Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Shin/Knee Guards for XC

7K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Mordock 
#1 ·
I'm currently doing all my XC on platforms because I'm not ready for clipless and the only problem with the flats I have is getting the lovely shin slap so I'm now in the market for some form of leg protection. What I was wondering was for XC riding do I really need the knee guards or would I just be better off and probably more comfortable with just the shin guards? Looking for some lightweight comfortable guards that won't annoy me to much after hours of pedaling.

661 Evo Shin Guard at Price Point I was looking at these or...

661 Riot Shin Guard at Price Point

Not really to sure though so any advice on different guards or whether or not I need the knee guards would be really appreciated!

#2 ·
first, do you have really good plats and shoes for platform pedals? (like 5-10s?) because when i actually had good grip, i eliminated shin bashing. not to say it cant happen, but greatly reduces it. i think sixsixone brand has some lightweight shin/knee guards that i was thinking about trying. more like foam than plastic

#6 ·
It's actually not hitting a body part against something that worries me, mine is ripping my calves open again. Done it a few times now... My main thing about the knee pads was just wondering whether or not they would be practical to have if all I was doing was protecting myself from the pedal slapping into my shin whenever I might slip.

You might want to check out these (G-Form Knee Pads, Pair), they are more expensive, but are very light, extremely comfortable, and provide good protection. The price is higher than the ones you are looking at and I wonder if they are worth it, and I am curious if anyone has used them yet.
I've actually used those before for skating and they were quite comfortable. Totally forgot about them, thank you for bringing them back up for me!

Edit: Wow I completely missed the forum section on safety gear and put this thread here. My apologies

#14 ·
My 661 Kyle Straits are incredibly comfortable. But they don't offer much in the way of shin protection.

If you're just worried about pedal scrape, there is always plastic soccer shin guards from a sporting goods store. I've seen people wearing them at the bike park. Probably a lot cheaper than mtb-specific pads will be, and will stop the pedals from drawing blood.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.