mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Set back seat post >30mm

I need a set back seat post and I'm not seeing anything greater than 30mm. I know I've seen pictures of bikes with seat posts that are bent and set back what looks like more than an inch. What might those be called so that I can find one?

My bike comes with a 20mm set back by default, so after deciding that I need more it kind of limits my options . A better fitting bike is in the not so distant future, but in the mean time I'd like to stop bending rails on my seats from setting them back too far.

Thanks

Bike Geek

ibeam?

Perhaps an I beam seatpost and saddle would work?
    RIP AL DAVIS

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Inch a quarter is about all you get. I do not know of, nor ever heard of a seatpost with a setback greater than 30mm, 20mm is about average. Look for a seat with longer rails. Get a custom seatpost(big money).

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    There's the Velo-Orange Grand Cru seatpost, with just over 30mm setback. Looks like a nice post, but only available in 27.2x300mm.

http://store.velo-orange.com/index.p...g-setback.html

The bent post you're referring to might be the discontinued Titec Hell Bent post. You could try ebay for this one. Other posts with lots of setback include the Raceface XY and a number of Easton posts from a few years back (see pic).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Set back seat post >30mm-%24-kgrhqr-lge3hyoqhchbnz-lnr-e-%7E%7E0_3.jpg  

BM and PQ Trail Rep
    Google angled seat post
    That should get you lots of possibilities.
    The world does not revolve around you but your actions impact us all!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks everyone for the replies. It's looking as if 30mm is about the most I can get out of current, traditional style seat posts. I did look up the I-Beam system and it looks like it would work perfectly for me. But, even though I-Beam components are available... when I visit the SDG website it hasn't been updated since 2007! That has me a little concerned. OTOH, the Bel Air ST saddle and matching seat post are only $100 combined - a relatively small investment. And the saddle only weighs 210 grams.

Is there some terrible flaw in the I-Beam system? I read about the broken saddles but it's my understanding they fixed that issue with new materials for the rail.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Didn't Thomson's setback post put the bend lower?

Rivendell makes a seatpost for dealing with frames with too-steep seat tubes.

http://www.rivbike.com/products/show...x-250mm/11-048

Give the description a close reading. I notice it's not a very long seatpost, which could be a problem for a lot MTB frames. Also, one diameter available.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

monster member
    It may be cheaper and easier to just get a longer stem until you can get that better-fitting bike. Or wider bars should make you feel like you put a longer stem on.

A super lay-back post puts you behind the pedals, which may make it feel funny... like pedalling a recumbant.
    Have fun!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelspeed View Post
    It may be cheaper and easier to just get a longer stem until you can get that better-fitting bike.
    I'm thinking this is probably my best choice. I should just put the money saved towards a new bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Titec El Norte S-Bent seatpost gives 50mm of setback. Although they seem to be getting hard to find. I've had mine for years and like it a lot. Even has infinite seat tilt adjustment.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Yup, that's the one I remember seeing in a picture. There's two on ebay right now but they're both 27.2 and I need 31.6 .

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    You can buy a shim to make it work for you

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelspeed View Post
    It may be cheaper and easier to just get a longer stem until you can get that better-fitting bike. Or wider bars should make you feel like you put a longer stem on.

A super lay-back post puts you behind the pedals, which may make it feel funny... like pedalling a recumbant.
    Longer stem will not change the distance from the center of the saddle to the center of bb

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pavlov0032 View Post
    Longer stem will not change the distance from the center of the saddle to the center of bb
    I think that's why he suggested it, because it doesn't push you back... Just makes room on the bike.