Shoe Covers vs. Winter Shoes????- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Shoe Covers vs. Winter Shoes????

How do these compare in terms of warmth for winter riding into the 20s? I am looking at either using my current shoes with the Gore Thermo Racepower insulated shoe covers or a pair of Northwave Celsius shoes.

The shoes are more convenient but I am not sure if they are warmer...and are twice the price.

thanks
    Matt

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I always had problems with shoe covers. I have a pair of pearlizums winter shoes that are good in the 20's and not so good in the teens.

mtbr member
    I have shoe covers as well as Shimano MW80's winter cycling shoes. I've tried the both at temps in the low 30°F. The shoes felt warmer, even with wool socks. Plus the shoes are waterproof.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2013 Specialized Tricross Comp Disc
    2011 Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

Ride More, Work Less
    I've had good luck with just wool socks but I don't get out in temps lower than the mid 20s.

I would try a pair of Gore Windstopper socks before new shoes.
    Craigslist & MTBR --free ads for all

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I heard plastic bags over your socks work pretty well. I think I am gonna try that next time I go out in the super cold because the wool socks didn't cut it!

Plays with tools
    Shoe covers are no replacement for winter specific shoes. When it gets really cold you can use both.

OnTheTrailAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    Shoe covers are no replacement for winter specific shoes. When it gets really cold you can use both.
    Totally agree with ^^^.
    I tried shoe covers.
    I prefer shoes.

A good pair of shoe covers is about $100.
    A decent pair of shoes will be only $50. more.
    Plus, it'll save wear & tare on the shoes being covered.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Getting winter specific shoes changed winter riding to me (for the better). I used shoe covers for years. The best ones I found (which are no longer made) were Pearl Izumi Typhoon Booties. But even those were a pain for two reasons: 1) The shoes underneath the booties usually have little insulation on the bottoms so it always seemed "coldness" would radiate from the pedals through the shoe to my feet; and 2) The toes of the booties always flipped-up, making the fronts of my feet cold.

I did a quick search of what you are buying. They look ok. But I strongly recommend the Lake MXZ-302 shoes. They cost about 50-70 more, but (for what it's worth) I can vouch for them. I have walked in the snow and been on cold wet rides and my feet have stayed warm.

Good Luck

mtbr member
    I go with winter specific shoes for one reason only, walking. I cant imagine shoe covers hold up for long if you have to walk much.
    2011 Niner EMD
    Wounds Heal, Chicks dig scars, Glory lasts FOREVER!

mtbr member
    I would be another that would go directly to the shoes. I tried the socks and covers and spent way more money than if I went directly to the shoes. I ride in the 30's and the Shamanos are the only thing that keeps my feet warm. Hope this helps.
    I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I just hate vegetables.

Retired User
    I've always been happy with neoprene shoe covers. Along with wool socks, they'll keep me comfortable down to about 20 deg. Lower than that and I add chemical warmers, which has got me down to 5 deg F for a four hour ride. And they're cheap.

mtbr member
    Shimano MW80's really kept my feet warm AND dry.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I've found covers to be quite warm, but the cleat cut-out can get packed with snow/ice. Long term, I'd like to get winter specific shoes - perhaps like Ed's!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ecub View Post
    Shimano MW80's really kept my feet warm AND dry.
    I have always wondered about those shoes. Shimano advertises Gore-Tex, but how does one change out the cleat nuts? Does Shimano assume you will never have to do this, or is there a way to get to the nut from the bottom of the shoe? Otherwise, the gore-tex is throughout the whole shoe except the cleat area?

mtbr member
    On today's ride my front end wiped out on some ice on a stream crossing, had to dab, right foot broke through the ice into ankle deep freezing water. My booties, wool socks and shoes were soaked and I had to finish the ride (another 1.5 hours) in 25 degree weather with super cold feet. Luckily, I just ordered Shimano SH-MW81's the day before yesterday so today's dunking justified the cost... I hope.

