Sick of Dog Attacks!- Mtbr.com
    I'll have the milk-steak

Sick of Dog Attacks!

I hope I'm the only one that has to deal with this while riding, but maybe someone can offer me some advice on how to remedy my situation.
    I keep getting attacked by dogs while I'm out riding in the area surrounding Ft. Bragg, NC. Only one of them got me so far and it was minor, but I'm being chased by stray dogs more and more lately and it is un-nerving to say the least.
    I live in Army barracks in the middle of a forest. Whenever animal control come out the dogs run into the woods.
    Is there a safe way to ride with pepper spray or something else (non-lethal) that I could use against them?

Sweep the leg!
    Pepper spray may work, but I use my water bottle to blast them in the nose. If you're really having a wild dog or stray dog issue on post you'll have to contact the MP's if you get hurt and file a report. Documentation is everything in the military (13 years Army myself) and if you were to get hurt to the extent you miss any duty it's best to cover your ass. Especially if the 1st SGT is a tool.

Animal Control isn't going to get it done until someone above the company level tells them to get something done. It may take you running the issue up the chain of command to get them to do more.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

AZ
    banned
    Blast from a water bottle has done me well for many, many years.

since 4/10/2009
    Sounds like those dogs might be more than just "stray". Parts of the country have major problems with feral dogs, and it tends to be in the south more.

Next time you call animal control, tell them you think one was rabid. That should get them off their asses. Bear spray should give you the range and spread to deal with a pack. You can get chest holsters and other convenient carry options for it

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Tybol View Post
    I hope I'm the only one that has to deal with this while riding, but maybe someone can offer me some advice on how to remedy my situation.
    I keep getting attacked by dogs while I'm out riding in the area surrounding Ft. Bragg, NC. Only one of them got me so far and it was minor, but I'm being chased by stray dogs more and more lately and it is un-nerving to say the least.
    I live in Army barracks in the middle of a forest. Whenever animal control come out the dogs run into the woods.
    Is there a safe way to ride with pepper spray or something else (non-lethal) that I could use against them?
    Yup. get some nice bear spray they make it shoot out in an effective defensive pattern...

Make damn sure you know where the stuff is gonna go though.

since 4/10/2009
    Nm damn tapatalk

mtbr member
    See if the armory has anything you can take for a test drive.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by elcaro1101 View Post
    See if the armory has anything you can take for a test drive.
    I was an armory officer as a collateral duty for a while... this suggestion makes me cringe

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    If it is really an issue I would go with the bear spray. I doubt any animal would make the same mistake twice.

Really glad I've never had an issue with dogs. The only dog I have ever encountered that didn't get out of my way was a very young german shepard that stood in the trail and looked at me in total bewilderment until my front wheel nudged him in the ribs. I was mostly stopped by that point, but he didn't like it much. The owner just laughed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I will be getting some bear spray myself and I
    will fit it in a cut out water bottle for easy access.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonecrow View Post
    I will be getting some bear spray myself and I
    will fit it in a cut out water bottle for easy access.
    Get a holster to carry it on your shoulder strap

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    When my dad rode on the road, he filled a water bottle full of straight ammonia, and would squirt aggressive dogs with it. It seemed to work.

mtbr member
    If you don't have spray or the time to engage it this always worked for me - let the dog get relatively close, turn to face it, and yell as loud as you can. I mean a bloodcurdling scream (it must be louder than the dog). That has always worked for me so far in unnerving the dog enough to make your getaway. Most of them whimper and run away with their tail between their legs - big dogs, little dogs, doesn't matter. Now if it really is rabid or is a trained attack dog all bets are off.
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Sounds like a good training routine to make you faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DaggerK1 View Post
    If you don't have spray or the time to engage it this always worked for me - let the dog get relatively close, turn to face it, and yell as loud as you can. I mean a bloodcurdling scream (it must be louder than the dog). That has always worked for me so far in unnerving the dog enough to make your getaway. Most of them whimper and run away with their tail between their legs - big dogs, little dogs, doesn't matter. Now if it really is rabid or is a trained attack dog all bets are off.
    Bets are also off if the dogs are feral like it sounds. This is a matter of staying safe from wild animals not afraid of people, not scaring off an annoyance

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    At night, 200 plus lumens flashlight works if you flash it into their eyes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    paintball!

set it up, lie in wait, and blast 'em.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by chunky1x View Post
    At night, 200 plus lumens flashlight works if you flash it into their eyes.
    This might work well in the day too. Just keep the beam on their face....

2006 Yeti AS-X
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

J:

AZ
    banned
    Just bite one, word will get around.

I'll have the milk-steak
    Yeah, these are feral dogs... One of them killed a kid last year. All the walkers in the neighborhoods surrounding our post and choose to walk with a bat or some sort of club. I am far too cheap for bear spray, but I'll give pepper spray a shot. As long as it isn't a group of them that comes at me I'm pretty confident I could hold my own (against 1 or maybe 2).

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I usually carry one of those keychain sized pepper spray canisters. Sometimes it is in my pocket, sometimes I put a rubber band (the big ones you get when you buy asparagus are great) around my wrist and attach the chain to the band. I hardly ever notice it like that but it is always ready to use.

I always bleed like this.
    If they are on post, (Bragg, Mackall) work the post animal control into doing some poison baiting or the like. You will have to push the "I have been attacked and documented" to make it happen though. You make enough noise and they will respond. And I would carry the hardest hitting most compact paintball/bb/airsoft full auto pistol I could get. I think they are still authorized on post, (check to make sure) and take the opportunity to get some reaction training in.

Is not amused
    Just a friendly reminder.

