SeatPost Sizing....Does 31.2mm exist??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

SeatPost Sizing....Does 31.2mm exist??

The seat on a Haro V1 broke. I'm trying to replace it and I don't have a micrometer. To the best of my ability, I measure it to have a diameter of 31.2mm. I measured with a straight ruler across the bottom, as well as dividing the circumference by pi. Both are almost spot on 31.2mm. I can't find any seatpost in this size though??
    I also looked up haro's specifications, and they list it as a 27.2mm, which is clearly is not.

What am I doing wrong? I can find a 30.9mm or a 31.6mm...will either of these two work?
    Suggestions would be great, as I don't know were to go from here...

Thanks.

Almost forgot, the old seatpost is made by Kalin, and lacks any meaningful marking as to its size, hence my measurements above.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Sob Rogue
    What am I doing wrong? I can find a 30.9mm or a 31.6mm...will either of these two work?.
    www.bikepedia.com says a haro V1 takes a 30.9 seatpost.

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sob Rogue
    The seat... What am I doing wrong?
    1. If the seat broke, you don't need a new seatpost.
    2. You need to have that ruler re-calibrated!
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

31.2mm Certainly Exists

A quick search didn't turn up anything high end but there are several brands of them on par with your Kalin.

No markings for real? I've never owned a seatpost that didnt have its size listed right below the minimum insert line. Unless of course its been cut shorter....

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by erik1245
    1. If the seat broke, you don't need a new seatpost.
    2. You need to have that ruler re-calibrated!
    I actually broke the rails on the seat, and subsequently broke the vice for the rails on the seatpost.

Quote Originally Posted by sprunghunt
    www.bikepedia.com says a haro V1 takes a 30.9 seatpost.
    I bought the bike in 2005, which according to your website, has a 27.2mm bike post. I'm pretty sure its a 2005....but then again maybe I bought the 2006, at the end of 2005, I don't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Shayne
    A quick search didn't turn up anything high end but there are several brands of them on par with your Kalin.

No markings for real? I've never owned a seatpost that didn't have its size listed right below the minimum insert line. Unless of course its been cut shorter....
    A google search for me only brings up 1 result, a company in the UK, doesn't really help me, as I'm in the US.
    And, yes the only marking on it is 2060, which I think may be the aluminum type.

I guess I'll just play a little game of roulette....I'm leaning towards the 30.9 as its fairly close to my measurement, and in light of sprunghunt's find. Not sure though.....

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    I've got a frame that takes a 31.4 post size which is an oddball also (but not so oddball that I couldn't get a Syncros Hardcore post for it, or a Kalloy Uno), so I don't doubt someone out there made frames that were reamed out to take 31.2.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    You could always get the 30.9 and shim it with a coke can if the seat post is indeed 31.2. I've done it a few times with 26.8 posts on bikes that take 27.2. Never had a problem and I rode some of them like that for years.

the giant.
    did u measure the inner diameter of the seat tube or the outer diameter?

Members who have read this thread: 3