Sweep the leg!
    Ride indoors. No covers or winter boots needed.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered View Post
    Ride indoors. No covers or winter boots needed.
    That reminds me, I should hit up Joyride 150 this February during my week off.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yD8QIxR8Ong" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Generally, I like to ride outdoors as much as possible in the winter. I've recently purchased some Shimano MW81 shoes. I have not tried them yet though.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah View Post
    I have always wondered about those shoes. Shimano advertises Gore-Tex, but how does one change out the cleat nuts? Does Shimano assume you will never have to do this, or is there a way to get to the nut from the bottom of the shoe? Otherwise, the gore-tex is throughout the whole shoe except the cleat area?
    The plates do move in the shoe, so I'm thinking that insoles are totally sealed. Therefore, I would have to assume that the owner doesn't have to change the cleat nuts. Of course, that's just a guess. I've never owned a shoe long enough to even have to change them. The main reason would be that I've only ridden with cycle shoes for about 6 months.
    Last edited by ecub; 01-28-2012 at 06:04 PM.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

Sweep the leg!
    There's always riding indoors at Ray's (Ohio & Wisconsin)
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered View Post
    There's always riding indoors at Ray's (Ohio & Wisconsin)
    I've never made the trek to Ray's, as I'm much closer to Joyride 150. I can get there in under 2h I think, but I've only gone once.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    How does the shimano winter shoes compare to Sidi Dragon, our other good summer shoes,

You compare 150$ shoes to near 100$ shoes cover. But you forgot that under those cover are my perfet fit shoes.

I am asking, as i found Northwave and Sidi winter shoes, but both are arond 300$... I belive Sidi winter shoes will feel just like my summer one.

For the last 15 year i use Trek shoes cover. they are correct for temps of near 0 degré celcius. I wonder if i could buy some Peral Izume mtb shoes cover for about 70$ our spend 4 time more on good shoes.

Our does Shimano shoes are great this day? They used to be the worst shoes i ever baught back in 1990's 2000 begin. I could peal off the sole in a week! Sidi have works great for me since my first sidi techno.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah View Post
    When you remove the insole, the bottom of the shoe is still sealed off. The cleat nuts are not accessible for replacement.

I've never needed to replace that part on any one of my shoes. Unless you over-tighten the bolts and strip the thread, you should not need to replace it.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Im gonna get some winter shoes next year. Multiple pair of wool socks and neoprene covers dont cut it when you have poor circulation in yo feets
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lapinGTI View Post
    How does the shimano winter shoes compare to Sidi Dragon, our other good summer shoes,

You compare 150$ shoes to near 100$ shoes cover. But you forgot that under those cover are my perfet fit shoes.

I am asking, as i found Northwave and Sidi winter shoes, but both are arond 300$... I belive Sidi winter shoes will feel just like my summer one.

For the last 15 year i use Trek shoes cover. they are correct for temps of near 0 degré celcius. I wonder if i could buy some Peral Izume mtb shoes cover for about 70$ our spend 4 time more on good shoes.

Our does Shimano shoes are great this day? They used to be the worst shoes i ever baught back in 1990's 2000 begin. I could peal off the sole in a week! Sidi have works great for me since my first sidi techno.
    The only cycling shoes I have are Bontrager road, Bontrager mtb, and the Shimano MW80's. I've only been using cycling shoes for about 6 months, so I can't really compare them to anything else. I have been using the Shimano winter boots for about 3 months almost every day and haven't had any problems with them or the insoles.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

All fat, all the time.
    Yup already been mentioned but same reason here. dedicated winter boots are waterproof. Totally worth it!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    This season I invested in winter shoes. I got those northwave GTX's and they are far and away superior to covers. I should have done it years ago. Covers can be OK but not many can deal with mountain biking conditions in terms of walking around so a few rides and they get beat.

Winter shoes will help keep your summer shoes in better shape as well!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by lapinGTI View Post

I own Sidi Storm winter shoes. They now collect dust or used on the trainer. They are absolutely the worst winter shoes. I think Sidi has a new named winter shoe, but be very wary.