mtbr member
    Jan 2018

ShockStop Seapost - Just sharing.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    A gravel bikers dream and a mountain bikers nightmare.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Yeah, first thing I thought of was putting it on my CX. But not at that price. I only paid $400 for the whole bike!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Yeah, it would be nice on a gravel bike and/or CX bike.
    Why do you think it would be a nightmare on a MTB?

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Bringing this thread back...
    What do you guys think?
    Expected delivery January 2019 at $160.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by j102 View Post
    Bringing this thread back...
    What do you guys think?
    Expected delivery January 2019 at $160.
    I think I'd rather have a dropper post on my CX and on my mountain bikes. I'd rather get the saddle down and give myself room to float off the saddle than ride through rough patches and expect the seat post to absorb the hits. I'd give it a try as a demo but I wouldn't buy one without having demo'ed it first.

I just got back from riding my rigid SS. It's really a lot harder on your arms than your legs/back. But staying loose, and with the plus tires, I just don't need the saddle to be absorbing hits.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    As we age, thereís a point where it no longer makes sense to beat yourself up. Get rid of the rigid fork and get a front shock. I love my SSs but at 57, thereís no way in hell Iím ditching my suspension forks.

I can stand and hover above and behind a non-dropper post for days. I see no need for a suspension post.
    Last edited by chuckha62; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:50 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I would not use it on a MTB. Like you guys say, I am constantly up and down using my legs to go through obstacles.
    But I think it makes sense on a CX/Gravel bike. I stay on the saddle for miles, either on pavement or on maintenance roads that donít have anything technical.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    As we age, thereís a point where it no longer makes sense to beat yourself up. Get rid of the rigid fork and get a front shock. I love my SSs but at 57, thereís no way in hell Iím dirching my suspension forks.

I can stand and hover above and behind a non-dropper post for days. I see no need for a suspension post.

But I just bought the rigid three weeks ago!

I really don't feel like it beats me up. If I start to feel beat up, I remind myself to stay loose. I have felt beaten up from riding my CX on single track, though. But with the plus tires, I'm surprised at how smooth it rides, I purposely hit roots and rocks. I am slower descending if the trail is rough and there is a new section that is not bedded in yet that has bigger hits that are worse than the old trail sections.

I really think rider weight has a lot to do with it; I'm a lightweight so I don't think my weight contributes to the pounding that a heavier rider would experience. I actually picked up a Reba with the bike incase I thought I needed suspension but at this point, I don't plan to use it. 55 btw.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Not a chance I'll be using it on anything. I tried a specialized bike with a suspension seatpost and the saddle height changing on every bump made for a pretty terrible experience.

mtbr member
    So this is basically an updated, less ugly Thudbuster...

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Fajita Dave View Post
    Not a chance I'll be using it on anything. I tried a specialized bike with a suspension seatpost and the saddle height changing on every bump made for a pretty terrible experience.
    Thatís a good point. The saddle height changes. I didnít think about it. Is it really that bad?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thatís a good point. The saddle height changes. I didnít think about it. Is it really that bad?
    It was on a used Specialized Sequoia that I got for my wife to try road cycling. She hated it to so we got a solid seat post. That post was telescoping so it was just like dropping you're saddle height. It caused some weird issues with your pedal stroke. Sometimes it's to low at the bottom of the stroke, other times it will be extending as your foot reaches 6 o'clock making the saddle height feel way to high all of a sudden. Just depends on the timing of bumps and your pedal stroke.

Not sure if it will be as much of a problem on that redshift post since it moves back and down. The rearward motion would help keep your effective reach to the pedals the same.

I still don't feel like it's all that necessary. Tires at the right pressure and bike frames ride so smooth on gravel now. If I'm racing CX I think a post like that would be the least of my concerns.

Music & Bikes
    That thing makes me think that I seriously considered these :

https://www.brooksengland.com/en_row...67-aged-1.html
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Yep, you might be right. It also comes with different springs to adjust the amount of suspension, depending on a personís weight.
    It might not be as bad. We would have to wait until it hits the market and read the reviews to make a conclusion.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    You'd have to increase the preload so that it stays put if you're just pedaling, and if you can't do that I'd be surprised and not interested. It looks good for a hardtail to me if the preload is firm.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Yes, one of the biggest problems with early rear suspension designs was pedal to seat distance changing upon compression.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.