece of leather totally covering the plastic piece. that way, the crank will hit the leather but not pull on the buckle.

the failure happend within the first 4 rides on brand new shoes. a 210 dollar shoe should not have that kind of design issue IMHO anyway.

Plus, the buckle kind of sucks now too. it's the same as the buckle on your shoes so you know what I"m talking about.

YR

Dec 2003
    The "old" SRS lugs sucked because the rubber was way too soft.

The "new" SRS lugs, as used on the Dragon, are much, much better.

mtbr member

Yep, I'll be switching brands for this reason...

...as soon as my Dominators wear out (maybe a year or two). I've watched as you and the others in the crew with the SRS have worn out your shoes and it is asinine that Sidi would pull a stunt like this. It has completely changed my view of the company, which is OK as 2004 finds us with lots of viable choices (unlike a few years ago). SRS is shameful. Just shameful. Sidi should be embarrassed, remove the product from the market, issue a public apology, and then pretend it never happenned. It never happenned. Never.

As for the bits not being stocked at the shop where I work, I'll look into it. It seems weird that we don't have them (but I know we don't). I'll let you know if we order some, and if we don't I'll let you know the rationale.

Jeez, one year ago I never would have considered a shoe other than Sidi, nor a drivetrain other than Shimano. Now it's looking like I'll be leaving both when my current bits wear out. Note to Shimano: some people like/need rapidfire shifters AND 8-speed drivetrains-- it would be nice if you would continue to manufacture both.

Thank goodness for SRAM's growth. Hopefully they will learn from Shimano's mistakes and be a little more supportive of current loyal customers, and not sacrifice them on the alter of "progress/innovation" in their quest for the almighty dollar.
    I'll be along... eventually.

FM
    mtbr member
    The dragon srs lugs sound better, but where can they be purchased?

Many shops have offered to order the replacement lugs, but seeing as how veltec doesn't even have them, that could take a while....

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    The "old" SRS lugs sucked because the rubber was way too soft.

The "new" SRS lugs, as used on the Dragon, are much, much better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

veltec sent me new harder soles for free last year...

maybe they ran out.... person i emailed was very nice and mailed me out a set, apologizing for the soft soles. he said he had some left over harder/denser soles from the year prior that he sent me.

these are working out fine...

john

Quote Originally Posted by FM
    Does anybody have replacements for a size 44?

I am so dissapointed, after owning probably 15 pairs of Sidi's over the years, and selling hundreds in bike shops... after only one season, my SRS lugs were shot. No problem I thought, I removed them, which involved destroying what was left of them, then called around for replacements. None at any of my LBS's. So, I called Veltec/Sidi- none there either. They suggested calling Cambria, but they also had none.

I've emailed Sidi/Veltec customer support but haven't recieved a response....No replacements and no CS reply.

A $250 pair of shoes that last only one season? No replacements available anywhere in the US it seems? Unbelievable.....

PITY THE FOOL!
    The SRS has to be the worst thing Sidi has come out with. I've watched my friend struggle with his for a year only to finally bail on them and buy some high end Shimanos. Terrible shoes for the money.

My Dominiators have been great however the buckle is a bit of a pain. My biggest problem is that it's the ultimate grass/weed catcher and half the time I've got to clean all the crap out of the buckle before I can get it to release so I can take the shoes off.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinkin badges!"

Rollin' a fatty
    I have been able to get them at Excel Sports (www.excelsports.com). The SRS soles are so soft that they don't last long and are about $50 for a set plus shipping and tax, imagine a $200 plus pair of shoes that need soles at least once a season is too expensive to even consider.

I got them becasue a ridding buddy brought them from Spain and the cost was less than half the US price so buying soles for the first couple of times wasn't that bad. Where are my SRS's now? Sitting at the garage with the soles worned out and no plans to get a new set, I just got a pair of Diadora Habanero shoes for about the same as the cost of the soles.

If you have to ask...

So, because I dislike my SRS so much

after years and years of di- hard Sidi-ness, I've been trying other shoes. On the Sidis, the buckle sucks big-time, and as YR mentioned above the strap adjuster design is crummy, too. Anyhow, I'm almost due for my fourth set of soles (only the first was the chewing-gum soft type) I've been trying out other brands.
    I bought a pair of Pearl Izumi (a brand I generally have a low opinion of) Vapers, and so far, I absolutely love them. I kinda wish I'd bought the next smaller size, but I have no complaints.
    Until Sidi changes a host of things on their shoes, I'm not buying another pair.

miles
    It's 7:09 California time