Shimano XTR pedals SPD- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Shimano XTR pedals SPD

Hi I have some shimano XTR - SPD pedals and they have been fantastic for the last 3 yrs , But lately Ive been becoming unclipped a lot easyer than normal .

1/ is it just worn cleats - or something in the pedal fixings (hoping its worn cleats , much easier to remmedy)
    2/ if it is something worn in the pedal itself ( housing - fixings - springs whatever ) can you rebuild these pedals , and replace with new springs etc .
    3/ is there a recomended service - bearings - lube - etc for these pedals , (walkthrough or a link much appreciated )

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Cleats is the no brainer first stop if you've never replaced them.

That said, I had a pair a few years back, older than dirt, but the spring on one lost it's *pop*. I tightened it, still no good. I called and asked if they could replace the springs, they told me to send them in for a look see. Two weeks later, brand new XTR's showed up on my doorstep.

Thanks Shimano
    Cannondale Lefty and HeadShock servicing, wheel building, etc...

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

SSOD
    Should just be the cleats if you haven't replaced them in a while. Only maintenance I do is a little oil on the springs every now and then to keep them working properly.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by twedspeed
    Hi I have some shimano XTR - SPD pedals and they have been fantastic for the last 3 yrs , But lately Ive been becoming unclipped a lot easyer than normal .

1/ is it just worn cleats - or something in the pedal fixings (hoping its worn cleats , much easier to remmedy)
    2/ if it is something worn in the pedal itself ( housing - fixings - springs whatever ) can you rebuild these pedals , and replace with new springs etc .
    3/ is there a recomended service - bearings - lube - etc for these pedals , (walkthrough or a link much appreciated )

Check the bearings for play....if so you need to tear it down and repack the bearings with grease...be sure to reset the seal properly.

Members who have read this thread: 0