Sidi Dominator 5: Lorica or mesh?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Sidi Dominator 5: Lorica or mesh?

I'm looking to buy a pair of Sidi Dominator 5s pretty soon, but I can't decide if I want the version with mesh uppers or the Lorica version (solid upper without mesh). I live in Denver, and while it doesn't get Moab hot here, its not uncommon for summer temps to be upper 90s to low 100s. Does anyone who owns the Lorica version wish they had more ventilation?
    "If you suck, that means I'm better. The more you suck, the better I am. So. Let me count the ways you suck." - Scribb

mtbr member
    Get the mesh then get some insullated shoe covers. Best of both worlds.

May 2007
    I have the mesh and they keep my feet very cool and are comfy as hell.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drainyoo
    I have the mesh and they keep my feet very cool and are comfy as hell.
    I had my doubts that they were *that* much more comfortable than my Specialized Sport shoes...until I tried them on. Holy cow. I guess there's a reason why they're $230 and my Specs are $80.

Another question: Do the mesh versions only come in silver?
    "If you suck, that means I'm better. The more you suck, the better I am. So. Let me count the ways you suck." - Scribb

Big Boned
    The Lorica is tough as nails, great for the Front Range. I wonder whether the mesh could hold up to the same kind of abrasion that Lorica does.

I live up near Idaho Springs, and I ride stuff like Dakota Ridge / Matthews-Winters, White Ranch, etc. all the time -- and I travel each year to hot-ass places like Moab, Austin, Albuquerque, etc. I've never felt like the Loricas were too hot, though they do get a bit toasty at times, it's never been a big problem. I think the one time my feet got uncomfortably hot was when we rode Poison Spider one afternoon in late July -- walking through all that hot sand. With all the sharp rocks around here, the extra protection of the Lorica is nice.

May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelninja
    I had my doubts that they were *that* much more comfortable than my Specialized Sport shoes...until I tried them on. Holy cow. I guess there's a reason why they're $230 and my Specs are $80.

Another question: Do the mesh versions only come in silver?
    Yeah they are really comfortable. I went into my local LBS looking to buy the Bullets and not spend over $150 for shoes but then I tried on the Dom's and I was simply amazed. They feel like my sneakers and are really easy to walk in.

Mine are silver and I've only seen them in that color. Not sure if they come in black. The silver looks sweet though.

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    The only drag about the mesh is that (AFAIK) they don't come in Mega sizes. Those of us with big wide clown feet have to go for the Lorica version.

mtbr member
    Thanks for your opinions, guys. I've gone ahead and bought the mesh version. Man, they fit so much better than my Specialized. Like night and day.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    They hold up well. I have both and like them both except the mesh breathes better in the summer and fills your socks up with dust as well. The only mistake I made was to shove the racheting strap a few more clicks on the inside of the foot to tighten it. Before I realized it, it was hitting my cranks or something and it got ripped. Now I have to find a shoe guy or a Cobbler, as they are called to re-stitch it. I asked my friend if he knew of a local "Cobbler" and he thought I was talking about a pie

So watch that and they will last you a while. Wash them in warm water every now and then and let air dry. Mine are three years old.

Members who have read this thread: 0