Shoes size Road vs MTB- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Shoes size Road vs MTB

Hi

I'm after some spd MTB shoes and I just wanted to check if the sizing is any different from a road show.

I currently have Shimano size 44 for the road, so I assume a 44 for a MTB would be ok?

Cheers

Rollin' a fatty
    Should be the same within the same brand/manufacturer but sometimes you get different brands with similar sizing. Own Answer and Shimano mtb shoes and Specialized road shoes, all are 44 and fit fine.

Some brands run narrower than other thou.

bust a move
    Both my pairs of Shimano road and mtb size 44 fit the same.

My older sidi mtb shoes ran a little smaller.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Cheers guys, just borrowed a set of my mates Specialized MTB shoes in a 44 and they fit nicely.... now to try them on the bike to see if I like clip in pedals offroad

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I wear the same brand and size in both. Pretty much identical except the MTBs have a more square toe so the toes have some more room.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Best to try them on or if you are ordering online to have a good return policy. Pearl Izumi road shoes in one style were much tighter for the same size as their MTB shoe (went up a shoe size, but the fit was just longer and not good across the arch of my foot.

-eddie.
    why cant they just be in inches, we're americans dammit, and i thought we told the rest of the world that we weren't going to be reformed to their metric ways!!!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    To me it's all the same, especially that I use Crank Brothers pedals on both mtb and road. Have some aging pair of Adidas that look like running shoes (I actually ran in these when got flat far from home and wanted to make back in reasonable time). I was thinking about getting "true" road pedals but that would require getting additional pair of shoes (= extra expense and clutter). Since you started with road shoes you may not have the option to stick to one standard. In that case you better of just going to a store, fitting sand buying hoes there (I'd not buy clothing/shoes online unless had previously used same/similar model). Read reviews when buying online - others would complain if sizing was far off stated values. Also, while -eddie. complained at metric measurements it's better than the mess of inch sizing that comes in UK and US flavors (though I can't be sure if EUR sizes refer to metric, it does seem that CM (Canadian?) are in cm - full length of the shoe, just the way it should be ).
    Just buy locally unless difference in price is greater than return shipping or the selection was really miserable. Also free ship to store option (performance) may work for less common models.