Shin/Knee Guards for XC- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Shin/Knee Guards for XC

I'm currently doing all my XC on platforms because I'm not ready for clipless and the only problem with the flats I have is getting the lovely shin slap so I'm now in the market for some form of leg protection. What I was wondering was for XC riding do I really need the knee guards or would I just be better off and probably more comfortable with just the shin guards? Looking for some lightweight comfortable guards that won't annoy me to much after hours of pedaling.

661 Evo Shin Guard at Price Point I was looking at these or...

661 Riot Shin Guard at Price Point

Not really to sure though so any advice on different guards or whether or not I need the knee guards would be really appreciated!

see me rollin, they hatin
    first, do you have really good plats and shoes for platform pedals? (like 5-10s?) because when i actually had good grip, i eliminated shin bashing. not to say it cant happen, but greatly reduces it. i think sixsixone brand has some lightweight shin/knee guards that i was thinking about trying. more like foam than plastic

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    first, do you have really good plats and shoes for platform pedals? (like 5-10s?) because when i actually had good grip, i eliminated shin bashing. not to say it cant happen, but greatly reduces it. i think sixsixone brand has some lightweight shin/knee guards that i was thinking about trying. more like foam than plastic
    I'm riding Dark Cycle Arachnids with Nike 6.0 skate shoes. They grip really well but I still manage to slip now and then.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I've only ever hit my knee badly once. I was in a skills park. It hurts like crazy, but I haven't gone out and bought knee pads. If I spent more time in a skills park, I would.

Hope that helps.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

banned
    You might want to check out these (G-Form Knee Pads, Pair), they are more expensive, but are very light, extremely comfortable, and provide good protection. The price is higher than the ones you are looking at and I wonder if they are worth it, and I am curious if anyone has used them yet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    I've only ever hit my knee badly once. I was in a skills park. It hurts like crazy, but I haven't gone out and bought knee pads. If I spent more time in a skills park, I would.

Hope that helps.
    It's actually not hitting a body part against something that worries me, mine is ripping my calves open again. Done it a few times now... My main thing about the knee pads was just wondering whether or not they would be practical to have if all I was doing was protecting myself from the pedal slapping into my shin whenever I might slip.

Quote Originally Posted by traildoc View Post
    You might want to check out these (G-Form Knee Pads, Pair), they are more expensive, but are very light, extremely comfortable, and provide good protection. The price is higher than the ones you are looking at and I wonder if they are worth it, and I am curious if anyone has used them yet.
    I've actually used those before for skating and they were quite comfortable. Totally forgot about them, thank you for bringing them back up for me!

Edit: Wow I completely missed the forum section on safety gear and put this thread here. My apologies

Fat-tired Roadie
    Well, I've only ever managed to bang my knee into my pedal running with a 'cross bike. So, no.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

b a n n e d
    G-Form pads FTW. Really happy with mine.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    There are some really good cheap and minimalist shin guards marketed for BMX b/c cheesegrating the shins is all too common.

Check DAN'S COMP - Bmx Bikes, Bmx Parts, Bmx Clothing, Bmx Shoes and Bmx Accessories!

and here for discounts if you buy from them
    DANS COMP Coupon Codes - all coupons, discounts and promo codes for danscomp.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have a pair of 661 Evo shin guards. I like them a lot. I wear them when I go to the local indoor skate park on my 24". I also wear them for XC after I slam my shin to protect my leg until it heals.(ride clipless and still hit my shin occasionally)

Iko
    mtbr member
    661's are so comfy I always forget to take them off after a ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc View Post
    Yep, bloody great, light and comfy

see me rollin, they hatin
    perhaps these bad boys?

they almost look a little femmy, but i dont think they're supposed to be. i may get some, because i had me a nasty kneecap slam on a pyramid shaped rock months ago, and there is STILL evidence. man it sucked.
    Sixsixone Rhythm Knee/Shin Guard '12 - product summary - Bing Shopping

mtbr member
    My 661 Kyle Straits are incredibly comfortable. But they don't offer much in the way of shin protection.

If you're just worried about pedal scrape, there is always plastic soccer shin guards from a sporting goods store. I've seen people wearing them at the bike park. Probably a lot cheaper than mtb-specific pads will be, and will stop the pedals from drawing blood.
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    i haven't slammed my shins since i bought wellgo mg1 pedals and 5.10 shoes about a year ago. no lie!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks for the help and advice everybody! I'll definitely look into to all that everyone has mentioned. Also sounds like maybe I should invest in some 5.10s as well.

mtbr member
    I love my Fox Launch Pro Knee/Shin guards... they've saved my knees a couple of times! I would recommend them. I do normally need to adjust them once the first few minutes after riding but after that they seem to hold in place pretty well.

Members who have read this thread: 0