Sell OR Keep - The dreaded dilemma strikes again!- Mtbr.com
    Drifter
    May 2020

Idea! Sell OR Keep - The dreaded dilemma strikes again!

Somebody offered a few hundred bucks for my 2011 model, non-boost (20mm front 142mm rear), 26" 'All-mountain' fully. Fox 36 Talas 160mm fork, DHX 5.0 (7 inches rear suspension) and light DT Swiss wheels.

Barely used, good condition except for faulty brakes and rear shock needing a service. Used to be priced at 6 grands back then, I would imagine its value to be at least 1 grand considering the current market value and its capabilities.

However, I'm concerned about the availability of parts as the mtb world is moving towards new standards. I would prefer to keep updated with the standards for ease of upgrading.

For myself, I love how the mtb world is moving towards 27.5+ with boost, and the trunnion mounted metric shocks, all which my bike lacks. Yet I would definitely keep it, if I found ways to limit the suspension to fit 27.5" wheels and convert/future proof the rear to boost.

Would appreciate if u guys have any idea to share

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The price of any item is subject to supply and demand, what you paid for the bike really is irrelevant. There is not a lot of demand for a 26" bike of any kind. You yourself say you are worried about future parts availability, well so is every one who would potentially buy your bike which is what brings the value down so much. If you just can't handle the thought of selling it for so much less than you feel it is worth, then keep it. The way the industry is operating now, pretty much any bike you buy now will be obsolete in five years anyways. You don't have to buy into the hype that your "old geometry" and "small wheeled" bike somehow stopped being able to be ridden offroad. If you like it, keep it and ride the crap out of it. If you're ready for something new, sell it for whatever you can get and buy something you like.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2015 KHS Sixfifty Team
    2019 Salsa Warbird
    2019 Canyon Endurace
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Fix the brakes, service the shock.

It's 9 years old and barely used. 5 years from now, if you put money into it, and bigger wheels, it might be 14 years old and barely used.

Just ride it.

Drifter
    May 2020
    Hello there @ljsmith @MSU Alum!
    Very interesting responses, appreciated.
    I own a 27.5+ boost bike too, so I thought if certain parts are interchangeable, I would have more flexibility especially when swapping in old parts when upgrading. However, I believe I could run a Boost 27.5+ front on the 26" fully, to sort of keep it partially future-proof.

Out spokin'
    I say sell it.

Why?

For one thing, the current pandemic has made every used bike worth more than it was pre-pandemic. Bike shops canít get new stock fast enough (or at all). The used market is hot now.

For another, my experience tells me selling would be the right thing for me, so thatís why Iím suggesting it to you. So whatís my used bike experience?

I have always had too many bikes. I typically average a new one per year. (This includes all bikes ó road, FS, tour, commute, hardtail, gravel, singlespeed, etc. Itís not like I get a new FS sled every year.) Anyway, improvements keep happening within every cycling genre. It doesnít take long to build up a garage full of albatrosses if youíre an N+1 sufferer.

My closest situation to yours: In 2017 I sold a 2011 Turner Sultan (29er FS) that was built to the hilt. King bling everywhere, etc. New retail value over $6000. The bike was awesome in its day. I sold it 6 years after it was new for $1600 and winced at taking that much money from the buyer because he was a co-worker. To this day I still feel guilty.

Front derailleurs, non-current hub spacing (or QRs, for heavenís sake), antiquated geometry, lack of dropper options, spindly frame construction compared to current frames ó some folks are okay with the deficiencies of older bikes but for those of us whoíre keeping current, no way. The new stuff eclipses the old stuff SO oppressively.

Not to mention more room in the garage. Iíve sold 3 bikes so far this spring and deposited a cool $3000 into my savings account. THATíS what Iím talkiní about.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ExistentialRider View Post
    Somebody offered a few hundred bucks for my 2011 model, non-boost (20mm front 142mm rear), 26"
    This as far as I needed to read before I concluded SELL.

mbtr member
    I broke my 2006 canfield balance in 2016. My fault entirely. Canfield treated me SUPER good (too generous imo), but i couldn't get a replacement rear triangle.

I miss the hell out of that bike. It was a tank, and the best thing ever for riding low speed, ledgey, super tech trails. Nothing like it any more, and i'm sure i'd ride it regularly if i still had it.

If that's how you feel about your 2011 bike, you should keep it. I've never had another FS that i felt that way about, though. boost/650b is a nonstarter though.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    id sell it, get the bike you really want

Rider
    If you can't sell it for what you *think* it's worth in this strong market, you can't sell it at all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    I say sell it.

Why?