Pro Crastinator
    MTFU and just kick the fcuk outta that piece of sh!t...

since 4/10/2009
    Yeah, these are feral dogs... One of them killed a kid last year. All the walkers in the neighborhoods surrounding our post and choose to walk with a bat or some sort of club. I am far too cheap for bear spray, but I'll give pepper spray a shot. As long as it isn't a group of them that comes at me I'm pretty confident I could hold my own (against 1 or maybe 2).
    Feral dogs that have attacked and killed a kid and have shown that they are also willing to attack adults need to be rounded up and euthanized. No further questions. Trap and gas them, shoot them, whatever. You need to make some noise about this problem. Native wildlife doesn't even have to do that much to get killed.

mtbr member
    Man, I hear you. I get chased by dogs in my neighborhood from time to time. They jump the wall, and then it starts. I have called animal control, but nothing seems to stop it. Now when I hear dogs bark when I ride by, I instantly get freaked out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    There's an aerosol "Wasp" spray available at Home Depot that's supposed to be effective on various animals. Shoots a narrow jet of spray 5-10 ft. Painful (certainly for wasps).
    Just be careful of wind direction when you use it - meaning you don't want to be shooting it upwind.

I always bleed like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    Just a friendly reminder.

That is not a bazooka. It is the either the baddest Potato Gun I have ever seen or some kind of homemade flame thrower.
    Either way, Props to the mad genius who made that work of art.

Bro Mountainbiker
    What I have found about dogs is pretty funny.

Typically, Cyclists look them in the eye, say "oh ****" and try to immediately outsprint em. This fires up the natural chase instinct in them. They totally feed on that look and then start the chase.

What I do when riding road is I dont ever look at them or acknowledge them in any sort and stop pedaling. Even use your brakes to slowly move to a crawl. Look lackadaisical just easy pedal at about 3 MPH.

As soon as the dog sees you slow down, they loose complete interest and return to sniffing their butts.

98% of dogs I cycle past are guinuinly good natured, only interested in a playful chase.

But the other 2 might actually be Vicious and blood thirsty. In that case, It might be in your best interest to point your bike downhill instead!
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post

Typically, Cyclists look them in the eye, say "oh ****" and try to immediately outsprint em. This fires up the natural chase instinct in them. They totally feed on that look and then start the chase.

What I do when riding road is I dont ever look at them or acknowledge them in any sort and stop pedaling. Even use your brakes to slowly move to a crawl. Look lackadaisical just easy pedal at about 3 MPH.

As soon as the dog sees you slow down, they loose complete interest and return to sniffing their butts.

98% of dogs I cycle past are guinuinly good natured, only interested in a playful chase.

But the other 2 might actually be Vicious and blood thirsty. In that case, It might be in your best interest to point your bike downhill instead!
    Agreed, problem is, you can never be sure!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The ones that don't bark as they run at you are the ones that scare me. I rode past a house while I was touring and the lady was in the process of chaining up her mean pit. It got away from her and ran at me with a quiet determination that told me not to let that one catch up.

mtbr member
    Nowadays I carry a water bottle with me to squirt the pooch in the face. That's usually enough. However my shoes do have 2 screw in cleats that are more like spikes now. I've only had a handful of occasions where I've had to use them..

Tails

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Yup. get some nice bear spray they make it shoot out in an effective defensive pattern...

Make damn sure you know where the stuff is gonna go though.
    This. I have had to use it for dogs and it's pretty decent. I wouldn't use it for bears or lions, except as a last resort due to aspects of how those animals move/how dangerous they can be, but for dog attacks it's pretty decent. They'll still get close to you, but not *that* close, not as close as the person suggesting using his "cleats" to fend off a dog (stupid idea, sorry). If it's an agressive dog, you need something pretty strong. Some of the stuff may even get into your eyes/face, but in my experience it's not too bad (but then again I was in the Army and got exposed to chemicals before ).
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    use "Halt"..I do and it works great..it's like pepper spray but for dogs...your local LBS should carry it...probably "Hawley's" on 401...I always stop my bike put the bike in between me and the animal..and spray the dog...trust me if the dog even gets a little wiff of this stuff it will bother it severely.
    We Can't Stop Here...This Is Bat Country.
    Out Of Step.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Asp

mtbr member
    If you are expecting an onslaught from a canine, you can plan ahead with some easily accessible food items. Toss them out there as they give chase...dogbones, hunks of bologna, bagel bites, what have you. I've witnessed positive results.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

I'll have the milk-steak
    Quote Originally Posted by Dresdenlock View Post
    use "Halt"..I do and it works great..it's like pepper spray but for dogs...your local LBS should carry it...probably "Hawley's" on 401...I always stop my bike put the bike in between me and the animal..and spray the dog...trust me if the dog even gets a little wiff of this stuff it will bother it severely.
    That's funny... I'm actually going to Hawley's after work to pick up my bike (rear brake's pistons stuck out...) I'll see if they carry that stuff.
    Thanks!

Ride Instigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post

Yeahbutt..it's MY instinct and automatic reaction to jump out of the saddle and take off running when I see a dog running towards the road barking. If the dog is up for a playful chase...then I am too.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    You're not the one.. I get chase by dogs and I actually like it.. adrenaline pumper. LOL!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Pepper spray works very well with feral dogs or use your water bottle. If you don't have any other choices, stop and face towards the dogs, hold your bicycle between it and your body, and move backwards slowly. If it attacks you, use your bike to hit it as heavily as possible.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    50 Rounds of 9mm HP at Wal Mart is $13.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    May 2012

Dog attacks

That's why people have leads!

Members who have read this thread: 0