AK kid who LOVES bikes!
    Mar 2018

Should I be doing more max HR training?

Alright, I apologize in advance here, I ask a ton of stupid questions on this forum, so thanks everyone who has taken the time to help and sorry to those I may annoy! Anyways, with that out of the way, Iíve been training quite a bit for a 100 mile mtb race and am thinking about doing a 200 mile road bike race, being that Iím 16 itís important that I build a solid aerobic base, so Iíve been doing lots of Z2 training for the past year with short 45 minute races scattered in and some structured intervals. So far Iíve been able to complete the 100 mile mtb race twice now (once when I was 15 and again this year at 16) and actually did very well this year, so my aerobic base must be atleast fairly good I would think..... anyways, right now my typical week is around 10 hours of training and Iíll be stepping up to around 12-13 this spring. But currently Iím doing 7 hours of z2 training, 1 hour of intervals, and 2 hours of purely fun riding. Ontop of that I also do weighted lunges, sumo squats, and calf lifts (35 of each, 4 days a week) and Iíll sometimes do some ice skating or go back country skiing. So, should I be doing more intervals to build up my anaerobic strength or is the weights and one hour of intervals enough? Iím also a fairly heavy person due to my height, Iím 6í2Ē and 180 if that changes anything. My focus is 10-12 hour races and the short Thursday evening races are purely just for fun, I really donít care too incredibly much how I do in them. What do you guys think? More Z2? More intervals? Something entirely different?

Rides all the bikes!
    Personal opinion, I'd keep doing what you are doing with a strong emphasis on doing skill work.

jcd's best friend
    You are very disciplined and passionate about cycling for your age! Congrats! Keep it up! Have you considered looking for a personal trainer that focuses on cycling? Riding a double century is no joke. I am still working on riding a single century!
    Trek | Octane One | Transition

AK kid who LOVES bikes!
    Mar 2018
    Thanks! I figured that 200 road miles roughly equates to 100 mtb miles, but it might mean investing into a nicer road bike..... I havenít looked into a personal trainer too seriously, just kinda train myself from advice from friends, internet research, and my year of training on the high school ski team from a coach that preached the Norwegian way of Z2! Iím kinda glad I havenít heard anyone say I absolutely have to do more intervals and high intensity training, I hate intervals! 😂 if it means Iíll be faster though Iíll do them though!

Bicycles aren't motorized
    Identify your weaknesses. Sounds like you have a good handle on the endurance training.
    It ain't supposed to be easy.

Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

AK kid who LOVES bikes!
    Mar 2018
    Yeah, short sub 5 minute efforts are definitely my weakness..... I also wonder though if by training harder to get better results now if I hurt my aerobic base later In life, donít know if thatís possible, but I really do wonder if itís better to be a touch slower now and work on my base for later as opposed to being anaerobic hungery.....

Bicycles aren't motorized
    Quote Originally Posted by AKRIDERK9 View Post
    Yeah, short sub 5 minute efforts are definitely my weakness..... I also wonder though if by training harder to get better results now if I hurt my aerobic base later In life, donít know if thatís possible, but I really do wonder if itís better to be a touch slower now and work on my base for later as opposed to being anaerobic hungery.....

You can continue building base and work on short duration max efforts.
    It ain't supposed to be easy.

Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AKRIDERK9 View Post
    Its sounding like youíre near the point you might want a more formal trainer/coach. Your beyond what i could give any advice too, im just an avid recreational rider. More formal i imagine would track and log progress and regimen better. Remember, training hard also means recovery is important.
    Intervals suck, but they help with the short high intensity efforts and recovery. Dont think they do a lot for endurance, but i dont think it hurts either.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    For the type of races you're training for, I don't think you need a lot of anaerobic. So unless you're getting bored what you're doing sounds like it is working well.
    If you ever decided to try shorter XC races or road races or criteriums say, then you'd definitely need to work on your intervals at higher wattage.
    A coach or even local experienced riders could help a lot as well I agree with that suggestion. A club maybe, even if it's a road club, would hook you up with experienced riders and out on rides where you can learn a lot by observing.

mtbr member
    You shouldn't be going anaerobic much (if any) during a long ride like that, you need lots of saddle time in z2/3. Fine to go z4/5 during your fun rides, though.
    Good luck.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

AK kid who LOVES bikes!
    Mar 2018
    Hmm, interesting reading! I do actually do quite a lot of anaerobic races over the summer in the form of cyclocross and 12k mtb races, but like I said, the focus is endurance! If there was a road club I wouldíve joined a few years ago! In Alaska there is only one highway and only a few paved side roads, combine that with a small town and thereís a definite lack of road club..... the fastest guys here on the peninsula have been great, theyíve really taken me under their wing! It helps that I work at the only shop in town too! Iím currently one of the 5 fastest cyclists on the peninsula, two of the other cyclists are right around my same fitness so that makes races fun, the fastest (or one of) cyclist in Alaska lives just a few miles away, but heís super quiet and does maybe one race a year, he is borderline professional though! Anyways, due to a rather small group of fellow cyclists in my area I always like to see what a more diverse group of cyclists on the web have to say, this has been great, keep the comments rolling! 😁

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    If you're looking to fine tune your training you need to learn your body type and train accordingly. It's not something I know enough about so I'm not going to give any advice on that. Some people have prodominently fast twitch muscle fibers and others slow twitch. Your ideal work out sessions will depend on your muscle type.

If you're looking to improve your fitness you may want to take a look at your recovery. Structured workouts are great but break your body down. You get stronger during recovery. What you eat and when you put in those hard efforts around the rest of your easy rides can make a big difference.

Otherwise I wouldn't change anything besides trying to put in more hours per week if it isn't getting to stressful. During the week aim for 80% z1-2 HR and 20% everything you've got in a structured workout or race. Pros ride 20 to 25 hours a week but they stick to the 80/20 ratio. If putting in more hours increases stress levels it can decrease your performance so you need to find that balance.