mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Shoulder, neck, arm pain

I am trying to determine if my pain is because of biking. I been riding 6 or 7 days a week for 4 months. Only dirt 8 to 16 miles. Bike is a surly pugs.
    My pain is the tops of my shoulders the sides of a biceps my neck and traps.
    It's in both arms. Is it safe to assume it is from riding?
    Is this a side effect of biking?
    I lean over some when riding. If I put a shorter stem will it help me sitting up more?
    I'm not even sure the pain is from riding.
    But I'm asking is it a thing?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    If you're riding bumpy trails, your arms could be getting a workout that they aren't accustomed to. I'd say it's normal as a beginner or someone out of shape to get some arm, neck soreness.
    If it doesn't go away as you gain strength then that could be a fit issue causing you pain. Trying a shorter stem and/or higher rise might be worth a shot if you feel like you're too long and low in the front. You could also see if there's a shop nearby with a fitting service to help make sure you aren't fitted poorly causing the pain.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Anything you do 6 or 7 days a week will cause repetitive stress pain or injuries. Try a shorter stem with some rise or some riser bars that are wider/narrower, maybe move the saddle forward, maybe (depending on age and fitness) take a day off between rides to let your muscles recover.
    Bicycles don't have motors.

mtbr member
    I started with similar symptoms mostly on my right side. Made some position and ergonomic adjustments to my bike, only minor improvements. Beared through the numbness and pain for more than a few years until it became the unbearable and I couldn't shoot my bow either due to strength loss.

Had Cortisone shots in Arm and shoulder which helped some but problem came back, wouldn't go away.

Finally had an MRI done. Conclusion: Got a herniated disc in my neck.... Pinching nerves, causing the numbness and pain, and atrophying the muscles.

Doctor recommends surgery, and I will probably need it done someday. For now I've been doing physical therapy and it helps a lot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I do have herniated disc in my cervical spine it puts pressure on my spinal cord and causes pain in my left arm with numbness in my hand. I had 4 mri`s and have been aware of the injury for a few years.. I also have herniated discs in my lumbar spine. I have had shots and go to a good DR.
    Generally riding makes my back feel great.
    But this is different now.
    I started riding in 2012 but not consistently like I am now.
    I had a 100mm stem I have a 70 and a 50 all Thompson. I just switched to the 50mm with the same bars. I also have a jones loop bar that will drastically change my hand position. but I will try just the stem change first. thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by winginit View Post
    I do have herniated disc in my cervical spine it puts pressure on my spinal cord and causes pain in my left arm with numbness in my hand. I had 4 mri`s and have been aware of the injury for a few years..
    You don't think the pain is related to cervical nerve root compression? When was your last cervical MRI?

jcd's best friend
    You should consider professional body massages. I get them monthly and it helps me keep up with my cycling.
    Trek | Octane One | Transition

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuyuna View Post
    You don't think the pain is related to cervical nerve root compression? When was your last cervical MRI?
    a few years now. I am 51 and retired. original injury was a broken back after A 30 ft fall through a staircase years ago I walked out of the hospital undiagnosed cracked spine in the center of my back in 2009 it caught up to me at my first MRI the DR looked my my pictures and said when did you break your back? now I have pain everyday riding makes me feel the best I can get, I ride off road but I take no chances or do anything crazy to hurt myself . so im sure the injury does not help but its the same in both arms so im hoping its bike fitment. im looking for better comfort not perfect comfort. thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    You should consider professional body massages. I get them monthly and it helps me keep up with my cycling.
    I have been told its helpful for bicyclist.thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Maybe I will take a few days off and see if it feels better. but I don't want too.

All fat, all the time.
    Take an extra rest day once in a while, go for a hike instead.
    Have a professional bike fit done.
    You might need suspension.