mtbr member
    Nov 2018

Selling a new mountain bike?

I wasn't sure where to post this so just posted in general.

Currently going through the warranty process with Specialized, which at the moment I am less than excited about. It looks like what I am going to end up with a 20% discount on a new bike.

Realistically, what this probably means is a new Stumpjumper fsr for 4k.
    My question is this: is there any way to sell the bike for a decent price as a "new" bike, if I leave it in the box that it's shipped in?

Also, I don't expect to get MSRP, and realize the warranty will not transfer. Just looking to figure out my best options.
    Last edited by Lgmoto356; 1 Week Ago at 06:51 PM. Reason: More info

mtbr member
    For me, It would have to be a smoking deal to not have a warranty. I would not want to pay anywhere near MSRP for no warranty. I would be willing to need at least 1k off a 4k bike.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

No known cure
    Donate it to a high school team and write it off.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Donate it to a high school team and write it off.
    Provided there's an avenue for this, it's actually not a bad idea. As stated above, without a warranty, I would be loath to pay anywhere near MSRP, regardless of the condition of the bike. Half price would be the most you'd get out of me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    If I was only getting 20% off, I probably just wouldn't bother buying a new bike from them (assuming I just didn't want the bike). You can get 20+% off from bike shops with warranty a good portion of the year if you shop around, so as a private seller, I can't imagine you'd get more than you pay for the warranty bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lgmoto356 View Post
    My question is this: is there any way to sell the bike for a decent price as a "new" bike, if I leave it in the box that it's shipped in?
    Not really. You're probably taking a bath on it. Another option would be to trade it against a new bike. You can't sell it as 'new-other' but a bike shop can.

But you'll still loose...

mtbr member
    Agree that you're going to loose money if you try to sell it. And if you don't want it and are only going to sell it, why even buy it?

If you don't mind answering, what are the circumstances surrounding the 20% deal? First off, are you going through a shop? In my experience, you have to, and Specialized policy is that the shop has to assemble the bike, basically to ensure it's done properly, so there'd be no keeping it in the box. The shop, might look the other way on this.

How old was the bike and what happened to it such that you only got a 20% deal? At 20%, there's still probably ~15% margin left for the shop, which is as it should be as the shop has significant work to do in interacting with you, submitting the claim, assembling the new bike, etc.. What happens to the old bike? Usually it has to be surrendered and destroyed by the shop with the shop providing photographic evidence to Spec.
    Do the math.

since 4/10/2009
    no specialized dealer is going to give you a complete bike in a box. not gonna happen. no way specialized will ship it straight to you, either. they'll ship to a local dealer who will assemble it.

Not worth it to buy it at 20% off and resell it, because you're going to STILL have a big depreciation hit just from taking it home (buyer will have no warranty and probably no crash replacement discount of any kind, and the price they pay has to reflect this).

buy the crash replacement and ride it, or move along to something else.

was your old bike full of outdated parts that won't transfer to a new frame or something?

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Agree that you're going to loose money if you try to sell it. And if you don't want it and are only going to sell it, why even buy it?

If you don't mind answering, what are the circumstances surrounding the 20% deal? First off, are you going through a shop? In my experience, you have to, and Specialized policy is that the shop has to assemble the bike, basically to ensure it's done properly, so there'd be no keeping it in the box. The shop, might look the other way on this.

How old was the bike and what happened to it such that you only got a 20% deal? At 20%, there's still probably ~15% margin left for the shop, which is as it should be as the shop has significant work to do in interacting with you, submitting the claim, assembling the new bike, etc.. What happens to the old bike? Usually it has to be surrendered and destroyed by the shop with the shop providing photographic evidence to Spec.
    That is a point of contention at the moment. The defect is not due to impact, but they think it might be.

Seat tube is spiderweb cracked about half way between the top tube and bb.

Sending it in on Tuesday, and lbs is vouching for me. So hopefully his opinion and their testing determines that it was not due to impact.

The bike is a 2012, but has spent the majority of its life in a basement.

mtbr member
    The bike is a 2012, but has spent the majority of its life in a basement.
    That doesn't mean nothing hit it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    That doesn't mean nothing hit it.
    Thank you for that astute observation.

Life's a ride, enjoy it! Moderator
    Sell it for 50% so it doesn't wind up being held prisoner in the basement.
    Wanted, SRAM GX 2x11 rear derailleur

It ain't supposed to be easy.

mtbr member
    Thank you for that astute observation.
    I'm a pig, it's my job.

Bet a lot of bikes get damaged that way. Sitting in the basement or garage, wife or junior knock it over and say nothing.

mtbr member
    ^^^ jra.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    For me, It would have to be a smoking deal to not have a warranty. I would not want to pay anywhere near MSRP for no warranty. I would be willing to need at least 1k off a 4k bike.
    I think what he's saying is he'll get a 5K Stumpy for 4K. So there you go... $1K off the $5K bike. You're in there!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I can get 20 off at times around now going forward from my local Spec shop. So you're not going to get me to be interested with no warranty. I'd ask for a 20% off coupon to be used off the best deal I can make at any Spec dealer. Otherwise you're not getting anything. At the end of season 30 off can happen. So plus your coupon to that is something.