For one thing, the current pandemic has made every used bike worth more than it was pre-pandemic. Bike shops canít get new stock fast enough (or at all). The used market is hot now.

For another, my experience tells me selling would be the right thing for me, so thatís why Iím suggesting it to you. So whatís my used bike experience?

I have always had too many bikes. I typically average a new one per year. (This includes all bikes ó road, FS, tour, commute, hardtail, gravel, singlespeed, etc. Itís not like I get a new FS sled every year.) Anyway, improvements keep happening within every cycling genre. It doesnít take long to build up a garage full of albatrosses if youíre an N+1 sufferer.

My closest situation to yours: In 2017 I sold a 2011 Turner Sultan (29er FS) that was built to the hilt. King bling everywhere, etc. New retail value over $6000. The bike was awesome in its day. I sold it 6 years after it was new for $1600 and winced at taking that much money from the buyer because he was a co-worker. To this day I still feel guilty.

Front derailleurs, non-current hub spacing (or QRs, for heavenís sake), antiquated geometry, lack of dropper options, spindly frame construction compared to current frames ó some folks are okay with the deficiencies of older bikes but for those of us whoíre keeping current, no way. The new stuff eclipses the old stuff SO oppressively.

Not to mention more room in the garage. Iíve sold 3 bikes so far this spring and deposited a cool $3000 into my savings account. THATíS what Iím talkiní about.
    =sParty
    I wouldn't feel guilty for selling that Turner for $1600. That's still a lotta bike and he can ride the crap out of it for 3 years and sell it for 4 or 5 hundred. Win win.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Drifter
    May 2020
    Would sell it too, if it fetched such a price. Not as fortunate as you @Sparticus

Drifter
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerVernon View Post
    If you can't sell it for what you *think* it's worth in this strong market, you can't sell it at all.
    Does it mean I'm pricing it too high?

Drifter
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    I broke my 2006 canfield balance in 2016....
    Thanks for sharing, I do love the quick 26" wheels but other than that I have another bike I love even more, less the full suspension. I love the new slack geometry, 27.5+ & boost. Similar wheelbase yet more stable and stiff, while retaining the nimble nature.

mtbr member
    I'm always amused at the mental gymnastics people go through to convince themselves that their bike is worth a certain dollar amount. I've found the used bike market to be awful and I never plan on getting my money back on anything. There also isnt some secret math formula you can use to extrapolate to know what your bike is worth based on what you paid a decade ago.

Personally, if I had a 26 with old part standards and someone offered me a couple hundred bucks, I'd take it and run.

Drifter
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    This as far as I needed to read before I concluded SELL.
    Am I asking too much? Guy is offering like 400+ bucks...

Rider
    Does it mean I'm pricing it too high?
    Name:  demandsupplycurve.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  27.1 KB

Drifter
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by nauc View Post
    id sell it, get the bike you really want

I wished I could, but at the moment I could only use that little money to bling up my 2020 hardtail...

Nat
    mtbr member
    Am I asking too much? Guy is offering like 400+ bucks...
    I don't even know what brand of bike you have.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I'm gonna be honest because this is the internet...

You are the kind of sucker I like to buy used stuff from, barely used things, high end stuff but old. Its perfectly functional with some elbow grease and for $300-400 bucks is a hell of a deal.

This is how I ended up with my 10 year old bike. Top of the line, 26er, full susp, top of the line components. The comparable bike right now is $6800 from the Santa Cruz website.

Not lighter, just comparable components and of course 29er. I',m not blind though, that bike is probably better than mine, but not by much and certainly not enough to warrant paying that price, specially when I had mine built for around $1200 usd 5 years ago.

Now, those suckers that sell great stuff at killer prices, sometimes just don't care losing money on stuff they don't like and have the means to absorb the cost without giving it a second thought. One guy sold me his brand new xtr groupset because he didn't like shimano for $300bucks the full set. He just didn't care, he just wanted the eagle.

I call them suckers because I'm not as well off as them to not care about money, but on their defence they are also winning by getting rid of something they will not use or be comfortable with.

Drifter
    May 2020
    Well seems like it's a win-win situation for the seller and buyer. For one, I can't give up on plus tyres and a frame to fit (bike for sale is a standard 26), boost and modern geometry, because I've tried it personally and it definitely got me hooked, loving the increase in stability, strength and stiffness while retaining most of the nimbleness.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Did I miss the part where you said whether you were actually looking to get rid of the bike when someone made you the offer?

If you never ride it, and/ or want to buy something new because it is better to ride sell it. Otherwise, keep it.

Donít get sucked into the ďfuture-proofĒ rabbit hole. Standards and trends change constantly, so you really donít know what is in fact future-proof.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.