mtbr member
    May 2014

sell a bike whole or part out?

What do most people have the best luck with? I have a friend who tried and tried to sell his Bianchi and had no bites. Then he tore it down and parted it out and he sold stuff.

How do you guys handle the shipping costs? Thats what kills a person. By the time you discount to a reasonable used price and add shipping costs it is as high as someone could order from an online retailer. I don't know how those places can ship a fork for cheap but for me to ship a fork costs 20 bucks lol. Thinking of selling a bike and not sure what's the best way to go. I have bad luck selling stuff.

Cycologist
    It depends on the bike and the components. I have an old 26er SS I need to sell. I'll break it down. A 26er V-braked SS isn't worth much now a days but it's got some parts that are worth something, including the fox fork and these particular cranks and the hubs. And there are a couple of parts I want to keep for spares for other bikes. It's a high quality steel frame so I should be able to get something for it and if not, it will be hung on the wall.

But if it is a newer bike with standard parts, it may be worth more to sell as a whole. Start with CL. It can be a hassle dealing with people but you don't have to worry about packing and shipping. If your "reasonable used price" with shipping charges is more than the new price, your used price isn't reasonable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

mtbr member
    I start local: Craigslist, local Facebook marketplace and FB cycling groups, local mtb forum. there might be some luck on Nextdoor or Offerup as well.

then move to MTBR Classifieds, Pinkbike, Reddit. Ebay is always a last resort for me, seems like more of a hassle.

if you want to sell it fast, put the complete bike on ebay. there's a good chance that you won't get what you want.

if you want to make more money, and you have individual parts worth selling, part it out. it will take longer, some parts might never sell, and you might have to do a lot of driving around to meet Craigslist buyers. In the end, parting out a bike ends up being a LOT of work.

if you're selling a part that needs to go in a large box (frame, complete bike, pair of wheels, etc), standard shipping rates will kill your "profit margin." Look up a company called Bike Flights. I sold a frame and it was going to cost me close to $100 to ship it with normal shipping rates, but Bike Flights helped me ship it for something like $30.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Years back I had an old Cannondale comfort type bike, it didn't have a handle bar or a seat because I put those on another bike.

The Cannondale was in great shape just missing those parts, I decided to sell it and had no takers when listing it as a "bike missing the handle bar and seat".

When I reposted it as a "Cannondale for parts" it sold the next day for more money.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Good idea on the craigslist. I havenít advertised on craigslist for years. The last time I did all I got was a bunch of scam replies. Iím still on the fence about whether I want to sell this bike. A part of me does but the other part of me is telling myself that Iím going to regret it in the future LOL.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    You should have good luck on CL, you might not get as much because the pool of buyers is smaller but they are cash and carry deals.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    I start local: Craigslist, local Facebook marketplace and FB cycling groups, local mtb forum. there might be some luck on Nextdoor or Offerup as well.

then move to MTBR Classifieds, Pinkbike, Reddit. Ebay is always a last resort for me, seems like more of a hassle.

if you want to sell it fast, put the complete bike on ebay. there's a good chance that you won't get what you want.

if you want to make more money, and you have individual parts worth selling, part it out. it will take longer, some parts might never sell, and you might have to do a lot of driving around to meet Craigslist buyers. In the end, parting out a bike ends up being a LOT of work.

if you're selling a part that needs to go in a large box (frame, complete bike, pair of wheels, etc), standard shipping rates will kill your "profit margin." Look up a company called Bike Flights. I sold a frame and it was going to cost me close to $100 to ship it with normal shipping rates, but Bike Flights helped me ship it for something like $30.
    I agree with a lot of this. But I don't like craigslist. Too many morons. I rate it as just above ebay in the "last resort" category. My primary spots are local cycling groups (either on Facebook, local forums, local bike swap events, etc), which usually gets me covered. After that, I'll go to mtbr classifieds. I tend to have fairly good luck overall that way.

Definitely parting a bike out will take time and effort. I especially don't like shipping larger items. I have before, and have pretty much always been burned by shipping costs, and buyers throwing a fit about those shipping costs.

I also agree that whether to sell whole or part it out depends in large part on what it is. I wouldn't even consider parting out a bike unless it had top level parts. If everything was fairly mediocre (or less), I'd sell complete.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Totally depends if the parts are upgrade parts or basic parts people already have. People want to upgrade to XTR, they dont want to upgrade to 9 speed Deore. If your parts wont make someone's bike lighter or 11/12 speed then sell the bike as a whole.

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by iowamtb View Post
    Good idea on the craigslist. I havenít advertised on craigslist for years. The last time I did all I got was a bunch of scam replies. Iím still on the fence about whether I want to sell this bike. A part of me does but the other part of me is telling myself that Iím going to regret it in the future LOL.
    If you're on the fence, don't sell it.
    What's wrong with him??

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I agree with a lot of this. But I don't like craigslist. Too many morons. I rate it as just above ebay in the "last resort" category. My primary spots are local cycling groups (either on Facebook, local forums, local bike swap events, etc), which usually gets me covered. After that, I'll go to mtbr classifieds. I tend to have fairly good luck overall that way.
    Craigslist is 100% better then just the general FB Marketplace though (not talking about specific groups). I'll never sell anything there.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 93EXCivic View Post
    Craigslist is 100% better then just the general FB Marketplace though (not talking about specific groups). I'll never sell anything there.
    I bet. I have never tried selling on the general marketplace. It sketches me out too much.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk