Shimano clipless pedals- Mtbr.com
    G
    Mr. Lurker

Shimano clipless pedals

Trying to decide on a good starter set; I have the PD-M545, however, I want to try a different pedal - the one sided clipless takes more effort to clip into.

Thinking about the PD-M540.

Anyone use PD-M545? these are a platform with clipless; will this be better if choosing to unclip in a tricky section?

How are those Wellgo pedals, pretty crappy?

Any other recommendations?

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Stay away from Wellg-Hoe for sure. They're a great pedal if you enjoy being frustrated with your bike.

What makes you so set on platform w/ clips as opposed to a straight clip like the SPD M520? I know a lot of people enjoy these; they seem to be a standard for clipless. I sure have enjoyed mine.
    Go ride your bike.

I Have Cookies
    M545's rock! I use them on both my trailbike's!! Go get em......Stay far far away from the welgo crap!
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Did you adjust the spring on the side that is harder to clip into?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Go with the XT's

mtbr member
    The XT level pedal is a solid recommendation. Also, just practice lots with clipless pedals, set at low tension to make it easy to unclip. I know once I got used to mine, I never used the platform side anymore.

Get a set of platform pedals to use for riding FR/jumping etc.
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Get XT, or pay $50 less and get the exact same pedal in the 540. Either way. You will have enough platform on those to give some nice support.
    ... And I Am You,
    And What I See Is Me!

mtbr member
    I have 3 sets of Shimano spd's and 3 sets of Wellgo's, don't notice any difference.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Polishdog
    Trying to decide on a good starter set; I have the PD-M545, however, I want to try a different pedal - the one sided clipless takes more effort to clip into.

Thinking about the PD-M540.

Anyone use PD-M545? these are a platform with clipless; will this be better if choosing to unclip in a tricky section?

How are those Wellgo pedals, pretty crappy?

Any other recommendations?
    545s are great beginner and everything-else pedals (especially for downhill/freeride).

The big platform makes it easy to clip-in, provides lots of stability while riding, and so on.

What they are NOT for is they are NOT for unclipping and trying to "ride" unclipped on the platform. You WILL CRASH if you try and do this. Clipless pedals give you MORE control and allow you to ride much nastier terrain due to the secure interface and not being bounced all around. If a section is above your skill level, you should unclip, and walk the section. I love being able to ride real nasty sections with my 545s, yet if I tried to do the same thing (unclip), I'd also be at a much higher risk of slipping off the pedals or losing control.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildeyes
    Get XT, or pay $50 less and get the exact same pedal in the 540. Either way. You will have enough platform on those to give some nice support.
    I have both the XT's and the 540's. Same pedal, different color, different price. Either would make a great starter/ long-haul pedal.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Just get the 520s and practice with something that doesn't have a platform. They are a real nice pedal.

mtbr member
    I have the M7701 (XT) and the M970 (XTR). These are both great pedals.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I've got the UNION SP 5600 in Ti. There're superb, very light (250g). Lighter and half of the price of Shimano XTR.
    ... but they are difficult to find online

Members who have read this thread: 0