Which Seat post dropper should I buy?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Which Seat post dropper should I buy?

Hi,

I am having trouble deciding which seat post dropper I should go with?

I heard that among the best right now are the Rock Shox Reverb and Kind Shock Lev. These go for $300 - $400 and I think it is a bit too much to spend on a seat post. I am willing to spend somewhere in the range of $200 -$250.

I've heard Gravity Dropper are good too.

The diameter of my Seatpost is 27.2mm.

I'd appreciate some suggestions.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    It seems like every dropper post has issues. I was talking to a mechanic at my lbs about it. He said they are constantly working on or sending droppers back to the factory. I really want one, but it seems the companies don't have it down yet.
    2013 StumpJumper FSR Comp 29er
    2011 Trek Sawyer 29er
    2000 Bianchi b.u.S.S.
    1999 Trek 930
    1997 Trek 850

Big Mac

Issues occur sometimes. But my reverb has been trouble free for over a year. OP, you've fairly well pigeon holed yourself with your budget.

mtbr member
    I think Gravity Dropper is your only choice for a 27.2mm post.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thomson has a 27.2mm dropper post coming out soon, but it will be expensive.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Kind shock has some cheap ones, my friend bought two. They are the eTen model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

I've had the kind shock i900 for 3 years, happy with it. I weigh 220 and ride it hard 2-3 times a week. It's pretty dry where I ride so it does need to be maintained, lubed, etc. only complaint is I'm tall so I wish it had more than 4" travel. Paid ~$200 in 2011

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Last fall I bought a giant contact dropper for $250 here in Canada. It has worked flawlessly thus far; however, my bike was in my basement since I installed the post....waiting for winter to leave before giving the post a real workout.

I looked at a reverb, but did not want to spend the money and did not want the extra work of bleeding it.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    A lot of you guys are mentioning posts that don't come in 27.2mm...

But if we're talking any size post, I just picked up a Fox DOSS and I like it. Since the height adjustment is mechanical I don't think it will fail like so many Reverbs and other droppers (including Thomson) have. It also doesn't have any setback, which was important to me. The two position drop works really well and I see no need for infinite adjustment. And finally, it looks really good on my bike - Gravity droppers are just too danged ugly with that boot...

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I bought the new KS LEV about 10 months ago because I heard they held up throughout riding time and time again in bad weather… so far it's awesome! Good Luck!!!

Rent this space for $
    As said above, they ALL are experiencing failures at some point. Even the All Mighty KS LEV! I'll probably be chastised for saying it but at this point after reading about and personally seeing the experiences of others with a multitude of different droppers, I'd buy the same Crank Bros Kronolog that I have right now. My first one stripped out and wouldn't stay fully extended but the newer complete replacement set-up they sent me within ONE WEEK of receiving my failed unit has been flawless. If it fails again somewhere down the line like all the others are proving to, I know I am one week out till I receive the fix. Not weeks and weeks as with most the others. I like that it's 100% user serviceable and completely mechanical without the more complicated hydraulic systems. The infinite height adjustment is also a big positive.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    As said above, they ALL are experiencing failures at some point. Even the All Mighty wouldn't stay fully extended but ONE WEEK of receiving my failed unit has been flawless and is also a big positive.
    Alrighty then....

But seriously if I was in the market today my first choice would be the Thomson.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Rent this space for $
    ^^ISWYDT

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    ^^ISWYDT

Sorry Sack but you left that door wide open and I couldn't help but walk through it. I knew you had a sense of humor so I jumped.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I'd buy the same Crank Bros Kronolog that I have right now. My first one stripped out and wouldn't stay fully extended but the newer complete replacement set-up they sent me within ONE WEEK of receiving my failed unit has been flawless. If it fails again somewhere down the line like all the others are proving to, I know I am one week out till I receive the fix. Not weeks and weeks as with most the others. I like that it's 100% user serviceable and completely mechanical without the more complicated hydraulic systems. The infinite height adjustment is also a big positive.
    I been hearing about how good the Rockshox Reverb and Kind Shock Lev are. I haven't heard anything about the Kronlog. Based on what you said, I'll look into this one.

I appreciate everyone's input, btw.

Rent this space for $
    If you dig around, you'll find plenty of hate out there for the CB Krono because the early version had issues as I mentioned above. You likely won't top CB's customer service. Some say it's because their sh*t always breaks so they get good practice. I'm not of that mindset. They took phenomenal care of me when I had my Krono issue and the total replacement unit has been flawless for quite a lot of hours on the trail and I use the bajeezus out of it on my trail network. I don't even want to ride without one, anymore.

Good luck regardless of what direction you go.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I just got a Gravity Dropper Turbo LP. Chose it because of mechanical simple design and the reviews of their customer service. took it for first ride on the trails yesterday. Amazing! Dropper post is easily the best upgrade I have ever mde. One ride blew me away. now I know why riders keep putting up with all the relaibility BS, it is that much of a ride changer. My main trail is very flowy, table tops, drops, etc...and the lower height allows so much more pop and spring from my legs, and lower center gravity, it was incredible. i am ordering another one today for my other bike....WHY did i wait so long to buy one!!!!???????

Just Joshin' ya!
    I have a KS I900 that has never given me trouble. I also bought a cheap-o Origin8 Ultim8 for 85 bucks off ebay for my XC bike. While super finicky, it works and is still going strong after about 7/8 months.
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    I just got a Gravity Dropper Turbo LP. Chose it because of mechanical simple design and the reviews of their customer service. took it for first ride on the trails yesterday. Amazing! Dropper post is easily the best upgrade I have ever mde. One ride blew me away. now I know why riders keep putting up with all the relaibility BS, it is that much of a ride changer. My main trail is very flowy, table tops, drops, etc...and the lower height allows so much more pop and spring from my legs, and lower center gravity, it was incredible. i am ordering another one today for my other bike....WHY did i wait so long to buy one!!!!???????
    I feel the same way and bought another for my HT. Loving the droppers.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBMILES View Post
    I feel the same way and bought another for my HT. Loving the droppers.

yeah, I was "considering" one for the past 3 years but the reliability and price turned me off. I also was keptical of the river review "hype" on the ride difference. I am not advocating for GD here, get anyone you like and when it's working you'll be floored by the improvement. I was also of the mindepset of "just get behind the saddle" but I found yesterday that the dropper is far more than an assist on steep descents. it's not getting behind the saddle, which in some instance may throw off you CoG and was the front end, but the ability to squat without the seat in the way. one ride I was surging off drops and popping off lips and flowing in berms and rollers. squatting and weight transfer benefits are huge. if you are waiting don't deny yourself, just get one and be amazed...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Over the past 2 years I have purchased three things that met or exceeded the hype

1 Dropper Post - amazing
    2 Salck, short stay, stiff 29er HT - Yelli
    3 Shimano hydraulic brakes

Keep it coming...I'd love to put a 120 Pike on the Yelli...

mtbr member
    WHat about Xfusion HiLo? I belive it comes in the small tube size you need. I don't have one but I run their fork and love it...
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

mtbr member

Upset

On my 3rd Thomson droppe "Elite", just completed my 17th ride.
    Troublefree so far.
    But now the interface between the post and the clamp is not exactly precise.(understatement)
    picture is from the front, but the rear is just the same.
    Had to use a piece of platic as a shim to fill the gap.
    keep up the good work.

Last edited by thasingletrackmastah; 04-22-2014 at 02:47 AM. Reason: added picture
    Belgian beer and Scotch whisky.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    X fusion does a small tube size. I ran their old model and it was flawless for the 12 months I had it. Just had to replace a few cables when it started to get hard to actuate.
    I now have a Lev integra, super super touchy and finicky to set up the cable attachment in the bottom of the post is terrible. If i had my time again I would buy the normal lev, couldn't run a reverb due to minimal exposed post and you can't get a reverb stealth in 100mm drop

Sent from my ZTE T83 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    It seems as if nearly every dropper post out there has an issue with something. I use an X-Fusion Hi-lo and haven't really come across any big problems although most reviews I've read were negative. If you go through and read most of the reviews online, the Rock Shox Reverb usually comes out on top as the most reliable with the KS Lev probably at #2. If I were to get a new post right now to replace my X-Fusion, it would probably be a KS Lev or a Specialized Command Post. I liked the action and feel of the Command Post, but my issue was the speed that it popped up. If not used properly, I can see it causing some pain to us guys in certain area, but I hear the newer ones actuates a tad slower.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakester View Post
    It seems as if nearly every dropper post out there has an issue with something. I use an X-Fusion Hi-lo and haven't really come across any big problems although most reviews I've read were negative. If you go through and read most of the reviews online, the Rock Shox Reverb usually comes out on top as the most reliable with the KS Lev probably at #2. If I were to get a new post right now to replace my X-Fusion, it would probably be a KS Lev or a Specialized Command Post. I liked the action and feel of the Command Post, but my issue was the speed that it popped up. If not used properly, I can see it causing some pain to us guys in certain area, but I hear the newer ones actuates a tad slower.
    When I did my research it seemed like the GD was perhaps most reliable, but also the worst looking and might be somewhat limiting in that it doesn't have "infinite" adjustment. the looks and the infinite adjustment were not that important to me. i also knew I wanted to a oid hydraulics and air.

I noticed some GD owners complain about the force needed to actuate the lever when the seat is down. I asked GD about this and they said "slightly weight the seat when you actuate the lever" Bingo! it takes almost no force at all when you do it like that. In one ride I had it down, and you avoid the ball crushing return, too.

my second Gd is supposed to arrive this week--can't wait!!!

mtbr member
    This is the KS Lev I put on my wife's Yeti with a 27.2. No way to service the air chamber. If you need something that is pretty bombproof, the Gravity Dropper is probably a better choice.
    Kind Shock LEV Dropper Seat Post 27.2x100mm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flucod View Post
    Just got a new bike that came with the Reverb. It works OK and I do like how it looks with the stealth routing, but the GD does work a ton better, no comparison.
    No comparison? Really? Tons better? I own both and the reliability factor of the GD is a main selling point, and why I'm keeping mine. However the smoothness, silent infinite adjustment, and stealth bling looks of the Reverb IMO is a comparison worth looking at, and why I'm running one on my main ride. Another added bonus with the Reverb is I don't have that spring creaking sound like I'm jumping in an antique bed every time it goes up and down.
    Santa Fe, NM

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Another vote for the gd. Here's something to think about. Infinity adjustment sounds good but is it necessary? On my gd it has 3 settings. All the way up for climbing. 1 inch down for when your past the climbs and get on the flowey stuff but still need to get behind the seat. And all the way down for downhills. The positive to this is you always know exactly where your seat is going to be plus as everyone has said they are super reliable.